FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjethro tull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: jethro tull
    Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:11
its a prog band? in my opinion no, but thick as a brick, a passion play and songs from the wood are prog albums the other albums absolutly no ,so what do you think about this?
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:12
Heavy Horses, Aqualung, Minstrel in the gallery all are prog in my opinion. And if you havent heard them i suggest you do so immediatly
Cancion del sur View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:14
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

Heavy Horses, Aqualung, Minstrel in the gallery all are prog in my opinion. And if you havent heard them i suggest you do so immediatly
i heard them so many time ago

Edited by Cancion del sur
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:15

Originally posted by Cancion del sur Cancion del sur wrote:

i heard it

And still no?  perhaps its to folky for your tastes...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:19

i heard it

i was edited my post sorry,i wrote wrong
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:21

i heard it

i was edited my post sorry,i wrote wrong

no problem

Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:23
heheh jethro tull is a amazing band which no other can duplicate succesfully. there music sounds dry yet organic and pleases my ears, along with my heavy metel and punky friends. its the only band me and my freinds all like.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:28
im a bisgest fan of j tull, they are execelent rock band but that dont mean prog
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:28

Well, they blended Rock, Blues, Folk with classical music all along his career, except in their first album  and some odd songs released under the name Jethro's Toe (Mistake of the producers) like March the Mad Scientist and Stormy Monday Blues where they play only Blues. Their music is full of odd timings and abrupt changes, so if that is not progressive, then I don't know what it is.

Ian Anderson hates being called progressive, but that's only part of his strange personality.

Iván

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 21:36
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Well, they blended Rock, Blues, Folk with classical music all along his career, except in their first album  and some odd songs released under the name Jethro's Toe (Mistake of the producers) like March the Mad Scientist and Stormy Monday Blues where they play only Blues. Their music is full of odd timings and abrupt changes, so if that is not progressive, then I don't know what it is.

Ian Anderson hates being called progressive, but that's only part of his strange personality.

Iván

ivan do you know los jaivas?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 22:17

Canción del Sur wrote:

Quote ivan do you know los jaivas?

Of course, Alturas de Machu Picchu is one of my favorite albums, I saw them the 6 or 7 times they came to Lima and one time in Arica (I travelled to Tacna -Our side of the frontier- rented a car and crossed the border to buy a TV set in the customs zone, in a newspaper read they were playing that night in a place by the beach, bought my tickets inmediately but found it was a free concert). My favorite Latin American band along with Frágil.

Sube a Nacer Conmigo Hermano was the song I listened more for a couple of years, I believe they are progressive oriented  more in the Folk style than any one (they are in the Archives) in this case the classical influences are less evident (even when are present), but who cares, they are an incredible band from your country.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 08:48

... Let alone those amazing string arangements that added and/or emphasize the symphonic potential of some of the most ambitious Anderson compositions during the 70s, and the multi-keyboard layers and orchestrations for the "Songs from the Wood" album. I agree 100 % with Iván on this one: if this is not prog, then I don't know what it is, too.

Regards.  

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 08:54

Of course, Alturas de Machu Picchu is one of my favorite albums, I saw them the 6 or 7 times they came to Lima and one time in Arica (I travelled to Tacna -Our side of the frontier- rented a car and crossed the border to buy a TV set in the customs zone, in a newspaper read they were playing that night in a place by the beach, bought my tickets inmediately but found it was a free concert). My favorite Latin American band along with Frágil.

Sube a Nacer Conmigo Hermano was the song I listened more for a couple of years, I believe they are progressive oriented  more in the Folk style than any one (they are in the Archives) in this case the classical influences are less evident (even when are present), but who cares, they are an incredible band from your country.

Iván

My personal Latin-America 70s/80s fave bands usually sound a bit harder, such as BUBU, M.I.A., CRUCIS, ICONOCLASTA, but I truly love LOS JAIVAS as well.

The classical and sometimes jazzy facet of LOS JAIVAS' music is provided by Claudio Parra's superb piano playing; drummer Gabriel Parra has also some jazzy leanings. There is another Chilean prog-folk band named CONGRESO, whose style was a bit less rocky and much jazzier, with a more featured presence of acoustic stuff (guitar, woodwind, percussion).

Regards.

Edited by Cesar Inca
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 10:16
Tull is, among other things, prog. The only band I have everithing I could find here in my country. And Mr Anderson is an amazing, eccentric character that can amaze you playing any given instrument.
Please forgive me for my crappy english!
Jethro Fish View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 03:00

I just don't understand when people claim that Jethro Tull are not prog. They have had exactly the same development as most other prog-bands of the 70's.

A comparison

Late 60's to the beginning of the 70's:

Genesis releases "From Genesis to revelation" and "Trespass". They are during this period searching for their musical identity which blossoms in to full blown prog with "Nursery Cryme"

Yes releases "Yes" and "Time and a word". They are during this period searching for their musical identity which blossoms in to full blown prog with "The Yes album"

Jethro Tull releases "This was", "Stand up" and "Benefit". They are during this period searching for their musical identity which blossoms in to full blown prog with "Aqualung"

Circa 1971 up to late 70's:

After "Nursery Cryme" Genesis go on to release prog classics such as "Foxtrot", "Selling England by the pound", "The lamb", "Trick of the tail" and "Wind and wuthering". In the late 70's there is a distinct change in their music and they move towards more "commercial" compositions.

After "The Yes album" Yes go on to release prog classics such as "Fragile", "Close to the edge", "Tales", "Relayer", "Going for the one" etc.. Granted, Yes cling on to their "progginess" longer than the other two but after the 1980-release of "Drama" Yes too move in to a more "commercial", straight forward direction.

After "Aqualung" Tull go on to release prog classics such as "Thick as a brick", "A passion play", "Warchild", "Minstrel in the gallery", "Too old" (the least proggy one IMO), "Songs from the wood", "Heavy horses" and "Stormwatch". By "Stormwatch" in 1979 the compositions of JT are showing more straightforward tendencies and this development continues.

80's and onward:

Well, Genesis went into total pop-dom which we are all painfully aware of. Their wallets probably got thicker though.

Yes released a number of albums with the so-called Yes-West line-up consisting of mostly poppy material with a few progressive leanings. Yes started returning a bit more to their progressive roots by the later half of the 90's.

Jethro Tull went on to release albums of a more straightforward rock-nature with occasional hints of prog and folk.

-----------------------------------

Ok, rant over.

All the best,
Per

www.salvaband.com
New cd: Salva "Left to burn", out now
Available through:
www.caerllysimusic.co.uk
www.progressrec.com
www.justforkicks.de
www.salvaband.com
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 03:43
A Passion Play and Minstrel.... are both inescapably prog, especially the former.
"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 06:44

Tull are a prog band. Simple as that.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply