Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 22:39
I have  the new limited Nemo  cd edition. Agree with John and Avestin. Very favorable first,second,third and fourth  impression, not that i had expected otherwise from this band. I also had the feeling that this album is a bit more accessible than the si partie albums that both took me some time to appreciate. Haven't got around to the live dvd as of yet, really looking forward to that experience.They did it again, congrats Thumbs Up.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:34

Dirk, I am curious or you know Nemo played new songs
                              (from the Barbares album) during their Progfarm 2008 gig?

Thursday I will meet Progwalhalla Hans and he will borrow me a bunch of new progrock CD's, including the new Nemo, I can't wait to listen to that album, I still get goose bumps when I remember that awesome Progfarm 2008 gig Clap
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:39
I really look forward to hear something by the French band Nemo.
When I typed in their name on YouTube a few minustes ago, it gave only Nightwish, and the cartoon movie for a page long. LOL
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:41
I really lok forward to hear something by Nemo.
I typed in their name on YouTube, and it gave Nigtwish and the cartoon movie. The latter is the better. LOL
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:42
Their website is great, and there are some soudfiles, hopefully. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 14:37

Norbert, Nemo their website is almost as sensational as their music, just take a look Thumbs Up :

http://www.nemo-world.com/

I just noticed that I wrote the biography about Nemo on PA, now I remember what a huge fan I became when I listened to Nemo for the first time, that was the album Presages (2003), very soon the next album Prelude A La Ruine was released, still my favorite Nemo album and also one of the first reviews I wrote for Progwalhalla, in those days the best selling Progwalhalla item. During their Progfarm 2008 gig I made Sony camcorder recordings (at about 30 minutes) that I have put on DVD, a compilation will be published on the Progfarm website one of these months Thumbs Up

By the way, can we still consider Nemo as a lesser known/unknown new progrock band or ...?

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 16 2008 at 14:52
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

By the way, can we still consider Nemo as a lesser known/unknown new progrock band or ...?

I would say so Erik as I've never heard of them! Wink

Sounds like I should check them out. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 17:14

You better do Paul, you have missed a little bit of lesser known and unknown new progrock history Wink ...
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 18:41
You are right, Erik.  Nemo may be getting a little bit too well known for this thread.  That's the point of the thread, right?  You did good.Big smile
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 18:46
Nemo is amazing. I haven't heard Barbares yet, but I will soon I hope.

Today I also received the new album of If (www.ifsounds.com) - maybe we'll see them on PA one day...
And The Tea Club is on it's way by mail, they just got included and asked me for a review. Which reminds me that I promised Dirk to try and contact Sonar once again about album distribution. I'll mail them right away.

Edited by Angelo - December 17 2008 at 18:49
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 20:48
Would be great to hear from them Angelo, man they sounded good at first listening, thx Thumbs Up.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 10:30
Today I met Progwalhalla Hans in the famous Irish pub The Old Bell, he is positive to order Sonar CD's (at least 5 copies) so that's good news for Angelo and Dirk, for me it's a bit too weird music but I will give it another try to make a review, what a challenge Wacko

John, you are right, Nemo is becoming a 'small biggie' and their cult-status on this site is more and more increasing. So I don't tell you that I got the new Nemo album Barbares (limited 2-CD version with bonus live CD) today Wink .... this evening I will make time to listen to it, I am looking forward to write about one of my favorite new progrock bands!

Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 11:38
Very glad to hear Hans is ordering the Sonar cd's i'll contact him tonight. I'm really happy about the amount of great music i'm hearing recently. Apart from Albatros,Survival, Nemo and others  the il Bacio album Discesa is great too.

And the Riverside concert a week ago was the best i've heard from them. Good news here,they played 2 songs from their new album. From what i've heard their fourth album will be a lot stronger than their third one.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 13:49

Well Dirk, new progrock is alive and kicking, indeed Albatros, Survival and Il Bacio Delle Medusa are great but now I am enjoying the new Nemo album, remarkable are the early Eighties Rush echoes but in general Nemo sounds as Nemo: dynamic, adventurous, lots of exciting musical ideas, awesome interplay, a bit theatrical French vocals, at this moment I have the idea that I am listening to their best effort although I am only 15 minutes away from the start .... Thumbs Up

By the way, here is Progwalhalla Hans his latest recommendation, PANDORA from Italy:

CD:

PANDORA - Dramma di un Poeta Ubriaco

Lista dei Brani:
Il Giudizio Universale (7.37 min.)
2. March to Hell [Strumentale] (5.59 min.)
3. Così Come Sei (8.21 min.)
4. Pandora [Strumentale] (11.43 min.)
5. Breve Storia di San George (6.39 min.)
6. Dramma di un Poeta Ubriaco (9.05 min.)
7. Salto nel Buio (13.45 min.)

On the German progrock site Babyblaue-Seiten, I read about Pandora that this band is from 2006 and their debut album sounds very varied, between Classic and modern progrock, the band features two keyboardplayers, good guitarwork and  a powerdrummer, I hope to tell you more about my own experiences very soon.

Info: http://www.pandoramusic.eu/

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 18 2008 at 13:59
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 14:14
Dirk - as you probably have seen on the Progwalhalla mailinglist - we have an e-mail address to contact Sonar and order CDs. Good to hear Hans is on to it. I still have to do a review on their album - better get working on it.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 16:02
^Don't have a creditcard So i'll ask Hans. Look forward to your review.

@Erik, might indeed be their best. I'm very pleased with the way Jean Pierre Louveton sings on this album and how the harmonies are done. He's always a good vocalist of course but especially good this time.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 12:28

Yesterday evening I had time to listen to new progrock albums, my conclusions:

NEMO: As a huge fan since their second album, after one listening session with their new album Barbares, I have to state that this is their best effort, what an exciting sound, what a variety and, indeed fellow Dutchman Dirk, JPL his vocals are very good and match perfectly with the music, this is top notch French progrock Clap

PANDORA: Did you think that Il Bacio Delle Medusa is the best Italy has to offer since the last 5 years? Well, just listen to Pandora their debut album entitled Dramma Di Un Poeta Ubriaco, simply sensational, from mellow parts with twanging acoustic guitars and flute-Mellotron to sumptuous eruptions with prog metal guitar riffs and fat synthesizer flights, I am sure this band will delight many progheads so check out this stunning new Italian progrock band (see my previous post) Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 20 2008 at 15:03
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 12:54
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

PANDORA: Did you think that Il Bacio Delle Medusa is the best Italy has to offer since the last 5 years? Well, just listen to Pandora their debut album entitled Dramma Di Un Poeta Ubriaco, simply sensational, from mellow parts with twanging acoustic guitars and flute-Mellotron to sumptuous eruptions with prog metal guitar riffs and fat synthesizer flights, I am sure this band will delight many progheads so check out this stunning new Italian progrock band (see my previous post) Clap

Better than Il Bacio Della Medusa Erik? That's really high praise indeed. Another one to check out after Nemo which I still haven't listened to yet. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 14:59

Yes Paul, I am delighted about the Pandora sound, what an incredible variety, wonderful keyboards, exciting shifting moods, the instrumentation ranges from tender harpsichord and majestic Mellotron to propulsive heavy guitar riffs and fat synthesizer flights, goose bumps! About Nemo, did you enter the new Millennium Paul Wink ?
But seriously, despite the euphoric words about Nemo, you have to be up to their frequent shifting moods, the huge variety and the slightly theatrical French vocals, in case you don't have a problem with that, it's Progheaven!

My brandnew  Pandora and Nemo reviews, see: http://www.progwalhalla.nl/index.php?language=en 

Dramma di un Poeta Ubriaco                            

New problem: I had to change my Top 10 2008 Best Progrock Albums:

1)      Albatros – Pentadalia (captivating Heavy Prog with inventive work on guitar and keyboards)

2)      Nemo – Barbares (simply their best!)

3)      Pandora – Same (typical Italian progrock in its full splendor, highly recommended!)

4)      Il Bacio Delle Medusa – Discesa .. (another typical, very exciting Italian progrock album)

5)      Simon Says – Tardigrade (Vintage Keyboard Heaven)

6)      Keith Emerson Band Featuring Marc Bonilla – Same (this sounds as a tribute to 'HELP' Wink )

7)      Nostradamus -  Testament (a splendid heavy version of Solaris)

8)      Aviva Omnibus – Nutracker In Fury (great work on keyboards and guitar)

9)      Willowglass – Book Of Hours (Progheaven, dig those Trons and Moog Taurus bass pedals!)

10)  Survival – Crusader (excellent new band from my country Holland with wonderful keyboards and some heavy guitarplay)

Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 20 2008 at 15:04
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 10:06
A lesser known band worth atention already here on PA is Anti-Depressive Delivery. The play powerful seventies style heavy rock with lots of hammond in their sound. Add some Prog, Jazz and a bit of Funk to their sound too. What a great dynamic band! Clap

Edited by Nightfly - December 22 2008 at 10:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051>