Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho composes songs for pop stars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who composes songs for pop stars?
    Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:17
I know this subject may be stupid for a prog fan, but I've recenly discovered that eg. this sh*tty Rihanna's hit "Umbrella" was composed by someone else and she had to try to get this song, maybe in a a kind of competion, in order to be allowed to sing it as "her own".

Is such a situation very common in pop music business?
That's horrible to me. Where's the idea of music as an art? Now all this "music" on the radio has become the opium of the masses...

Well, I had thought before that however stupid is this pop stuff, still songs are composed by singers, but if not, then can these pop stars be called "artists" anymore?
That's really overwhelming to me... Where is this music market getting at...

I've also read some time ago about inventing some programs that could create melodies that would be catchy and easily make hits. And that stars could pay money for using these programs. Has anyone heard about it?

Edited by Harold Demure - August 25 2007 at 12:19
You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:19
This is nothing new Pop bands have been using songs written by others for decades.
Harold Demure View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:23
Absolutely unbelievable to me.
In some celestial voice
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:26
Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.

Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:27
Who said that pop stars were artists? They're essentially actors ... most of them have decent voices / musical talent, a few have very good voices / musical talent, but it's not a requirement.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - August 25 2007 at 12:39
Harold Demure View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:34
Well, it may be a bit pesymistic, but I think that a miracle would have to happen to stop the development of this pop rubbish. I think it's unreal that in the future good, worth music will once again be popular, because music has already become business, not art...
OK, enough complaining for today.

Edited by Harold Demure - August 25 2007 at 12:35
In some celestial voice
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 12:58
Yes, it's very common, and far from new. Hits are often written by people who lack the voice, looks, or charisma to be stars themselves, but who nonetheless know the tastes of the masses and radio programmers very well.

In that light, though more "discerning" listeners like us might abhor such music, such hit writers are talented individuals -- not just anyone can compose a huge pop hit. Try it.

Also, remember the primary funtion of pop music: to make money, yes (music was a business well before you or I were born), but also to entertain the listener, who might just want to dance, or smile -- to be taken away from the cares of our screwed-up world for three minutes or so. As long as people aren't totally oblivious to what's going on, I see no real harm in that. Not all art can be "high art." Let my thirteen year old daughter be young for now, and dance with her friends. Let the tired working mother who must still find the extra energy to do housework after a hard day at work bop around to some fluffy pop while she does the laundry 

There's worse things folks could do, or spend their money on, and you can't force "good" taste upon others -- that's largely subjective, anyway.

Right now, my wife -- who enjoys some Abba and Madonna  along with my Yes, Rush, Floyd, Celtic music and Wilco -- is listening to some classical cello music. Later it might be Nelly Furtado. Really, what do I care? I'll be in the garage with my Neil Young -- which she also loves.

To each his own -- live and let live. There are greater evils than pop music to worry about! Smile

That music is crap, though! Wink Maybe later I'll come in and make fun of it, but I won't inflict my VDGG upon my loved ones, either. That's as painful to them as my daughter's Rhiannon or Ricky Martin is to me -- who's "right?" Ying%20Yang

(Thus concludes the sermon! Embarrassed)

Edited by Peter - August 25 2007 at 13:00
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:09
Some prog luminaries have, of course, written hugely successful pop tunes. Jem Godfrey of Frost and Pete Sinfield spring to mind...

Edited by salmacis - August 25 2007 at 13:10
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:16
Who composes songs for pop stars......?????

Loads of people, it pays the bills.... like radio jingles! (Jem 'Frost*' Godfrey is one such writer)

There is nothing wrong with pop, I love a bit of pop whilst I cook, loud Duran Duran whilst I 'do' my hair, and I still like prog, and classical and blues... etc etc.... you see, having wide ranging tastes to reflect different moods or activites broadens my horizons, and stops me from becoming a prog-bore or indeed an opera-bore or jazz-bore..... Jazz is for Sundays (Autumn & winter mainly) and blues is for spring and summer.... prog has pretty much been (throughout its relatively short history) and amalgamation of different styles, just like rock'n'roll was in the 50's.... pop is relevant, it's fun and it's fluffy, nowt wrong with that..... now the elevated staus of 'pop-stars'....now that makes me want to spend time in 'the ranting room' but I feel much the same way about the elevated staus of football stars, (don't get me started on the Beckhams!)

P-C x
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:25
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.

Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.
Confused Really? I don't buy it, and I surmise that you don't, either -- we have a little something called free will.

And who's to say that Van Der Graaf Generator, or the Mars Volta, or some obscure, "difficult" painter or novelist "deserve" more fame? Such artists are not trying to appeal to everyone, or the majority, just as a good Indian restaurant, or a craft microbrewery, are not trying to compete with McDonald's or Coors. They are not just making their art for fame or money -- they don't write pop singles.

