Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 15:55
Well Paul, I just played the Emerson album, again it made me think of HELP (Jimi Hendrix and ELP was more than a rumour): powerful guitarwork and lush Hammond organ Approve

This week I received promo CD's from new Finnish band PPRY and new Mexican band Aly, both sound dynamic and very interesting, I hope to tell you more very soon.

2008, what a year for lesser known and unknown new progrock bands, one of the biggest
        surprises  is the new Anima Mundi album, great symphonic prog from Cuba ClapClap !

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 04 2008 at 16:11
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 17:43
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I would like to dedicate this post to the visitors of this thread Thumbs Up

My favorite (new) progrock albums in 2008:

1)      Albatros – Pentadalia (exciting Heavy Prog from Spain)

2)      Il Bacio Delle Medusa – Discesa .. (the best from Italy since many years)

3)      Simon Says – Tardigrade (mindblowing vintage keyboard sound from Sweden)

4)      Keith Emerson Band Featuring Marc Bonilla – Same (what a return)

5)      Nostradamus -  Testament (splendid heavy version of Solaris)

6)      Aviva Omnibus – Nutracker In Fury (sensational keyboards and guitars)

7)      Willowglass – Book Of Hours (Trons and Moog Taurus bass pedals, hmm)

8)      Survival – Crusader (excellent new Dutch band with wonderful keyboards)

9)      Don Airey - A Light In The Sky (so exciting)

10)   JPL – Retrospections Volume I (dynamic guitar-oriented eclectic prog)

ClapClapClap,

Agree with a lot of this. i'll list comments in the order you've put them...

1) I have listened a few times to the Albatros album and yes it's pretty good.  I have to listen more to know precisely but it makes a very good impression on first listening.

2) The Bacio album ill  get shortly from Hans, i expect it'll be pretty good.

3) Tardigrade is a magnificent album indeed, i'm a bit surprised really you put it so high on your list since i haven't heard you so much about this album. I'ts really a killer.

4) I'm sure Keith has made a good album yet again.

5) As  i said earlier,  it's great. For people who like Solaris i'd like to add it sounds more like Nostradamus than Mars chronicles. My very personal idea is Solaris-Nostradamus is best, than comes the Nostradamus album itself together with Solaris's Mars chronicles. In the end it doesn't matter, if you're into Solaris you can't miss this and if your'e not either you shouldn't be reading this or you should be heading to the next (internet) shop where you can get this +all the Solaris albums. I'm a bit annoyed btw that Nostradamus is not listed here on the site. I can easlily see that not every new band can be listed immed but Solaris is pretty well known to lovers of Sympho and it's reasonable to expect that an offshoot of this band get's incorporated on the archives asap. If a biography is needed i'm willing to do some work here.

6) Don't know it

7) Yes it's good, a bit better than their first album. I have the album, copied it to my mp3 player, after this album  Hypnos's Eclectic measure comes. Bad luck for Willowglass, initially i played them in two's, i quickly learned that while Willowglass's album is certainly not bad i constantly returned to the Hypnos album. While there's no relation between Hypnos and Willowglass in itself it says something about the degree of exitement that is generated. Where is the Hypnos album in your list btw Erik? i know you love them too but maybe too well known already?

8) Just as Albatros first listen today, amazing good keyboards with very good compositions. Where i liked Albatros on first listen i liked this band maybe even more. Really great.

9) I'ts on the list, so i'll get it from Hans (Progwalhalla shortly).

10) A magnificent record which i got from the master (Jean Pierre Louveton, guitarist of Nemo) himself at the Progfarm concert. For me it's more easy to listen to than a Nemo record which takes me some more time to appreciate.The music goes back to for instance basic Jazz rock more than Nemo records which have more influences all together. In the end the verdict for me is clear, you have to get all the Nemo albums and all the JPL albums. Once you start on their discography you'll know what i mean.

I remember you recommended Mindfurniture once, also on a Progwalhalla meeting.There weren't too many takers then, it's a pretty good album just the same, maybe not a total masterpiece but especially the first ~20 minute piece the trial is great to listen too. It's certainly better than some other symphonic prog bands that're listed on this site. I never regretted picking up this one...

