Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe anatomy of a good drummer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: what single "thing" do you look for in a drummer most ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.89%]
4 [8.89%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.67%]
23 [51.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.22%]
6 [13.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The anatomy of a good drummer
    Posted: August 10 2007 at 00:34
this is a good idea for a poll I only wish I was confidant I pulled it off OK  ..  so here are some choices some good valid choices some are daft,  but hey I`m a drummer so what did you expect , just got of the kit after inventing a new drum solo and I`m puffed so if this poll is dumb  don`t blame me blame the lack of oxygen in my brain   Wink

The reason I titled this poll as "The anatomy of a good drummer"
is I want to find the single most primitive if you will or most sophisticated if you will thing that engages you , I am not talking about the culmination of the entire rhythmic body rather an isolated area of attraction you first experience that "hes good" voice in the head when you hear it , for me its sparse yet perfect placement  of the toms,  for you it may be a different thing pending on what "tribe" you descended from in this evolutionary path.    very hard to explain I hope you understand what I`m saying ... we all have different chemical responses in the brain for different things what I aim to do being a drummer is cater for those  Wink  

Edited by Yorkie X - August 10 2007 at 07:08
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 00:40
too many options.

Personally, I look for groove between the Drummer and Bassist, as that's wjhat my expeerience has shown that's what lands you props over technicality.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 00:42
Syncopated kick with the bass or vocals, Danney Carey and Bill Bruford are excellent at this!
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 01:04
Damn son, do you have to be a drummer to get this poll? Because I usually pride myself on looking for good drummers in unusual places, but this soared...RIGHT over my head.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 01:16
Just the opposite of all the options: putting it all together.  Just 'cause you syncopate the kick well or can play quick ghost notes on the snare doesn't mean it will sound good.  The best drummers use combinations of these techniques in order to do whatever best fits the piece.  

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 01:38

^ he's right!

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 02:28
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Just the opposite of all the options: putting it all together.  Just 'cause you syncopate the kick well or can play quick ghost notes on the snare doesn't mean it will sound good.  The best drummers use combinations of these techniques in order to do whatever best fits the piece.  
I agree 100 % with putting it all together only if I had included that option there's no doubt it would have been the winner so I thought hey I`ll find out what it is that you people first tend to hear that makes you smile. The idea come from years behind the drum kit trying to please myself and being at the point now wondering what the "key" is to guarantee a smile,  sure good rhythmic structures work but I want more than that I want to know what drum feature you are most attracted to , every single answer given in this poll will no doubt be thought about and looked into by me as a drummer I guarantee you, after 35 years of pounding away its time to ask some questions if the eyes are what some claim the best feature of a face what is it about the drums that pleases, its one thing to know all about the drums its another to find out what others who maybe don`t play them think  ....   man that was long winded sorry about that  , should have cut it back to a few lines Confused
MuzikLuva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 06:13
Playing/using the entire kit as an instrument, thus providing a melody (so to speak) to compliment everything else that is going on in a piece.  The drums should not be used just as a timepiece or metronome.  They should add to the musical experience.  Listen to Bruford, Palmer (earlier ELP), Peart along with some of the jazz greats.  Sometimes less is more!
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 06:25
drummer has to be french or japanese
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 06:40
Definitely other. What a good drummer needs is a feel for the rhythm and lots of imagination to come up with interesting things to garnish it with. There are a few drummers around who are technically well versed but utterly predictable in what they will do next; I won't give any names because I don't want to heat a debate.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 07:16
I agree fully with Rileydog and BaldFriede, but if I was  to choose 1 thing that was especially appealing to me, it would be hi hat control. I love Phil Collins' drumming, and this is one of the things he's very good at!
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 07:38
For me definately a jazz drummer, a lot of skill is required to keep time with Prog, and constant concentration..
Bruford has the quality, any band with Bruford playing you know you are in for some good music.

For me, a bad drummer equals a bad band (The Beatles??? Errmmm.. Ok.. Apart from them!)
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 08:39
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

too many options.

Personally, I look for groove between the Drummer and Bassist, as that's wjhat my expeerience has shown that's what lands you props over technicality.
groove is a great answer Clap  I should have remembered to put groove in this poll  ...  Remember a quote from Jeff porcaro arguably one of the finest drummers ever .. the late Jeff said  "America doesn`t get groove"   or something to that effect  Smile
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:50
A good groove always wins with me. Jazz trained with some funk tendancies. I'm not sure about Gavin Harrison's root style, but he manages to play some excellent beats and not ruin them with over played fills.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:51
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

A good groove always wins with me. Jazz trained with some funk tendancies. I'm not sure about Gavin Harrison's root style, but he manages to play some excellent beats and not ruin them with over played fills.

Unfortunately "groove" is one of these words no-one can really define. Wink Confused

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Unfortunately "groove" is one of these words no-one can really define. Wink Confused
I can appreciate that thought.  To me a groove incoporates a feel for the music. Some drummers are somewhat robotic or random.  A few of my favorite drummers are guilty of this. Ouch

yface1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:01
My brother is a drummer and I take his work very seriously  Wink and have suffered, I mean, loved every minute of his drumming the last year.  For me, what sets him apart from every other young drummer in my region (He does drum competitions and has auditioned for 3 bands for which he's successful thus I've heard loads of kids his age) is the fact that his drum teacher "taught" him Jazz drumming then fused it with his funk soul to create amazing grooves, so to speak. As for the other kids I've heard play - they seem to aim more for speed or simple melodic beats which is why they weren't successful in the band auditions. So to me, it's obvious that Jazz/Funk makes a good drummer and creates the best grooves ever.  Big%20smile
My entertainment dollar is burning in my pocket!
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:08
YOu can't just look for one thing in a drummer like that. Jazz training means nothing if they have no snare control.

And all that amounts to nothing if they got no feel.

EDIT: And why was I the first person to vote for originality??!?! That's vital! Gavin Harrison and Bruford would be nothing if didn't have that feel.

Edited by Shakespeare - August 10 2007 at 17:10
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:08
frequent use of the toms... Keith Moon was the master of that.  Funny as hell... Raff and I went to B&N last night and I picked up a drumming mag that had Peart on the cover.  Seems Moon was a big influence on him... says you can hear it in his drumming.  Funny the way drum purists like to sl*g Moon off.

Edited by micky - August 10 2007 at 17:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:12
what do you call someone who hangs around musicians?

a drummer LOL

...jk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>