FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanvas Solaris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas Solaris
    Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:21
Any other Canvas Solaris lovers? I know you have to be into the complexity for complexity sake school but that's the stuff I really love. For those unfamiliar, think of Spiral Architect, sans vocals, crossed with King Crimson "Projekcts" and you get a pretty good idea.
Did you ever think for yourself? Just once,did you ever think? That's all I want to know>
riversdancing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:38
A couple of years ago I was really into Gordian Knot and tried to find some similar artists. Canvas Solaris, a then new band was among my findings (and a couple of post-rock bands, such as Dysrhythmia or Pelican). Great band, and I really recommend them to '90/2000 era KC fans, especially the last two albums, where the sound quality and the compositions are much better then in the beginnings.
Casartelli View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 04:54
Yes, I like them a lot. Indeed, it contains a lot of similarities to the 'complexity for complexity's sake' movement, but compared to a lot of other of those technical-jazz-math-metal outfits, they also know how to write an actual song and to build some tension. Typically about three quarters of an hour, their albums are just not too long. Smile

I got on the boat by the release of their previous release, Penumbra Diffuse, but their latest record, Cortical Tectonics is a vast improvement.
Progshrike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 08:57
Originally posted by Casartelli Casartelli wrote:

Yes, I like them a lot. Indeed, it contains a lot of similarities to the 'complexity for complexity's sake' movement, but compared to a lot of other of those technical-jazz-math-metal outfits, they also know how to write an actual song and to build some tension. Typically about three quarters of an hour, their albums are just not too long. Smile

I got on the boat by the release of their previous release, Penumbra Diffuse, but their latest record, Cortical Tectonics is a vast improvement.
I agree! I think that's what sets them apart. The last two releases are a great blend of frenetic complexity and more groove-noodlingEmbarrassed that makes the complexity more impressive. 
Did you ever think for yourself? Just once,did you ever think? That's all I want to know>
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 09:35

Awesome band,and I think Cortical Tectonics is a big improvement over Penumbra Diffuse.

I love "complexity for complexity's sake",and there are some great instumental outfits playing this kind of music like Dysrhythmia,Sleep Terror,Electro Quarterstaff,Behold...the Arctopus and Continuo Renacer.

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 10:28
Love the band as well, and yes I'm really into technical stuffs and that includes all bands that  TheProgtologist mentioned.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 11:46
I also really like Sikth ... their 2003 album is really nice. They have (or rather: had) vocalists though ... 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 13:20
I only have Penumbra Difuse so far.  I guess I need to pick up the new one based on what I'm hearing about it.  I love instrumental music, to me there are few bands that a vocalist actually adds anything to. Usually they are an annoyance that I have to ignore to enjoy the music.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 20:16
I have one of their albums in my PC. I'm looking forward to listen to them.

Post Reply Post Reply