Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCentaur Rodeo (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 14:26
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Looks like Centaur Radio have been rejected by the Eclectic team. Tough luck, but still great music.

Well first of all, they haven't even got the name right. And according to my source, there's only been one rejection vote thus far by the team. Still, not quite sure how it could be deemed anything other than progressive rock.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 15:01
Errrm... the name was my mistake, I type to much and too fast Embarrassed

What genre would you put yourselves in? There's more teams than just eclectic after all...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 15:09
Well according to your "source" there's one rejection, but since Eclectic is (currently) made of two collaborators who discuss a band together, I can tell you there's a second vote of rejection. Wink

I know we all have bands that blow us away, but, to be really honestly, Centaur Radio have a long list of influences, it seems like a joke (to not say a mockery, since it's not useful at all) made to have the myspace domain interesting, whilst the music, while experimental and fuzzy, is of an inferior quality.

That's what I can tell you, as collaborator.

Edited by Ricochet - December 26 2007 at 15:11
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 16:10

Haha, well we have prog, indie, jazz, classical, and more influences, which all in some way or another play a role in what we write and play. Sure some influences stand out more than others, and we were going to rearrange the list to reflect that, but we all listen to a lot of different music, so we put all of it up there. Then we added some more as somewhat of a joke, but why does that make any difference in who the band is? And why is a band not allowed to make jokes?

Now, I know the recording might be of a slightly inferior quality, but where is the musicianship or songwriting "inferior?" I'm not trying to create an argument, and I am by no means arrogant; we are a young band with some development left to do. But many aspects of prog music are already present: odd times, uncommon instruments, soundscapes, long, multi-movement songs, multiple key/mode changes, unpredictability, overall technical drum/bass/guitar work, etc. Surely you had to have listened to our actual songs (i.e. "Sparta") and not just the noise/percussion improvisation clips we put up.

It's all there. And, even if it's not among the ranks of the elites quite yet, that still doesn't mean it is not prog rock music. The quality of the music does not determine what type of music it is. Now, maybe "eclectic prog" isn't the specific subgenre we should be in right now, but maybe somewhere else?

And, to get this straigtened out the second word is RODEO, not RADIO.

Edited by Moatilliatta - December 26 2007 at 16:23
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 16:21
Well, I just read more carefully the posts, and noticed you're a member of the band. I probably wouldn't have said a thing like "inferior quality", but moreover suggested that it has a fair amount of qualities, but also rough ones.

Sorry for the "joke/mockery" as well. I definitely take those words back, I shouldn't be a person that tells you how to present your band's values or curiosities.

The idea is that I think of several artists that state a lot of influences, but only sound like a couple of those. Your list, I have to tell you honestly, is humongous and of no help, even for an "eclectic rock" suggestion. You mentioned you just put the bands (and personality, cause "Jesus" is obviously not a band Confused) you and your friends listen to. That's fairly not what "influences" should mean, especially if your music rather suggests a totally different sound.

Regarding the music, since you do a lot of experiments and have a rather grungy/alternative charisma in the hard rock parts,  I'd suggest Post-Rock. It's a thought, there's a chance...

Edited by Ricochet - December 26 2007 at 16:27
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 16:33

Well I still don't see how the list plays that important of a role in something like this. One can simply listen to the music and figure out where some of it came from. However, I also believe that everything you listen to regularly has in some way or another influenced your writing or performing, which is partially why all of those names are there. I know some of the other guys in the band took the list a little too far when they added some music that clearly is not fitting just for the sake of the joke, but I'm not going to make a fuss about something so trivial.

Now, as far as Jesus goes. Clearly he is not a band, but if you've not noticed, he is part of a second group of influences, all of whom have nothing to do with music. They are people in our lives or authors or actors who have played a role in our lyrics.

As far as where we belong, We are definitely moving in a post-rock direction with our writing as of late, but we aren't going to play any of it until we finish the current project which is an instrumental piece that involves a lot of avant-garde stylings and is extremely technical. This is where the term "eclectic" would really be most fitting. Now, this first album, despite the noises and genre-fusing is rather modern and could be "crossover." Either way, in the most humble way possible, I do feel our music has a place here somewhere.

Edited by Moatilliatta - December 26 2007 at 16:37
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 15:27
Missed a bit of interaction here (and a bit of painful interaction as well so it seems Confused).
I'm proposing you to dark master Dean on Crossover, and probably to the Post-rock team as well. Thumbs%20Up
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 20:49
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

As far as where we belong, We are definitely moving in a post-rock direction with our writing as of late, but we aren't going to play any of it until we finish the current project which is an instrumental piece that involves a lot of avant-garde stylings and is extremely technical. This is where the term "eclectic" would really be most fitting. Now, this first album, despite the noises and genre-fusing is rather modern and could be "crossover." Either way, in the most humble way possible, I do feel our music has a place here somewhere.

Xover looked at this... and didn't think it quite fit... and but we talked long and hard about it.  We're sitting on this... pending future developments with your group, and other subs.

edit... to your point in bold.... I agree.. which is why we are not rejecting... just sitting on it. Just to clarify.

Edited by micky - December 28 2007 at 20:50
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 07:15
I left your name at the Post-Rock team as well now - given your latest comments about the way your music is developing.
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 15:35
Haha, let's try Heavy Prog next!

Angelo, I really appreciate your help here. Thanks.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 16:06

hahhah.... and if heavy doesn't work.... how about Jazz Fusion... notice you had Brubeck as an influence LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 16:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahhah.... and if heavy doesn't work.... how about Jazz Fusion... notice you had Brubeck as an influence LOL

Hahaha, that's right! Great idea.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 16:13

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hahaha, that's right! Great idea.

Wink
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 19:10
I'm not trying to go against the members of the Eclectic Team, but they definitely are Art Rock material and there isn't a better place for them in the Art Rock categories than Eclectic.

Here's my thoughts one them:
- They aren't really crossover since there isn't really much "popular" music in them to be considered as crossover.
- They aren't really Post-Rock since they clearly don't have the qualities of a post-rock band like minimalism, crescendos, the simple instrumentation. Instead they have all the qualities I see in modern prog bands like epics, technicality, odd times, "multi-movement songs".

I wouldn't really recommend them to the Heavy Prog team since the heaviness isn't really the main attraction in their music and they use it sparingly like many modern prog bands. But if all else fails they may have a shot in there.

So I politely ask the Eclectic team to reconsider their decision and to listen to their music again without paying much attention to their influences or that improvisation track.

sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 22:07
I listened to the songs and I think eclectic is the best fit for them. I think the music is undeniably progressive first of all, and thus does belong here. Being that I think it belongs here, it's then a matter of finding out where, so as to help anyone looking for them or similar artists to them.
Looking at the list of influences and listening to the music and arrangement of instruments, I think eclectic is a perfect fit. They have a wide variety of music and compose songs using many different instruments and blending several styles, the very definition of eclectic.
anyway, good music nonetheless, and i think in some form Centaur Rodeo surely belongs on this site.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 15:55
Things are moving... now let's see if the teams can make up their minds Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 21:50

So if we reorganize our influences list will you reconsider us, Ricochet?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 21:53

So if we reorganize our influences list will you reconsider us, Ricochet?

yes...  eclectic will reconsider...
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 22:03

I have been listening to Tongues of Flame quite a bit this week and really dig it.

It's almost prog metal if you ask me.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 22:06
if you want a crack at it Jody.... they are yours.. otherwise Greg and I will take another listen to it for eclectic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>