Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFolk Prog/Artrock fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folk Prog/Artrock fan
    Posted: September 10 2007 at 06:03

Hi fellow prog rock fans!

StarI am British national based in Greece and I'm really into Artrock and Folkrock from all over the world.  I find that this website is extremely well organised and a great way to find, listen to new musicClap and hear the views of other like-minded people. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would love to hear from you!Smile

I listen to:
Jethro Tull (surprise, surprise!)
Wishbone Ash
Phideaux
Rush
Eloy
Renaissance
Caravan
Pink Floyd
It's A Beautiful Day
The Moody Blues
Iron maiden
Dream Theatre
Phoenix
Pavlov's Dog...
This list could go on forever!

Edited by cacha71 - September 10 2007 at 16:25
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 10:02
Howdy from Texas.  Feel free to browse at your leisure.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 11:45
Welcome Smile
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 20:37
Awesome bands listed there. I also love folk-rock; you might like Traffic, Gryphon, Jan Dukes de Grey, Guy Manning, Comus....... and many others.

Welcome! Thumbs%20Up
The best you can is good enough...
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 20:42
Originally posted by cacha71 cacha71 wrote:

I listen to:

Pavlov's Dog...

Hug

Welcome to PA!
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 21:04

Phoenix

I'm happy you mention this favourite band of mine... Welcome and have a great fun! Hug
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 03:51
Ziua!  Multumesc, gratia, Andu

Yes, Phoenix is a great band which I loved as soon as I heard and I have nearly collected all of their albums listed in their discography. 
Their appears to be an album not mentioned in the discography on this site, "Timisoara" (1992), which I reckon definitely deserves a mention. Any particular reason for this?
It would be good if they could get their website up and running (it appears to be half completed at the moment), and promote their work more, making it more readily available to future fans because at the moment their albums are incredibly hard to get hold ofCry
A tour outside Romania and Germany would also be great!

Edited by cacha71 - September 14 2007 at 04:07
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 04:07
Buenos Dias, Sircosick!

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have already "discovered" Guy Manning and Traffic, the former more recently and the latter some time ago, I really like their music but I have yet to expand my collection. 
I am also interested in Las Jaivas who I believe are from your part of the world.
There is so much good music out there to be discovered, I really have to exert some self control so as not to run up a huge credit card bill!

Edited by cacha71 - September 14 2007 at 04:09
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 10:19

Ziua!  Multumesc, gratia, Andu

Yes, Phoenix is a great band which I loved as soon as I heard and I have nearly collected all of their albums listed in their discography. 
Their appears to be an album not mentioned in the discography on this site, "Timisoara" (1992), which I reckon definitely deserves a mention. Any particular reason for this?
It would be good if they could get their website up and running (it appears to be half completed at the moment), and promote their work more, making it more readily available to future fans because at the moment their albums are incredibly hard to get hold ofCry
A tour outside Romania and Germany would also be great!

Hi Caroline,

Glad to find another Phoenix devotee! Smile I'm working on their materials and I'm planning to add all the missing releases and then to write extended reviews on them. I hope to be able to accomplish this later this autumn. However, 100% honest, I don't think that any Phoenix material is essential except for the three classic albums; myself I happen to also like the album you mentioned - I think you were talking about the orchestral album "Symphoenix - Timisoara". The band is still active, but only in Romania - maybe it's for the better, you could be disappointed. I don't like very much what they're doing.

The reason for which they can't do more promotion for their classic stuff is that they don't own the rights to their music. It's a sad story. During communism, the bands coming to record in the studio had to sign an agreement to give the copyright to the state record company, Electrecord, only receiving a small, fixed amount of money in exchange. The band is now in legal conflict with Electrecord. The band is somehow in the possession of the original master tapes for "Cantafabule", but they can't release the remaster because of the legal conflict. The other two classic albums belong to Electrecord. It's all depending on Electrecord (damn those incompetent evil b*****ds Angry)

Here's a gift for you: the logo for the modern Phoenix, drawn by Nicu Covaci himself

sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 13:00

Buenos Dias, Sircosick!

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have already "discovered" Guy Manning and Traffic, the former more recently and the latter some time ago, I really like their music but I have yet to expand my collection. 
I am also interested in Las Jaivas who I believe are from your part of the world.
There is so much good music out there to be discovered, I really have to exert some self control so as not to run up a huge credit card bill!

Yep.... Los Jaivas are from Chile and they're the equivalent of the southamerican Jethro Tull Tongue  Of course with touches of our own folklore. Check them! Big%20smile
The best you can is good enough...
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 04:29

Hi Andu!

Thanks for the Phoenix logo!
That would explain why CDs are hard to get hold of.  Who is in charge of Electrecord anyway?  Haven't these state owned companies succumbed to the trend towards privatisation?  You would think that it would be in the interests of record companies to help artists signed up with them, but maybe I'm just being naive...Confused
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 07:28
^ The state is always the worst administrator, that's a fact, but a state of recent communist tradition is the worst of them all... Anyway, check this out: SymPhoenix - TimişoaraSmile

I would love to see your reviews!
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 08:59
You added it to the discography - that's great!
It deserves to be in the discography, although I think you are definitely right about the three classic albums.
I would really love to write reviews for Phoenix (and other artists' albums of course!) but I do not have a music background (I don't really think that a year of classical guitar lessons really counts)  and therefore don't feel that I am really qualified to do so.  It seems to me that half the members at this site who write rewiews are band members or in some other way actively involved in music, whereas I am a humble "newby".  So I' m a bit shy about writing reviewsEmbarrassed .  I'm into music for the sheer pleasure of listening to it!

I really would like to understand the lyrics as I think that they so important to the appreciation of the artist's work.  In the case of Phoenix, I am working on itWink!

Edited by cacha71 - September 27 2007 at 03:43
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 14:55

Dream Theatre

LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 10:18
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

^ The state is always the worst administrator, that's a fact, but a state of recent communist tradition is the worst of them all... Anyway, check this out: SymPhoenix - TimişoaraSmile

I would love to see your reviews!

I plucked up the courage to write one - if you are still following this thread check it out!
 Post Reply Post Reply