Edited by Dirk - December 04 2008 at 18:00
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 12:35

Thanks for your extensive comments Dirk, about Hypnos 69, the release was last year Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 07 2008 at 09:02
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 14:45

The previous months I have written a bunch of reviews about lesser
                         known and unknown new progrock bands from all over the world, including: 

The Healing Road (Germany) – Timanfaya

Gerson Werlang (Brazil) – Memorias Do Tempo

PPRY (Finland) – Rainsing The Skeletons Of Fire By Hand

Aly (Mexico) – Hypotesis Ubicua

Sergio Alvarez (Argentina) – Naturalezas Disonantes

Anima Mundi (Cuba) – Jagannath Orbit

Aviva Omnibus (Russia) – Nutracker In Fury

Survival (The Netherlands) – Crusader

Mindfields (Poland) – One

Lunatic Soul (Poland) – Same (featuring Riverside singer Mariusz Duda)

...... and many more ...

see:       http://www.progwalhalla.nl/reviews.php?language=en

Thumbs Up

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 14:57
Hi Erik, a lot of names that are new to me there and having read your reviews Survival are the band that most interests me for the vintage keyboard sounds which always catches my atention.

I'll endorse your Presto Ballet review on the new album which I received a few days ago and enjoying very much at the moment.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 15:11

Haha Paul, a lot of those names are even new to Prog Archives Wacko At this moment I am listening to ... Survival, excellent Hammond organ and synthesizer work and also the guitarplayer does a good job with a harder-edged sound that matches perfectly with the vintage keyboards Approve

Thanks for the support to my Presto Ballet review Thumbs Up 

The previous months I receive more and more promo CD's from lesser known and unknown new progrock bands, I am very grateful that they approach me to support them and I love to do that, so many good new progrock bands are overlooked, for example Spanish band Taifa and Mexican band Aly (both exciting eclectic progmetal),  Hungarian formation Nostradamus (captivating heavy version of Solaris) and Spanish Heavy Prog sensation Albatros, the #1 choice at the latest two Progwalhalla evenings Clap

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 15:18
Erik, I know both Taifa and Nostradamus, both albums that will be in my collection in the new year and I did listen to Albatros when you recommended them quite a few months back. I must listen again as you rate them so highly.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 15:31

Paul, Albatros is one of those bands that succeeds to sound pretty unique and that is an achievement after more than 40 years of progrock  and Taifa and Nostradamus are also bands that dare to scout the borders between different categories Clap

I am excited to listen to the forthcoming new albums by Nemo and Astralis, from December 20th until January 4th I have a holiday (at home) so plenty of time to enjoy new progrock and to write reviews and articles, at this moment I am finishing an article named 101 Albums By 101 New Progrock Bands In The Last Decade for DPRP, planned to be published in January/February.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 15:35
I'll look forward to reading that Erik.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 19:18
Erik, just ordered the new Nemo Barbares special edition.  Laser CD here in the states said he got precious few copies of the limited and I think I had to be one of the first to order so I hope I get it.  Will post first impressions once it shows.  Will also check into your new top ten.  Looks like some good ones in the bunch.

I heard some songs of the new JPL on myspace and they didn't resonate.  May have to listen again. 

I do have Tardigrade and wrote a review for PA.  Four stars, good stuff.

Thanks

Edited by johnobvious - December 08 2008 at 19:19
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 09:55
OK Paul and thanks for posting Thumbs Up

Well John, recently I have seen Nemo during the Progfarm Festival 2008, they blew away the crowd, what a gig and I am very glad that I have made Sony camcorder recordings (at about half an hour Nemo) and put it on DVD, the Progfarm website will publish a trailer with my Progfarm Festival 2008 footage, also including Skys (Lithunia) and 5Bridges and Flamborough Head (Holland).
Nemo their singer/guitarplayer JPL is a natural born performer and musician, about his solo CD Retrospections Vol I: yesterday I played it, what a powerful and varied sound, hopefully your opinion will switch 180 degrees by hearing more resonance Wink

My Top ten is loaded with very interesting new progrock bands (Albatros is at least a weekly joy ), it was a very good year and I am looking forward to your 'check out', John Approve

I read your Simon Says review about the Tardigrade album, good work and I can live with the 4 stars rating ... haha!