What is hugely popular will always be there, and always be sneered at by the minority "elite" and "enlightened." In fact, if one of "our" pet artists suddenly becomes hugely popular, like as not we'll hasten to abandon them, for the next crop of struggling, starving artistes.

(See latter-day Genesis, and a certain Phil Collins.)

The "good" stuff will always be there, for us to seek out. In a very real sense, we need the prevailing 'bad" stuff to cast the 'good" in brighter contrast, just as three days of rain make us truly appreciate a single sunny day, or five days of working week drudgery make us enjoy our weekend more -- or impending, eternal death pushes us to do something with fleeting life. The bad lets us know what's good. if all music were "prog," then there'd be no "prog:" -- just music. Stern%20Smile

Do you really want all of the kids with the droopy pants to start wearing Peter Hammill tee shirts, and showing up to dance at the VDGG reunion concert? How would we pride ourselves on our superior tastes then?Wink

Edited by Peter - August 25 2007 at 13:44
He chortled in his joy.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:29
Originally posted by Harold Demure Harold Demure wrote:

I know this subject may be stupid for a prog fan, but I've recenly discovered that eg. this sh*tty Rihanna's hit "Umbrella" was composed by someone else and she had to try to get this song, maybe in a a kind of competion, in order to be allowed to sing it as "her own".

Is such a situation very common in pop music business?
That's horrible to me. Where's the idea of music as an art? Now all this "music" on the radio has become the opium of the masses...

Ever heard of the (in)famous trio Stock, Aitkin & Waterman? They ruled pop in the 80s, composing all the sh*t we heard on the radio back then. What else is new?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:34
Finally, it is possible to like some simpler, popular music, along with prog, you know (I'm not always in the same mood). Nor is all that's "pop" necessarily rubbish.

(See The Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, the Police, XTC, etc, etc.)

Maybe I'll listen to some Ramones, or Van Halen, when i'm done with this Joanna Newsom disc....Smile

He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:39
Overcast and damp, today -- a perfect dark ale day. Mmmmm -- complex and very tasty -- not for the timid!

If the sun comes out tomorrow, perhaps I'll have a light, easy-drinking lager....Smile

Edited by Peter - August 25 2007 at 13:40
He chortled in his joy.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:40
Havin' a good time Peter? D'you like Joanna?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:53
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Havin' a good time Peter? D'you like Joanna?

Yes thanks -- I hope you are too, Angelo!

Ermm At this early stage with the album, I'm not quite sure if "like" is quite the right word.... Ys is far from an easy listen! It has some of the oddest vocals I've ever heard, and there's not a lot of "tap your foot" melodies or sing-along choruses, now is there?Wink

Of course, I didn't buy the album expecting to find that, either.

Ms Newsom must be quite the character! WackoClap

Well, TTYL, friends -- Saturday chores are calling!Smile
He chortled in his joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Confused Really? I don't buy it, and I surmise that you don't, either -- we have a little something called free will.

Poor choice of words on my part there, perhaps I should of added 'attepmt to' in front of that little snippet.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:57
I like a good pop tune, especially from the 60s and to an extent the 70s, but what I can't stand is the blandness of some of it nowadays- from the 80s onwards it got particularly notable, IMHO. A lot of tunes even now (the aforementioned Stock/Aitken/Waterman set a precedent here!) have the same cheap sounding keyboards, naff 80s style drum sounds and fairly homogenised, non-distinctive vocals.

Look at the UK TV series 'The X Factor' or the US equivalent, 'American Idol'- these can be something of a guilty pleasure to see just how rancid some of the 'performers' are, but the producers now more than ever (IMHO) want singers to sound similar to each other. You'll have the boy band that sounds like Take That/Boyzone, the female vocalist that over-emotes/hams up the vocals a la Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, the male equivalent who does the same thing a la Michael Bolton or the Robbie Williams type.

daSilva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 17:36
I saw this guy the other day on TV who said something like:
Art is not defined by James Joyce. Stephen King defines art.

I think he has a point. I won't promote a Rhianna/Yes trade-off but I think you should listen to what hapens around you. Vox populi, vox Dei, I guess.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. (Bertrand Russell)
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 02:47
yeah it does suck,what i do is give credit to the people who wrote it.I know Prince and the scissor sisters are known for writing songs for other people.So when i listen to the song i think of it as theirs.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 09:45
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.

Yes Peter, but there is something to that statement. The music "business" has become so insulated that there is no chance of new sounds breaking through. Only the tried and true gets produced. So it's gong to be more of the same for a long time. Trends in music (popular too) used to change every few years. When was the last time there was a major shift?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>