Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMiriodor - a seriously underated band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miriodor - a seriously underated band
    Posted: August 11 2007 at 03:11
I'm wondering why the Canadian band, Miriodor, gets so few mentions on this site.  

They are listed as an RIO/avant band, but they are nowhere near as dissonant or weird as bands like Thinking Plague and Henry Cow.    If you think of those little off-beat  interludes that most prog bands insert into their music, in between their more straight-forward rockier sections,  and if you can imagine whole albums of these sections strung together one after the other, you have Miriodor.     A fantastically entertaining band, constantly changing and inventive, with many different arrangements and textures, executed with great precision and expertise. 

Does anyone else love this much underated band?    
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 03:47
I have just started delving into RIO and Avant Prog and Miriodor is one of the "gems" I have discovered.I only have Jongleries Elastiques but it's a fantastic album. What would you recommend for my next Miriodor purchase?

Another band with a similar style I am really digging right now is Hamster Theatre,awesome stuff too.

Edited by TheProgtologist - August 11 2007 at 03:48

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 08:38
I had Jongleries Élastiques and Mekano, but neither album managed to interest me. I felt I'd heard it all before, and that these guys were doing what they did just for the sake of showing off or something.

I did however like the Miriodor side-project Rouge Ciel's eponymous album very much. 
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 14:37
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I have just started delving into RIO and Avant Prog and Miriodor is one of the "gems" I have discovered.I only have Jongleries Elastiques but it's a fantastic album. What would you recommend for my next Miriodor purchase?

Another band with a similar style I am really digging right now is Hamster Theatre,awesome stuff too.

Next one should be Mekano. Awesome band - like them a lot - have all their albums and to me they are one of the best in the genre of more accessible RIO/avant 
carefulwiththataxe
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 20:34
Their latest one, "Parade", is also execellent.   It is a double disk - one studio, one live. Both terrific.
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 20:38
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Yeah, Hamster Theatre is definitely a band I want to explore.   The reviews I've seen look very promising. 
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 20:43
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

I had Jongleries Élastiques and Mekano, but neither album managed to interest me. I felt I'd heard it all before, and that these guys were doing what they did just for the sake of showing off or something.

I don't see them as show-offs.    To me, they are a band that likes to have fun with a serious form of music.    They are similar to Samla Mammas Manna in that regard - except not as goofy.   Smile

Quote I did however like the Miriodor side-project Rouge Ciel's eponymous album very much. 

Thanks, I'll check it out.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 20:48
Underrated? Make it unknown, first time I heard from them!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 06:20
Miriodor's Mekano-album has been on my wishlist for a couple of years now, but it is kinda hard to get your hands on. This particular record has been described as Canterbury-influenced, which is why it interests me. Thumbs up for anybody, who can shed light on that - is it worth to hunt after as a Canterbury scene fan??
I was made to love magic
wooty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 16:30
Damn Right! I've loved this band forever; in fact I'm going to buy Jongleries Élastiques right now! French TV and Birdsongs of the Mesazoic are two stylistically similar bands that also deserve more recognition.  These are bands doing some absolutely fine and original music as qualitatively excellent as any prog from any era.
"We turn and turn in the animal belly, the mineral belly, the belly of time. To find the way out: the poem."
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 19:32

Brilliant band, at least from what I've heard from them. I'll look for some of their albums soon.

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 22:40
First of all, bravo for your great thread. Its good to see threads about overlooked bands.
Secondly, i love this band and i think its EXTREMELY underated

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 23:58
Pretty much every band classified as RIO is at the very least "seriously underrated."

oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 03:45
Originally posted by Fritha Fritha wrote:

Miriodor's Mekano-album has been on my wishlist for a couple of years now, but it is kinda hard to get your hands on. This particular record has been described as Canterbury-influenced, which is why it interests me. Thumbs up for anybody, who can shed light on that - is it worth to hunt after as a Canterbury scene fan??

I haven't heard Mekano yet, but their music generally does have some overlap with the Canterbury scene.    A more intellectual, less jazzy form of Canterbury, if you like.  Perhaps the closest Canterbury band would be National Health.  
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 03:49
Having said that, there is a lot of feeling and atmosphere in their music - which, for me,  is what elevates their music above the standard clever RIO material.  

Edited by oddentity - August 13 2007 at 03:50
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 04:57
^ Sounds good to me, Oddentity, think I will finally try to look 'em up!
I was made to love magic
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 05:24
Originally posted by oddentity oddentity wrote:

I don't see them as show-offs.    To me, they are a band that likes to have fun with a serious form of music.    They are similar to Samla Mammas Manna in that regard - except not as goofy.   Smile

It's a personal thing I think. I had listened to nothing but Avant-Prog for a couple of months upon first hearing Miriodor, I had "overdosed" on stuff like that, might be why I didn't like them. I can understand your opinion though. I might give them another chance if I get the opportunity. Smile

Originally posted by oddentity oddentity wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Please do! I'm sure you'll like it. And if you manage to get hold of their other album, please tell me how it compares to the self-titled!
cuoredifalena View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 09:33
yes.. i do like them a lot.. i own Parade which is great... i have listened to their other albums. it`s a band i enjoy very much..  i don`t think they are underrated,i think they are just not very well known.. that`s all..
i didn`t know about their side project though.. i`ll check it out..
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 16:42
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Pretty much every band classified as RIO is at the very least "seriously underrated."

I like to think Im making a little diference (with other people as well) baout that when it comes to Sleepytime Gorill MuseumWinkLOL
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 21:27
Originally posted by wooty wooty wrote:

Damn Right! I've loved this band forever; in fact I'm going to buy Jongleries Élastiques right now! French TV and Birdsongs of the Mesazoic are two stylistically similar bands that also deserve more recognition.  These are bands doing some absolutely fine and original music as qualitatively excellent as any prog from any era.

Just got French TV's Pardon My French album and I am DIGGING it!!!!!!!!

I have BotM's Iridium Controversy album and agree that these two bands are seriously underrated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>