Topic ClosedDevin Townsend produces "Deliver Us"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devin Townsend produces "Deliver Us"
    Posted: August 14 2007 at 03:15
A couple things before I move into the meat of this post:

1. I'm not sure if this should be posted in the Prog-Lounge or not because Darkest Hour are not in the archives...yet the thread is only 1/2 about them and 1/2 about Devin Townsend, who, I believe, can be discussed in the Prog-Lounge due to his working with Progressive musicians in the archives, such as Steve Vai.

2. I'm a NOT a fan of metalcore really at all, exceptions being the odd song here or there, Between the Buried and Me (kick ass), and Mastodon (hardly metalcore, but some consider it such)...however, I just listened to the new Darkest Hour album, "Deliver Us" (listen to some here, specifically the title track, and if you do listen be patient, as the better parts take a minute to get into).

This album, while certainly not amazing, is not bad at all. This band, whom I've just discovered in reality (I've known of them for a good while but steered clear because of their associations), has been developing. I listened to this album followed by their last and I have to say their songwriting skills are not bad. "Deliver Us" is especially fun because of the daunting solos dished out and the mayhemic vocals (which I actually don't mind--usually the "hardcore/death" vocals of metalcore make me wanna puke). I recommend listening to it for the music if you like BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME or MASTODON or some extreme death, etc. It's a good listen musically.

The other half of this post is to discuss Devin Townsend. Has he been producing heavy metal acts for long under my nose? The production of this album is good, though not amazing. (For the record, if I were reviewing this album, taking it for what it is, I'd probably give it 3 1/2 to 4 stars...it's excellent metalcore...never thought I'd be saying that...) His production fits the frenetic atmosphere of the band well, and though spare, the slightly more melodic/atmospheric sections fit very well.

The vocals are tight and the solos, unlike BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, are not buried in the mix but a little to the forefront, as well they should be.

Anyway, this thread may be moved if deemed necessary as I am not sure where to put it, but I'd like opinions from you all on this band (if you've heard them or if you decide to listen to them via the link), this album (if you've heard it), but specifically on DEVIN TOWNSEND and his career in music and production.

Am I missing something to find it odd that he produced this?? Your comments are appreciated.
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 03:36
I am particularly interested in Deliver Us by Darkest Hour now. I had never heard of them, but "Demons" and "Deliver Us" (the song) both proved to be a little interesting, regardless of it being prog or not. If you find anymore groups on the lines of Mastodon and Darkest Hour I encourage you to share!

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't find it in the least bit puzzling that Devin Townsend produced this. Quite honestly it sounds like something he'd wanna tour with, while with SYL. And if he is producing a bunch of metal cd's, I never knew about it!!!??!

Edited by NotSoKoolAid - August 14 2007 at 03:43
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 03:43
i feel sort of like a fool, i just found out that Devin Townsend produced Darkest Hour's last album as well. "Undoing Ruin". And also, evidently he's worked with Meshuggah. So he's all about metal things...

^^Not so Kool Aid, there are not very many "good" metalcore bands etc....darkest hour, between the buried and me, mastodon (not metalcore by my standards) and a few songs by Misery Signals (musically at least, vocals are "eh") The Human Abstract (very interesting musically at times, once again "eh" vocals) and Shai Hulud (once again musically interesting but vocally "eh") are all decent in terms of more melodic metalcore.

There is a such thing as good metalcore, but it's VERY sparse, and not really worth looking for. I stumbled upon the bands I named accidentally so looking never occurred. If you haven't already checked out Between the Buried and Me I suggest you do, they are more brutal, but also more proggy (in the archives) and they have some very nice clean parts to accompany their intriguing metal.
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 03:55
Ah yes, you have the exact same excuse for not exploring metalcore as myself. Finding a "classic" in the genre is just... eternally challenging. And as for Townsend producing Meshuggah too, it makes you wonder why we don't hear his name mentioned more often in that context. Or do people think he's a crappy producer?

And by the way Volta, thanks for dropping some names. I will look into them.
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 04:18
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

Ah yes, you have the exact same excuse for not exploring metalcore as myself. Finding a "classic" in the genre is just... eternally challenging. And as for Townsend producing Meshuggah too, it makes you wonder why we don't hear his name mentioned more often in that context. Or do people think he's a crappy producer?

And by the way Volta, thanks for dropping some names. I will look into them.

i'm guessing people don't like his production skills, although i don not think they are bad at all--just nothing to write home about...i just listened to both Darkest Hour CDs and the production is good...and if you're checking them out both "Undoing Ruin" and "Deliver Us" are good.

I"m about to listen to Meshuggah and see if I can tell any production differences/common nuances he may have after I find out what album he produced.

As for the bands, anytime, PM me if you like them or, while listening to them, find anything else interesting.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 12:39
Devin Townsend has produced several albums including GWAR's most recent and Lamb of God's most recent. Can't say I'm a fan of either of these bands though Dead
and if it's true that he's producing Meshuggah's next album, I think that maybe one of the most brutal albums ever recorded will result from itShocked

edit: I love his production, just not really the bands he produces LOL

Edited by heyitsthatguy - August 15 2007 at 12:40

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 13:21
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Devin Townsend has produced several albums including GWAR's most recent and Lamb of God's most recent. Can't say I'm a fan of either of these bands though Dead
and if it's true that he's producing Meshuggah's next album, I think that maybe one of the most brutal albums ever recorded will result from itShocked

edit: I love his production, just not really the bands he produces LOL

DT producing the next Meshuggah album?!?!?!?Clap

Wow, I think I just wet myself, or worse. It would make sense as Meshuggah has toured with SYL. Can't wait...

Also, while I would never buy a GWAR album, I did buy one of their DVD's at Tower's going out of business sale for like $2.50. Best money I ever spent. These guys have a brilliant stage show. Laughed my arse off.

Edited by Tapfret - August 15 2007 at 13:25
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 13:30
there was an interview enclosed with one of his SYL CDs where he said that he thought Meshuggah were the best band around. Also, he used Haake's Drumkit From Hell and he toured with them, so it wouldn't surprise me i he produced them, but it would please me greatly
 Post Reply Post Reply