Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Un Weekend De Rock Progressif  A Montreal 15&16/09
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUn Weekend De Rock Progressif A Montreal 15&16/09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 15:01
I too shall be there. Bought my tickets months ago.
The venue is amazing.
And the groups playing? - Nuf said!
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 15:36
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

Beautiful pictures Alucard!Big%20smile

Jacques Cartier Bridge from the Old Port, near the Old clock, and La Ronde far away on the other side of the St-Lawrence River. ( I was doing quadricycle with my daughter). It was taken 2 or 3 years ago... Spending a day in the old port each summer is one of our favorite activities; Flora ( gardens), Imax, Quadricycle, pedalo, the labyrinthe, the book merchants, boat tours, etc...a lot of fun.  
Well, have a nice look at the next piece of junk that`s going come collapsing down any day now in Montréal, I don`t know what`s going be first, the Lafontaine tunnel or this grade 9 science project. I just hope that not too many people have to die. Seriously.  Gustav Eiffel designed this with horses and buggies in mind. Yes it was the same architect guy who designed that tower in Paris. If you`ve ever rode across it on a bycycle with few sixteen wheelers on the span at once it`s a pretty scary experience.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 16 2007 at 15:39
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 18:55

Maybe you can go live in United States; remember that bridges collaspe there...

C'est la vie
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 03:52
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

Besides,Montreal has the best selection of restaurents and the best looking women in the world!Thumbs%20Up

Well Paris isn't  bad either (Women & Food) the advantage in Montreal : the women  look  less stressed and seem to be in a better physical shape in general....which might be a little exhausting giving it a second thought...Wink

I rarely felt so much secure walking in the middle of the night in a big city as in Montreal... but then it's a big city and all big towns have their quota of crime....

I'm glad to see you actually checked what I told you about the Quebec women! They are the main attraction of La Belle Province!!

Trust me though, there are parts of Montreal where you'd better hang around too long. When I was younger Longueuil (on the South Bank of St Laurent) was one place to avoid! Biker gangs etc... Don't know if it is still like that.today, though!
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:18
Hugues,
 the only place on the south bank we went was les 'Rapides de Lachine', which is a beautiful cozy residential area. In fact the most bikers I saw was on the mountain roads and in a small mountain town...some cute brides ...I avoided a closer look so ..Wink

some more pics:

the first evening we took a walk on St. Denis and there were a lot of Firemen, but we saw no fire. When we came back the next day the whole place had burned down and we learnt in the news that it was a well known Restaurant....

Duluth is maybe my favourite  Plateau street, nice atmo &  lots of Portugese restos ....

bakery on 'Duluth' with cool birthday cakes

we saw 'Police' in the Bell Center , nice concert,

FrancoFolies the big Festival for FrenchSung music. This was a concert of 'Amin', a singer from a Parisian suburb area known a 'Neuf Cube'= 93, bluesy-rap-chansons

Les Rapides de lachine  beautiful place with lots of birds....

the big fat squirrels in the center of Montreal

Quebec  a record shop on St. Jean, fortunately  for me it was closed

that's all!

Edited by Alucard - August 17 2007 at 10:19
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:33
Now that you`ve seen the big fat squirrels, you should see some of the big fat rats in the center of Montréal. Go to China Town. I honestly think they should actually have DANGER : BEWARE OF GIANT VICIOUS RATS signs plastered all over the place. And next time don`t forget to bring extra money to give to the dirty, stinky, uncivilized and aggressive panhandlers who litter just about every street corner in the downtown area. Fortunately this human refuse have been barred fro my nieghborhood.
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:56

comme chantait  Robert Charlebois : "Je reviendrais à Montreal  pour voir les 'Giant Vicious Rats' Wink

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:09
In every big city in the world, there are rats, so Mtl is not worst than any other city... 

C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:15
By the way, last year at this prog.fest, we had a lot of fun, before, during and after the shows; a safe place to be. I went there alone, and I met a lot of interesting and fun people    
C'est la vie
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:21
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Now that you`ve seen the big fat squirrels, you should see some of the big fat rats in the center of Montréal. Go to China Town. I honestly think they should actually have DANGER : BEWARE OF GIANT VICIOUS RATS signs plastered all over the place. And next time don`t forget to bring extra money to give to the dirty, stinky, uncivilized and aggressive panhandlers who litter just about every street corner in the downtown area. Fortunately this human refuse have been barred fro my nieghborhood.

Ian,

don't be so negative about Mtl, it's a great place, but once you're in it for a while, you're too close to see how good it is!

And next year, the Stanley Cup is coming home with the Habs. It "almost" (4-1 is not close) went to Ottawa

Martin,

the amazing thing is that those grey squirrels are not exactly fearful!

