Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New album additions by PA members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 42>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 09:54
^ Bio could do with an update, and the current official website link that we have (progdomerecords) leads to what looks like a Chinese gambling site (Google tried to translate it for me, but failed despite several tries).

There is an official Different Strings website at http://www.differentstringsmalta.com, containing a bio by main man Chris Mallia that was updated just over a year ago.

You can probably get his permission to use it via a message at https://www.facebook.com/differentstrings.mt, since it was he who wrote the original one back in 2006.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 10:36
^ Good, good !
I took your suggestion - and credited you on the artist page (you don't mind, do you?)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 11:06
^ Lol! No, I don't mind...but there's no need to credit me with anything on here - I'm a pretty anonymous type of person really!

PS: Official website link is showing as correct now, but both Chrome and IE11 still give me the old 2006 biography, and I've never loaded that particular page in IE11 before, so I don't think its a browser cache issue in this instance (or maybe you messaged Chris on facebook as I suggested, and are still awaiting his permission to use the updated bio?)

Edit: Maybe you'd like a full band photo rather than Chris on his own? Here's a link to a good one from facebook, uploaded by the band in June 2014: https://scontent.fman1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10462983_10152190688361935_4885292973172296566_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0b1ea2852ac5fcbbd332edda553d5b0a&oe=5BCA7D6E.

Edited by yam yam - August 04 2018 at 12:34
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 15:05
^ A little (deserved) recognition will do you no harm ... hopefully Big smile
Still waiting, you're right
About the photo, well, I'm assuming it's a personal project (with guests) so didn't feel the need to change the one already there, but take a look how I combined both options.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 17:53

That photo was featured in a mention for the band in a piece on the Times of Malta website about the 2014 'Music from Elsewhere' festival which they were due to take part in: https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140706/arts-entertainment/Meet-the-bands-from-elsewhere.526720, and the text of it reads thus:

"Led by Chris Mallia, who originally launched the band as a one-man project around a decade and a half ago, Different Strings is one of the leading names on Malta’s progressive rock scene. Operating away from the mainstream, the band’s music has gradually evolved, with the changes in its line-up reflected in a heavier metal edge now quite prominent in its sound.

Further to receiving positive reviews by local and international critics, the band recently won the Malta edition of the Hard Rock Rising competition, going on to garner the highest-ever placing by a Maltese band in the final phase of the Global Battle of the Bands".

So yeah - it's effectively a one-man project, but that photo is the live band that Chris had put together in readiness for their appearance at the above-mentioned festival in 2014, and so I thought it might be worth using as the band pic on our site, rather than one showing just the main man.

I had a look to see how you'd combined the two options, but the photo is still showing the one of Chris on his own in my Chrome browser at the moment, so I guess Google hasn't caught up with the update as yet.

Edited by yam yam - August 04 2018 at 17:53
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 05:08
Don't forget to refresh the page or it will keep on coming from the browser cache instead of retrieving the new one directly from the site

(Just saying - I did, and it imediately showed the new photo - but I reckon sometimes it takes a while)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 12:25
Yeah, the split photo shows in my browser now, and does the job admirably.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 15:41
My pleasure, David, I like to keep the house tidy LOL

(Now seriously, thx for the help, please keep it coming)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:43
This band's albums all need a bit of TLC: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5443.
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35999 - No total time. No instruments assigned to the musicians (see facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/esorchestra/about/, or the bio on the main PA page). No releases info (they can be found at bandcamp: https://emptyspaceorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/empty-space-orchestra).

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=28376 - No track times. Track 5 'Pandaimon' should read 'Pandiamon'.

1. Pre (1:23)
2. Big Bang (4:35)
3. Escalation 05:57 
4. Read Between the Lions (11:51)
5. Pandiamon (4:41)
6. Cornea (6:17)
7. So it Goes (8:50
8. Post (1:37
9. Pandemonium (20:04)

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35998 - No instruments assigned to musicians - see 1st album above.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 09:33
^ Thanks, done.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 08:15

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=56106 - No track times.

You can find them here: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/solitary-league/1313047529.

1. Hypervigilant (4:58)
2. Flight to Mars (6:10)
3. Myriad Scars (9:44)
4. Math's Patterns (8:31)
5. The Cloud (8:02)
6. Grace in Words (6:35)
7. 3:09 (1:48)
8. Deadlock (5:38)
9. Modern Solitude (9:38)

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 09:13
^ Houston, we have a problem !
While CDBaby concurs with iTunes, both Musicbrainz and Discogs give very different durations from those you posted - Who's right ? David, could you please try to get it for us ?

(maybe all are, simply each refering to a different edition/mix ???)

Edited by Quinino - August 26 2018 at 09:13
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 12:07
Lol! I should have known that you'd spot that, being so absolutely thorough in everything that you do...and I should really have mentioned it in my post.

I have the album in digital format, and the track times match those on iTunes to within a second or so.

Spotify and YouTube also agree...and these are sites that actually have the audio there for you to listen to in full to verify things beyond refute, whereas Discogs and Musicbrainz are nothing but plain information sites, and you just have to accept what is written there in good faith.

I normally use Discogs as my first point of call for checking an album's info, and usually find them totally reliable, but in this case it seems that both they and Musicbrainz have got some duff information from somewhere. I don't know of any other editions or mixes of the album - and even if there were, any there's no way the times as they list them could differ so much!

