Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bruce Springsteen to record with the E-Street band
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBruce Springsteen to record with the E-Street band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bruce Springsteen to record with the E-Street band
    Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:25
Musical `Magic' From Boss, E Street Band
By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer
document.write(getElapsed("20070816T160224Z")); 1 hour ago

NEW YORK - Bruce Springsteen is back with the E Street Band _ and a bit of "Magic."

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer returns Oct. 2 with a new album, titled "Magic," his first collaboration with his longtime New Jersey mates since the Sept. 11-inspired "The Rising" in 2002, Springsteen announced through his publicist Thursday.

The album, other than its atmospheric title track, is billed as Springsteen's return to rock 'n' roll after his solo "Devils & Dust" and the folk-inspired "The Seeger Sessions." Fans can expect Clarence Clemons' familiar saxophone, Danny Federici's soaring keyboards and Max Weinberg's pounding drums _ along with a lot of guitars.

The 11-song album is Springsteen's first of all-new material since April 2005, when he released the acoustic "Devils & Dust." Springsteen's 15th studio album follows last year's "The Seeger Sessions," where the Boss and a 17-piece backing band played reconjured versions of songs associated with folkie Pete Seeger.

For this album, recorded with producer Brendan O'Brien in Atlanta, Springsteen reunited with the full E Street Band to recreate its Garden State wall of sound: guitarists Steve Van Zandt and Nils Lofgren, bassist Garry Tallent, drummer Weinberg, keyboardists Federici and Roy Bittan, sax man Clemons, violinist Soozie Tyrell and vocalist Patti Scialfa.

Last year, Springsteen said he'd already written a "whole book of songs for the E Street Band." He assembled the band earlier this year and they finished the album in two months, about the same amount of time spent recording the multiplatinum "The Rising."

Songs include the title track, the album opener "Radio Nowhere," "You'll Be Comin' Down," "Livin' in the Future," "Your Own Worst Enemy," "Gypsy Biker," "Girls in Their Summer Clothes," "I'll Work for Your Love," "Last to Die," "Long Walk Home" and "Devil's Arcade."

Details on a worldwide tour featuring the band were expected to follow. Springsteen and the E Street Band sold out arenas and stadiums around the globe during a 15-month tour behind "The Rising."
Ely78 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:33
WWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
When the love becomes poetry, distant from the eyes

(Quando l'Amore Diventa poesia/ Lontano Dagli occhi [Aphrodite's Child)
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:53
I think this will be a pivotal album for the Boss.  Wonder if he and his band go in a new direction that makes everyone sit up and take notice or if he will go retro and try to be what everyone expects them to be?  Come on, Bruce, bring in a mellotron and really throw 'em a curve!  Wink
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 13:56
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

I think this will be a pivotal album for the Boss.  Wonder if he and his band go in a new direction that makes everyone sit up and take notice or if he will go retro and try to be what everyone expects them to be?  Come on, Bruce, bring in a mellotron and really throw 'em a curve!  Wink

Bringing back Brendan O'Brien to produce is a start. I found The Rising to be fresh in sound, while maintaining the spirit of classic Bruce. About the only song on there that resembled classic BS&tESB was "Mary's Place".

I would like to hear more of Roy's piano on this next one, though. I always found it to be a keystone in his sound.

E
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 11:35
I'm looking forward to this one. The Rising was his best in years in my opinion.

Wasn't mad on The Seeger Sessions though.
Progrock105 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 12:37
I just listened to Radio Nowhere, the new single, and I'm somewhat disappointed. It sounds like it could have been written by Green Day. Where are the common man lyrics and classic sound that he was so good at delivering in the classic E-street band era?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 00:31
Listening to it right now. Sounds like solo material with a different band. Like to hear more piano.

E
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 08:09
I want another Born to run sounding album!
meinmatrix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 04:44
This is good news. Rising was a five star release and it was already 5 years ago. Can't wait to listen this new album when it comes out. Clap

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 17:12
I picked up the new Springsteen today and it's by far the best thing he's done since The River. Could be my album of the year thus far.

E
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 08:23
Only had 2 listens but initial impressions are very good.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 08:42

A few years ago I would have been the first on the block to have a copy but since I've become a prog reviewer I only buy CDs that are PROG these days.  The good news is that come Christmas when folks ask me what I want I can tell them Bruce, Annie Lennox and Foo Fighters and they'll actually know who I'm talking about!  Springsteen's music is always of the highest quality and his lyrics are downright poetic so I'll be hearing/possessing the new CD sooner or later.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 08:03

A few years ago I would have been the first on the block to have a copy but since I've become a prog reviewer I only buy CDs that are PROG these days.  The good news is that come Christmas when folks ask me what I want I can tell them Bruce, Annie Lennox and Foo Fighters and they'll actually know who I'm talking about!  Springsteen's music is always of the highest quality and his lyrics are downright poetic so I'll be hearing/possessing the new CD sooner or later.

I buy prog almost exclusively; but there are certain bands that I'll have to pick up or that I'm simply in the mood for. Besides Springsteen, I've picked up the new Crowded House (awesome), and Lindsey Buckingham's Under The Skin.

I've had a chance to listen to it once more and it's not nearly as brooding as The Rising. I loved that disc, but it just didn't have that classic Springsteen sound (except for "Mary's Place"). This sounds more along the lines of The River. Bravo, Mr. Springsteen! You've done it again!ClapClapClap

E
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 12:10
Finally got a copy but I have to ask if anyone else's CD sounds like it's on the very edge of distortion?  Especially on "Radio Nowhere."  Or were they just going for a rawer sound.  Whatever it is, it's taking away from my ability to enjoy the songs a bit.  And is the snare rim ringing out of tune on the "living in the future" number?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 10:30
I didn't notice anything, but I'll keep an ear out for it next time. "Radio Nowhere" does have been of a more straight ahead sound than his usual stuff.

E
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 08:58

Finally got a copy but I have to ask if anyone else's CD sounds like it's on the very edge of distortion?  Especially on "Radio Nowhere."  Or were they just going for a rawer sound.  Whatever it is, it's taking away from my ability to enjoy the songs a bit.  And is the snare rim ringing out of tune on the "living in the future" number?

Can't say I've noticed distortion but the production does seem to have gone for that wall of sound treatment where they try to get everything louder than everything else at the expense of dynamics which is a bit annoying.
 Post Reply Post Reply