Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho composes songs for pop stars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who composes songs for pop stars?
    Posted: September 26 2007 at 22:00
Originally posted by stiffywilly stiffywilly wrote:

they get some 40 year old song writer who prob gets paid 2 cent for their work

And because they get paid so badly and the performers are so dreadful, they say:

"Muahah! I will write a song with virtually no substance for them, then they will not be famous at all and their career in the music business will be over!"

Then, he cracks open a cold one in celebration of his deed, gets in his sweat pants, and with a bag o' potato chips, he jumps on his couch and flicks on the television, only to see his song at number one on the charts.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 21:55
they get some 40 year old song writer who prob gets paid 2 cent for their work
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 16:30
The Elvis 'co-writing' thing is something of an oddity. 'You'll Be Gone' is a pseudo-latin track.

Elvis cannot, and should never be, compared to the likes of Pat Boone. As Ivan has already posted, Boone's early career consisted of making sanitised versions of songs by black artists- his version of 'Tutti Frutti' is a complete and utter travesty. Little Richard once said that white kids had Boone's version on show in public but secretly played his versions (and I love Little Richard's originals- the intensity is hard to beat)! Say what you want about Elvis (and I'm a big fan), but he did NOT tone down the originals one bit, IMHO.

BTW, on a Pat Boone related note, and seeing as Ivan has mentioned his rather crazed decision to make an album of metal covers, it reminded me of a review that album got at the time- a reviewer whose name escapes me noted, and I quote, 'it's like watching one's parents having sex'!!!LOLLOL

Edited by salmacis - August 26 2007 at 16:31
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 16:12
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Not strictly true, apparently he wrote one song called "You'll Be Gone" in 1962.However, quite heinously in my view, he got co-writing credits on some songs in exchange for performing them!

Yes, it was amazing, but it was even worst that some blaclk artists at their beginnings were forced to credit the producers as co-authors, so they could allow a pop star perform the same songs without asking permission to the real author and paying a fraction of the royalties.

Iván.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:58
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Elvis Presley never wrote any of "his own" stuff.....

Not strictly true, apparently he wrote one song called "You'll Be Gone" in 1962.However, quite heinously in my view, he got co-writing credits on some songs in exchange for performing them!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:57

This is nothing new, some artists had troubles with lyrics, so the early studios had lyricists that for a salary made the words for a song, but lets be hionest, most of them were not good enough to make a cereer of their own.

Now the POP artists are mainly Karaoke singers, they don't play any instrument (most of them) or write their songs, they just need a barely decent voice and good looks.

One of the worst was  Pat Boone, he made a career singing "clean" versions for the ears of white kids with the great tracks that black artists wrote and performed 1,000 times better than him.

There was no way a black gay artist like Little Richard had airplay in a white redneck radio in the 50's or early 60's, so there was Pat Boone to earn more money than the author (being an instrument of racism and makinmg profit of it), the funny thing is that he tried to save his career with a pathetic version of Metal classics in "No More Mister Nice Guy" with temporary tatoos and everything but not only tyhe sales were a disaster, he was also fired from his Trinity Broadcasting Network program Gospel America. LOL

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 26 2007 at 16:09

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:39
Excuse the digression, but as I've said before, as a hard determinist, I don't believe that the will is truly free.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:31
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.
Confused Really? I don't buy it, and I surmise that you don't, either -- we have a little something called free will.

Yes Peter, but there is something to that statement. The music "business" has become so insulated that there is no chance of new sounds breaking through. Only the tried and true gets produced. So it's gong to be more of the same for a long time. Trends in music (popular too) used to change every few years. When was the last time there was a major shift?

That's a good point, bhikkhu, but I suppose there is also an unprecedented  ability for new artists to self-produce via computer & home studio technology, and self-promote via the internet.

Whatever the case (and in support of what you say), I don't look to the radio to find out about new artists, but to magazines (usually British), and our own PA, where "word of mouth" often leads me to interesting finds. (I liked it better when sample MP3s were available, but c'est la vie).

I find that I can buy as much good, current music these days as I ever could -- though finding out about it rarely involves commercial radio. Smile

Then again, though, I'm not really looking for "new trends in music" at this stage in my listening life -- my tastes seem to have more or less "coalesced."

Edited by Peter - August 26 2007 at 15:34
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 13:01
Elvis Presley never wrote any of "his own" stuff.....
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 09:45

Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.
Confused Really? I don't buy it, and I surmise that you don't, either -- we have a little something called free will.

Yes Peter, but there is something to that statement. The music "business" has become so insulated that there is no chance of new sounds breaking through. Only the tried and true gets produced. So it's gong to be more of the same for a long time. Trends in music (popular too) used to change every few years. When was the last time there was a major shift?

