Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWHO WAS THE GUILTY OF GENESIS DECADENCE ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 15:54
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

[So it's obvious, Phil wants to use the recent popularity earned with hard work by Peter to sell a couple more albums and Peter doesn't need that.

Iván

Ivan, 

Do you really think that Phil needs money or is it a motivation to do anything for him at this point of his carrer?  I am sure the money from Disney alone would suffice anyone for the rest of their lives and probably their childrens life as well.  I don't think any of them are lacking for anything at this point in time. Except maybe Steve Hackett.

How about Tony or Mike.  Outside of Calling all Stations what have they done or tried to do to make money?  Is that because they don't need to?  I think so. I think that more than ever this reponse from Peter or Phil would be  based on desire and not because they need money. Of course a tour and maybe a CD would be profitable it just doesn't majke sense unless they want to do it because they don't need to. This situation would be closer to  the The Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour than anything else. Just my opinion.

Edited by Garion81

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Chris Stainton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 16:37

I love good pop music and Genesis wrote that. We Can't Dance has some great songs like "Dreaming While You Sleep", "Way Of The World" and the very moving "Since I Lost You".

I also agree with the Mategra. "Dodo", "Domino", "Silver Rainbow", "The Lady Lies", etc. are all fantastic prog songs.

"The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools.
If we make it we can all sit back and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I’ll be crying."
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 19:30

The guilty men are Collins,Rutherford and Banks who chose to turn their backs on proper prog music for selling their souls for pop's money with that preposterous little clown Collins the main culprit but abley abetted by the other two.Indeed, have the triumvirate not stated that they were a little embarassed by some of their earlier musical outpourings.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 19:36
I think Patrick Bateman said it best.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 20:15

Garion81 wrote:

Quote Do you really think that Phil needs money or is it a motivation to do anything for him at this point of his carrer?  I am sure the money from Disney alone would suffice anyone for the rest of their lives and probably their childrens life as well.  I don't think any of them are lacking for anything at this point in time. Except maybe Steve Hackett.

I don't hink he needs more money, but the question is what he WANTS, . Do you think Mick Jagger or Donald Trump or Don King or  Bill Gates, etc, but they keep working even though they could be resting in their homes. Once you got money, you need more, that's human.

But that's not all the problem. Proghead said it well in one sentence:

Proghead wrote:

Quote Peter has remained a credible artist while Phil has turned into a joke!

Petr Gabriel is a respected artist as Steve Hackett (Whom I doubt needs more money), their last tours were a success, on the other hand Phil Collins's Testify was a disappointment, didn't reached 10% of the expected sales, the tour was cancelled in many places.

Phil has lost credibility since he's working with Disney or even before, many TV programs (South Park, Saturday Night Life, etc) make terrible jokes about him, I'm sure a Genesis reunion will boost his popularity again. that's why he doesn't want to sing, only play drums.

Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett don't need to play with Genesis again, they have a secure and respected career, Phil Collins is a joke for half of the world.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 20:43
Maybe there's another criminal in this case that needs to be looked at:

The Ramones.

Honestly, when Hackett left, time were a changin'.  With and Wuthering was released in 1977, and thats an album thats undeniably progressive. The punk movement gathered steam in '75 and '76, and by '77 prog was all but wiped out in the eyes of rock critics and the general public. What were Collins, Banks, and Rutherford supposed to do? Die tragically holding the banner of progressive rock, jamming in 11/8 to the bitter end? Of course not, they're musicians, and true musicians (IMO) don't attach themselves to a genre- they attach themselves to music. As was said before, Genesis' early years were hard on the band, and they fought on making creative music. With punk having virtually mowed down prog rock in 1976, what was a three-manned Genesis supposed to do? I bet they were tired of it. Honestly, I don't blame them. I think they could have changed styles in a more graceful and respectful manner, like Rush and arguably Yes did, but for simply moving into the pop arena, I can't blame them. Again, I'm not saying that Collins is a worthy musician, as it seems that he's merely ridden Genesis out for his own personal gain, even during his drumming-only years, but I'm simply defending them for moving onto something different.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Jaja Brasil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 22:22

Hi Guys

Sweetnighter,

Gabriel and Hackett survived the Punk Movement, always making great and inventive works, records and shows (in gigs, mainly Gabriel).