Fellow progheads, this week I will post a list with more lesser known and unknown new progrock bands that' Progwalhalla Hans' will borrow me in order to write reviews for his site, I am looking forward to write about the new Astralis and Nemo.

Dick, will you join us next week in Amsterdam (Thursday) at The Old Bell (Irish beer and sateh)?

Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 07:17
I agree fully with the assessment of the Albatros album, i could write a long convoluted post why i think the album is so spectecular. Played it over 15 times already in a very short time. Suffice to say that i agree with Erik it's the best album i've heard this year together with Hypnos 69's Eclectic measure that i found stunning too. Antennas got the album too btw and she's very enthousiastic about it as well.

^Erik, i'll try but not sure since i'll have day off tomorrow already. Reason is the Lazuli/Riverside concert tonight in Paradiso. Are you there btw?

Edited by Dirk - December 10 2008 at 07:18
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 12:03

Hello fellow Dutchman Dirk, good to read your euphoric words about the Albatros sound, yesterday evening I listened to their album Pentadelia and was blown away by the wah-wah guitar in some songs, very spectacular, I am a huge fan of that guitar pedal sound Approve

I am not intending to visit the Lazuli/Riverside concert because of my work.

New exciting eclectic prog metal:

Taifa (Spain) and Aly (Mexico), see my reviews: http://www.progressiveland.net/

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 10 2008 at 12:20
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 12:54

Progwalhalla Hans will borrow me these CD's and DVD's to review
                                               for his site in the forthcoming weeks:

- Pandora-Drammedi di un poetra ubrico
- Magrathea-Legends Remain
- Magrathea-In search of the crystal
- PFM-Canta di Andre
- Murple-Quadri etc.
- Jaen Kief-Las Hadas II
- Latte e Miele-Live Tasting
- Grendel-Helpness
- Millenium-Exist
- Galadriel-Calibrated Collision Lovers ( not yet received)
- Unitopia-The Garden
- Martin Orford-The old Road
- Glass Hammer DVD- Live at the Tivoli
- Nemo-Barbares
- Maze Of Time - Lullaby For Heroes
- Guillaume de la Piliere (from French progrock band Versailles) -Requiem Apocalyptique
- Kayak DVD - Live In Paradiso

I am very curious to the new Jaen Kief album (their previous was released in 2003),
                              listening to progrock from Colombia is a pretty unique experience Thumbs Up

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 13:22
Thanks for bringing Aly to my atention Erik....sounds like a band well worth checking out. Smile

Looks like you've got plenty to keep yourself occupied with over the next week. I'll be interested in what you have to say about Unitopia in particular.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 13:36

Thanks Paul, Aly is very interesting eclectic prog metal (just like Taifa as
                       I mentioned in an earlier post) and I am glad you like it. Unitopia is new for me Embarrassed ..haha!

I have a holiday (at home) between December 20th and January 4th so plenty of time to listen to that bunch of Progwalhalla CD's and DVD's. About Progwalhalla: we receive more and more posts from new lesser known and unknown bands from all over the world, they point at their MySpace websites/samples or even send promo CD's, incredible, we are very proud to have build up a progrock (mail-order) site in which those bands believe Clap

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 16:07
Just finished the new Nemo, Barbares, and it is very strong.  going to take a few more spins but first impressions are very good.  Now for the live bonus CD.  Oh, Boy!
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 17:23

John, that's good news about the new Nemo because I have seen Nemo a few months ago on the Dutch Progfarm 2008 Festival but I cannot remember they were telling the audience about playing material from the new album Barbares, I remember great songs from Si Partie II and I was blown away by natural born performer JPL Thumbs Up

Thursday Progwalhalla Hans will deliver me the new Nemo, I hope I can share your excitement John!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Just finished the new Nemo, Barbares, and it is very strong.  going to take a few more spins but first impressions are very good.  Now for the live bonus CD.  Oh, Boy!

3 listens of the album and so far I love it. Adding a somewhat new flavour to their music, they keep up their complex and heavy prog melange and spice it up with their melodies and lyrics.
Still need to give the live album more listens but so far it sounds quite close to the studio versions and well performed.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 17:39

Thanks for posting Avestin, I am even more looking forward to the new Nemo album Approve !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>