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 02:47
yeah it does suck,what i do is give credit to the people who wrote it.I know Prince and the scissor sisters are known for writing songs for other people.So when i listen to the song i think of it as theirs.
daSilva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 17:36
I saw this guy the other day on TV who said something like:
Art is not defined by James Joyce. Stephen King defines art.

I think he has a point. I won't promote a Rhianna/Yes trade-off but I think you should listen to what hapens around you. Vox populi, vox Dei, I guess.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. (Bertrand Russell)
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:57
I like a good pop tune, especially from the 60s and to an extent the 70s, but what I can't stand is the blandness of some of it nowadays- from the 80s onwards it got particularly notable, IMHO. A lot of tunes even now (the aforementioned Stock/Aitken/Waterman set a precedent here!) have the same cheap sounding keyboards, naff 80s style drum sounds and fairly homogenised, non-distinctive vocals.

Look at the UK TV series 'The X Factor' or the US equivalent, 'American Idol'- these can be something of a guilty pleasure to see just how rancid some of the 'performers' are, but the producers now more than ever (IMHO) want singers to sound similar to each other. You'll have the boy band that sounds like Take That/Boyzone, the female vocalist that over-emotes/hams up the vocals a la Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, the male equivalent who does the same thing a la Michael Bolton or the Robbie Williams type.

N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:55

Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.

Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.

Poor choice of words on my part there, perhaps I should of added 'attepmt to' in front of that little snippet.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:53
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Havin' a good time Peter? D'you like Joanna?

Yes thanks -- I hope you are too, Angelo!

Ermm At this early stage with the album, I'm not quite sure if "like" is quite the right word.... Ys is far from an easy listen! It has some of the oddest vocals I've ever heard, and there's not a lot of "tap your foot" melodies or sing-along choruses, now is there?Wink

Of course, I didn't buy the album expecting to find that, either.

Ms Newsom must be quite the character! WackoClap

Well, TTYL, friends -- Saturday chores are calling!Smile
He chortled in his joy.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:40
Havin' a good time Peter? D'you like Joanna?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:39
Overcast and damp, today -- a perfect dark ale day. Mmmmm -- complex and very tasty -- not for the timid!

If the sun comes out tomorrow, perhaps I'll have a light, easy-drinking lager....Smile

Edited by Peter - August 25 2007 at 13:40
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:34
Finally, it is possible to like some simpler, popular music, along with prog, you know (I'm not always in the same mood). Nor is all that's "pop" necessarily rubbish.

(See The Beatles, Rolling Stones, CCR, the Police, XTC, etc, etc.)

Maybe I'll listen to some Ramones, or Van Halen, when i'm done with this Joanna Newsom disc....Smile

He chortled in his joy.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:29
Originally posted by Harold Demure Harold Demure wrote:

I know this subject may be stupid for a prog fan, but I've recenly discovered that eg. this sh*tty Rihanna's hit "Umbrella" was composed by someone else and she had to try to get this song, maybe in a a kind of competion, in order to be allowed to sing it as "her own".

Is such a situation very common in pop music business?
That's horrible to me. Where's the idea of music as an art? Now all this "music" on the radio has become the opium of the masses...

Ever heard of the (in)famous trio Stock, Aitkin & Waterman? They ruled pop in the 80s, composing all the sh*t we heard on the radio back then. What else is new?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 13:25

Yeah it's a stupid situation as it allows talentless nobodies who look good to earn millions whilst real musicians struggle away and never get the recognition they deserve.

Unless that sort of Pop music suddenly becomes unpopular the record companies will continue to shove this rubbish down our throats.

And who's to say that Van Der Graaf Generator, or the Mars Volta, or some obscure, "difficult" painter or novelist "deserve" more fame? Such artists are not trying to appeal to everyone, or the majority, just as a good Indian restaurant, or a craft microbrewery, are not trying to compete with McDonald's or Coors. They are not just making their art for fame or money -- they don't write pop singles.

What is hugely popular will always be there, and always be sneered at by the minority "elite" and "enlightened." In fact, if one of "our" pet artists suddenly becomes hugely popular, like as not we'll hasten to abandon them, for the next crop of struggling, starving artistes.

(See latter-day Genesis, and a certain Phil Collins.)

The "good" stuff will always be there, for us to seek out. In a very real sense, we need the prevailing 'bad" stuff to cast the 'good" in brighter contrast, just as three days of rain make us truly appreciate a single sunny day, or five days of working week drudgery make us enjoy our weekend more -- or impending, eternal death pushes us to do something with fleeting life. The bad lets us know what's good. if all music were "prog," then there'd be no "prog:" -- just music. Stern%20Smile

Do you really want all of the kids with the droopy pants to start wearing Peter Hammill tee shirts, and showing up to dance at the VDGG reunion concert? How would we pride ourselves on our superior tastes then?Wink

Edited by Peter - August 25 2007 at 13:44
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>