They didn't sold their soul to bad music and easy money...

Best Greetings

JCProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 22:36
Originally posted by Jaja Brasil Jaja Brasil wrote:

Who was the guilty of the Genesis decadence sound after de departure of Steve Hackett ?

All those people who liked Follow You Follow Me, and kept buying their records.
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 22:42

i dont get how pop sensibilities is a good thing

just because it is a favorite band of yours, you dont have to like everything they put out and on top of that, defend it

Aaron

Jaja Brasil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 22:50

Hi JCProg

I loved your answer...

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 01:21
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

i dont get how pop sensibilities is a good thing

just because it is a favorite band of yours, you dont have to like everything they put out and on top of that, defend it

Aaron

Just because it isnt prog doesnt mean i have to dislike it either.

I wont argue that later genesis holds a candel to the early stuff, it doesnt. I dont even consider it to be the same band after and then there were three. I just happen to like some pop every now and then, i think its better than counrty rock myself

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 06:00
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Who is responsible?

Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Michael Rutherford, in that order.

Phil Collins: Took the lead and slowly pushed the band towards the style he liked more and was easier for him. After that he became more and more interested in making a personal fortune than in music.

Tony Banks: I don't understand him, Phil Collins was not a founder and didn't had a classical music formation, but Genesis was Tony Banks creation (Along with Mike and Peter), I can understand he wanted economic seccurity, but I believe they went too far.

Mike Rutherford: Also a founder but less important for the Genesis composition and sound than Tony Banks, he also choosed the easy way.

Iván

I don't think Collins is the main culprit here. Collins was on the verge of quitting too during ATTW3, he was facing a divorce and had moved to Vancouver he a last attempt to save his marriage - see the Vancouver track on the second Archive box. He actually did not have that much to so with that album but Follow You sold mega compared to other albums/singles.

Duke  like ATTW3 is also mainly a Banks album except for the three "Sellers" . I think that Banks called the shots (reason why Hackett not being able to express himself more fully - despite having a lot of tracks on W & W) and he saw that Collins had potential especially after Face Value sold $$$$$. So if we all hate Collins solo stuff, and he is prominent in 80's album, it is because of Banks (Rutherford just being happy to be raking the bucks). I do not think Collins ever took power in Genesis. This is Banks lovers making excuses....... Look at Tony's album Banks Statements : if that is no proof of selling out.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 07:30

This may be controversial but....

maybe they just got bored with prog rock and wanted to do something else...

I don't see it as a major betrayal or some big crime.

Sure I would love to 10 more albums like Selling England or Trick of the Tail but such is life.

Most of us have moved on from most of the things we did 10 years ago and to go back to them would seem a retrograde step. We've been there, done that and moved on.

I don't think it's fair to say it was solely the pursuit of money either. Sure when you suddenly find yourself getting commercial success with Follow Me and then Turn it on Again the thought surely enters the head that doubling the few hundred grand they brought in might be a nice idea and might just put your children through college and pay off the mortagage on your baronial pile in the leafy home counties. But i would imagine that was not the driving force behind those songs. I feel sure that the impetus was from listening to other stuff, being influence by it, feeling that you're moving with the times, not getting stuck in a rut - for want of a better word 'progressing'

Personally, I think Genesis did some great work up until the Genesis album. After that it was largely workmanlike pop from guys heading into their 40s with nothing left to prove except to the bank manager. But I don't think you can haul them over the coals for that.

I do wonder at Tony Banks though. I do think he just just gave up caring after '83 and just like many of us do at our own jobs I think he 'clocked in' did what was required, 'clocked out' and collected his wages at the end of it all. A shame but it happens to the best of us.

