Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI Mother Earth - Prog Related?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you think IME should be added to prog related?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [50.00%]
1 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Mother Earth - Prog Related?
    Posted: August 24 2007 at 02:50
I Mother Earth are a alternative rock band with progressive rock tendencies, I think they should defiently be put into at least the prog related section, they have odd times, long songs (not that THAT matters, but still), oddly structured tunes, and they are very technical.

I would even go as far as putting them in art rock, but prog related is definite.

their newest album "the quicksilver meat dream" is DEFINETLY a huge nod in the prog direction. listen to it, it is very tool influenced.

good examples for songs are "earth, sky, and c", "like a girl" (listen to that very king crimson-esque instrumental break), "infinity machine", "God Rocket (into the heart of las vegas)", "Hell and Malfunction", and "Meat Dreams: I.Umbilical transmissions, II. We be nine, III. That's quite and erection, Eric, IV. Blondes and bluster" amoung many more.

check em out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dig_%28I_Mother_Earth_album%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenery_and_Fish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Green_Orange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quicksilver_Meat_Dream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Mother_Earth

c'mon check these guys out, they've been a favorite of mine for a long time and im not just saying to add them just because i like them, i jsut really believe that they have a huge tinge of progressive rock in them.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 09:28

I haven't heard there latest, but I did buy Dig a while ago, to hear Edwin perform with his own band (after hearing him on Victor, Alex Lifeson's solo album). Based on that album, I wouldn't be tempted to put them in prog related - but that would have to be a decision based on all their albums.

Curious to the outcome...

Edited by Angelo - August 24 2007 at 09:28
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 01:28
yeah dig defiently isn't what i'd call prog, but the other albums have way more of a progressive touch to them.

this video sucks but to hear the song here's hell and malfunction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_RQnxJNoGg&mode=related&search=

on youtube that's the only song i can find by them that is a good example. there are even more progressive songs by them than this.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 14:21

Just took the job of checking the whole album The Quicksilver Meat Dream (Suposedly their closest to Prog album)  and found nothing more than another Alternative band trying to use the same boring depressive structure that so good financial results has brought to hundred of bands.

Don’t know why this guys try to call themselves Prog (A few days ago a thread about this issue was started) but it’s obvious that the Wikipedia information have been ´provided by a fan who talks only as a fan without support, to the point that the article about them has in the header:

Quote This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. (help, get involved!)
Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed.
This article has been tagged since June 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Mother_Earth

So the information and alleged Prog relation is not reliable at all, to the point that a site as Wikipedia that admits almost everything without a careful verification, adds a disclaimer.

This is what I found about the supposed Prog Related album:

1. 0157:H7: Just hard alternative, trying to sound like a heavy version of Nirvana meets Radiohead., even the vocals are mixture of Cobain and Yorke, but without the bright of neither.
  2. Choke: Boring Alternative meets early hard U2 tracks, now the voice has a Bono touch.
  3. I is Us: More alternative whining, totally predictable, lack of variations.
  4. God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas): More Hard alternative, noisy, loud but nothing I haven’t heard a million times, no Prog connection until now.
  5. Like the Sun: Noisy Metal ballad combo but then again more whining as Tom Yorke but again without the originality.
  6. Hell & Malfunction: Repetitive alternative, harder than usual but nothing that hasn’t been done 100 times before.
  7. Soft Bomb Salad: Oh please man!!!! More of the same, one of the most predictable Alternative albums I ever heard, has some good guitar passages but not enough to even relate them as a far cousin of Prog.
  8. No Coma: Seems as stolen from OK Computer or Nevermind, please, can’t this guys make something original?
  9. Meat Dreams: They should pay royalties for the Android Paranoid rip off.
  10. Passenger: Has some nice orchestral passages, but orchestra doesn’t mean Prog, you may add all the violins you want to an Alternative song and will still be the same alternative.

Nothing remotely worthy of addition, I’m not an expert on Alternative Rock so I won’t talk about their attributes as an Alternative band, they may be good or even great in what they do, but I do know a bit about Prog, and this is no Prog, Related or even remotely close to PR

Please, read the new definition of Prog Related, the additions are EXCEPTIONAL and “I Mother Earth” is hardly a band so exceptionally related to Prog that has to be included to our database, their contribution, influence or relation is virtually equal to zero, except for the references to Radiohead, but to a non Prog album as OK Computer.

Again this doesn’t mean they are bad, they may be a great Alternative band, I leave this to the Alternative experts, but Prog it isn’t.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 25 2007 at 14:22

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 04:13
fair enough, i actually didn't read the definition of prog related, i haven't been here in a while, i definetly don't think they are a prog rock band or anything, i just think they do have a little "related" type of thing to them.

but im pretty happy someone checked them out anyway, thanks!

again, i didnt suggest them jsut because i liked them or anything, i actually figured i heard some prog connections, but not everyone agrees on the same thing anyway.

adieu!
 Post Reply Post Reply