We used to have them in our house in Toronto! They've conquered most of England an,d apparently we're starting to see them on the Continent as well. Our red squirrels are probably going to be extinct soon, because they're too fearful and avoid humans.
And the Korean squirrels are getting the upper hand as well on the native reds

Edited by Sean Trane - August 17 2007 at 11:24
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:52
I`ll eat my underwear if the habs could even win a ping pong tournament against a group of retarded  monkeys. The habs are a done deal they`ll never come back. Look at Carbnoneau he`s always staring at that stupid clock the clock. I am always saying " look there he goes again, looking at the F****** clock ",just wanting  to get the inevitable humiliation over with as quick as possible . Believe me when I was a kid I lived and breathed the habs but sad but true they`re only part of Montréal folklore these days. It will take some sort of wierd monumental miracle for them to win a cup even in the next ten years. I`ll have to admit, though, the squirrels are one of the few things that I stll really like about Montréal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 12:23
Go live in New York if you think that it's better...I don't live in Montreal, but It's ok to go there from time to time in the old Mtl, in the old Port etc... to see a show, or go to an event.   
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 14:03

Go live in New York if you think that it's better...I don't live in Montreal, but It's ok to go there from time to time in the old Mtl, in the old Port etc... to see a show, or go to an event.   
So if you don`t live here, pay taxes here, have to put up with all the nonsense for the better part of 365 days a year that I`ve been describing ( and believe me there are a lot of Montréalers just like myself who are FED UP ) I don`t see how you can go on on about what a Utopia this dump is. I think most of the people who have been participating in this insane thread about this ridiculous festival don`t live here either. I`ve been to Moscow ,had a good time, but I wouldn`t say it`s the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel or sliced cheese based on my experiences as a tourist. You wouldn`t believ how some tourists are treated by some of the local populance here ( especially if they can`t speak French ).
 Just last week, for example while walking with a friend, I overheard a cab driver wanting to charge an American couple $45  ( the going rate is $25 ) to go from downtown out to Pierre Elliot Trudeau ( the name of the Montréal international airport ), and over and above that he wanted to charge them an additional $20 for each piece of luggage! My car was parked nearby so I drove them out there free of charge. The cabbie wasn`t too happy. I took down his licence # and told him to take up another profession which requires no more than a grade two education before I reported him to his company.. This is just one example of what has been happening in this once fair city which makes me so sick.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 14:10
You can go live in Kandahar or Bombay!LOL
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 14:49

You can go live in Kandahar or Bombay!LOL
First she wants me to live in The United States now it`s Afghanistan or IndiaConfused All these choices. Actually at least in Kandahar I wouldn`t have to worry about ferocious giant rats, maybe a stray rocket or incoming artillery shell that`s about all. I could deal with them. But giant rabid  rats give me the heebee geebees

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 17 2007 at 14:49
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 19:33

So if you don`t live here, pay taxes here, have to put up with all the nonsense for the better part of 365 days a year that I`ve been describing ( and believe me there are a lot of Montréalers just like myself who are FED UP ) I don`t see how you can go on on about what a Utopia this dump is. I think most of the people who have been participating in this insane thread about this ridiculous festival don`t live here either. I`ve been to Moscow ,had a good time, but I wouldn`t say it`s the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel or sliced cheese based on my experiences as a tourist. You wouldn`t believ how some tourists are treated by some of the local populance here ( especially if they can`t speak French ).
 Just last week, for example while walking with a friend, I overheard a cab driver wanting to charge an American couple $45  ( the going rate is $25 ) to go from downtown out to Pierre Elliot Trudeau ( the name of the Montréal international airport ), and over and above that he wanted to charge them an additional $20 for each piece of luggage! My car was parked nearby so I drove them out there free of charge. The cabbie wasn`t too happy. I took down his licence # and told him to take up another profession which requires no more than a grade two education before I reported him to his company.. This is just one example of what has been happening in this once fair city which makes me so sick.

Why do you call this thread insane?
And why ridiculous festival?
These guys are putting so much time,energy, efforts and money into it.
You don't like it?Fine.

You don't know what you'll miss.
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 20:52

I think most of the people who have been participating in this insane thread about this ridiculous festival don`t live here either.

The only ridiculous thing here is your ignorant commentary about a festival you have not attended. You went to the jazz festival and didn't enjoy yourself (hard to believe with such a positive outlook on life) so therefore every festival must be the same?

On the bright side, at least you kept this thread on the top page for a while with your "contributions".

Thanks to everyone who attended (and played for us!) this year, it was a lot of fun to see all the basket cases at our insane and ridiculous event :).

Regards,
Sean
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 11:33
I enjoyed very much myself at the Mtl prog.fest . The place and the hall were excellent. The shows were pretty good. Nice people to meet and to talk to. We had a very good festival, it's promising for next year. Someone told me ( Gerry) that at least 60 prog.groups want to come at the festival ( known and not known) and from many places in the world. I would check for pictures and I will see if I can post some.
C'est la vie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12