Collins and Rutherford? I give you Disney and Mike and the Mechanics. I'm sure Rutherford at least thought he was doing something worthwhile (even if the rest of the world disagreed) but Collins and Disney - what a cheap shot at the Oscar the child actor in him obviously craves so desperately and also a cheap shot at a monster pay cheque. It's not like he needed either. The guy has no shame and even less artistic integrity. Okay, if you're poor and someone waves a fat cheque at you then 'art' is a luxury you can't afford. But it wasn't like Collins was short of a few quid. I can't see Gabriel ever doing Disney. Way too much class for that. (any he really is bonkers enough to turn down squillions)

In the case of 'decadent' Genesis, all things must pass as George Harrison quoted. Genesis had their 'classic prog' period, it lasted for 7 albums. That's a pretty long run. Enjoy those. And do go back and listen to Duke and Abacab, there are some really good things there, even if they aren't 23 minutes long.

Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 09:54

I'm with arcer on this one. It's all to easy to point fingers at individuals but like so many things in life, there is undoubtedly no one factor that changed them from a cutting edge progressive act to a multi platinum selling, hit machine.

If there is an overriding fact that pushed itself to the fore, it would be that nothing lasts forever. To say otherwise would be to fly in the face of all reason and to become the slave to subjectivity and nostalgia.

This site seems to teem with this kind of perception at times.

Lark´s Vomit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:00
PILL COLLINS 
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by Lark´s Vomit Lark´s Vomit wrote:

PILL COLLINS 

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Prog_head View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:03
What pill has he taken

They called me the Reverend when i entered the Chruch unstained;
My employers have changed but the name has remained.
Lark´s Vomit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:06
Well at least Gabriel was a personality, Pill Collins is just a Pop Star 
Prog_head View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:10
Very True. But to be fair to phil he did sing some good songs with the band (e.g. TOTT AND W&W Albums)

They called me the Reverend when i entered the Chruch unstained;
My employers have changed but the name has remained.
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 17:40
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

This may be controversial but....

maybe they just got bored with prog rock and wanted to do something else...

I don't see it as a major betrayal or some big crime.

Sure I would love to 10 more albums like Selling England or Trick of the Tail but such is life.

Most of us have moved on from most of the things we did 10 years ago and to go back to them would seem a retrograde step. We've been there, done that and moved on.

I don't think it's fair to say it was solely the pursuit of money either. Sure when you suddenly find yourself getting commercial success with Follow Me and then Turn it on Again the thought surely enters the head that doubling the few hundred grand they brought in might be a nice idea and might just put your children through college and pay off the mortagage on your baronial pile in the leafy home counties. But i would imagine that was not the driving force behind those songs. I feel sure that the impetus was from listening to other stuff, being influence by it, feeling that you're moving with the times, not getting stuck in a rut - for want of a better word 'progressing'

Personally, I think Genesis did some great work up until the Genesis album. After that it was largely workmanlike pop from guys heading into their 40s with nothing left to prove except to the bank manager. But I don't think you can haul them over the coals for that.

I do wonder at Tony Banks though. I do think he just just gave up caring after '83 and just like many of us do at our own jobs I think he 'clocked in' did what was required, 'clocked out' and collected his wages at the end of it all. A shame but it happens to the best of us.

Collins and Rutherford? I give you Disney and Mike and the Mechanics. I'm sure Rutherford at least thought he was doing something worthwhile (even if the rest of the world disagreed) but Collins and Disney - what a cheap shot at the Oscar the child actor in him obviously craves so desperately and also a cheap shot at a monster pay cheque. It's not like he needed either. The guy has no shame and even less artistic integrity. Okay, if you're poor and someone waves a fat cheque at you then 'art' is a luxury you can't afford. But it wasn't like Collins was short of a few quid. I can't see Gabriel ever doing Disney. Way too much class for that. (any he really is bonkers enough to turn down squillions)

In the case of 'decadent' Genesis, all things must pass as George Harrison quoted. Genesis had their 'classic prog' period, it lasted for 7 albums. That's a pretty long run. Enjoy those. And do go back and listen to Duke and Abacab, there are some really good things there, even if they aren't 23 minutes long.

I agree! As I said before, true musicians don't attach themselves to one genre and stay there- they change it up and move around.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>