I think you're on pretty safe ground here to use the times I posted.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 12:31
^ And that I shall do - thanks a lot mate

(glad you take my silly ways with a laugh, that's also how I manage to put up with myself) LOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 13:13
^ The Musicbrainz disc ID must be linked to more than one Day Six release. The times that they and Discogs have added for the 'Solitary League' album are actually the ones from the previous Day Six release 'The Grand Design'. It seems that disc IDs are not guaranteed to be unique, and especially for CDs with a small number of tracks, they can be shared by various CDs with apparently nothing in common.

Following on from this, I'm afraid 'The Grand Design' album entry on PA also has no individual track times...Just a value for the total time: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=29014 - a bit more work for you I'm afraid!

Discogs is correct with its times for this album though: https://www.discogs.com/Day-Six-The-Grand-Design/release/7934618...Just a pity that they repeat exactly the same times for 'Solitary League!

1. Massive Glacial Wall (9:03)
2. Lost Identity (9:02)
3. Castel Gandolfo (6:30)
4. Inside (16:27)
5. Fergus Falls (7:40)
6. A Soul's Documentary (4:46)
7. Age Of Technology (8:08) 
8. 7th Sign (7:02) 
9. In The End... (3:40)

Someone with a Musicbrainz account needs to log in and put this error right. You can read a bit more about the issue here: https://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_Disc_IDs.

Edit: The Day Six biography is way out of date too. You could contact vocalist/guitarist Robbie van Stiphout (aka Raf Stiphout) via facebook (messenger) and get his permission to update it with the one currently available via their website: http://day-six.com/biography/.

Edit #2: Amended above track list to include track #8, which I had previously accidentally erased.

Edited by yam yam - August 27 2018 at 03:35
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 15:01
^ I see now what you mean, good work - will update accordingly, thanks (BUT where's track #8 ????)

I once tried to launch a collective effort from collabs to update bios and stuff, unfortunately with poor success - but every little drop will add something to the larger stream, why don't you make that FB move and come back with the authorized bio so we can  upload it to Day Six page ?

Edited by Quinino - August 26 2018 at 15:07
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 19:40
^ Ha Ha! I reckon it didn't quite make it through the 'black hole' that is lovingly referred to on here as craptcha!

No - seriously now - when I edited out the tab spaces and carriage returns that result from copying track lists and times from Discogs, I must have accidentally highlighted a whole line, and not noticed that it had happened. My dog was sitting at my side with his lead in his mouth while I was doing all this, it being already way past his walk time, so I guess I was a bit too rushed to check my post properly before submitting it to the all-devouring monster! Sorry! Embarrassed

With regard to fb and Raf Stiphout, I think it would be better if the bio permission request to him came from someone on here with a bit of authority rather than a run-of-the-mill ordinary or 'senior' member. I'll try to get it if you really want me to, but don't be surprised if he ignores the request, 'cos as well as my lowly ranking on this site, my only remaining facebook account is in an assumed name...with a suspiciously fake sound to it too! I closed the real one when the fb privacy scandal erupted a short while back - meaning that I didn't simply deactivate it, but that I deleted it for good.

If all else fails and we don't get Raf's permission, I'll edit the bio so that it isn't recognisable any more as a copy and paste job, and hopefully you can just use that.

I know exactly where you're coming from regarding bio updates. I may have mentioned this before, but just in case I haven't, I spent several weeks of long hours on line back in the autumn/winter of 2013/14 searching out the info needed to write bios for all the bands and artists on the site that didn't have one at that time - starting here - and Special Collabs Scott (AtomicCrimsonRush), with occasional help from Thanos (aapatsos), did the job of turning each bit of info I had unearthed into an actual bio and adding it to the band or artist's page. We got the number of bands without bios down from 78 to just over 20 over the course of those few months before the initiative fizzled out completely. All the info to finish the job off had been found and posted there, but the thread became inactive when Scott and Thanos no longer had the time to complete the remaining additions, and it has now sadly been locked so nobody can post anything there.

It seems that most, if not all of the info has now been turned into bios for these bands and artists by somebody on here with the appropriate authority, so I guess it was all worth it in the end, but it was a bit frustrating for me at the time when everything suddenly stalled with the finishing post clearly in sight, especially after we had been going along so nicely up to that point.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 02:26
^ I don't use FB  - never did, actually, in spite of having created an  account sometime ago and never posted even a single time - so the task seems nevertheless easier for you, if you can find the will and time, I mean
Thanks for caring, anyway

Edited by Quinino - August 27 2018 at 02:28
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 03:25
^ I contacted Raf on facebook just now and explained the situation to him. Let's see what happens...
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 10:52
No joy with Raf on facebook as yet, but I'm not sure that he's logged in there recently.

In the meantime...

1. Ex Nihilo (2:35)
2. The Illuminated Sky (7:41)
3. Titan (4:38)
4. Distant Anamnesis (1:31)
5. Beneath Enriya (6:57)
6. In The Shadows Of The Earth (5:35)
7. Alien Makers Of Discord (featuring Greg Howe) (9:03)
8. Cosmic Emissary (7:10)
9. Akaibara (5:09)
10. Where Masters Fall (featuring Marc Hudson) (11:39)

The current biography for Prospekt (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6475) is very very brief, and contains no real info, so I compiled this offering from these three web pages if you feel it is worth using:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROSPEKT is a band from Oxfordshire, UK, which was founded in 2008 by guitarist Lee LULAND and drummer Blake RICHARDSON. The duo were soon accompanied in rehearsals by bassist Phil WICKER before vocalist Matt WINCHESTER also joined the band in 2009 to complete the initial line up.

In March 2011, a first self-titled EP was released, and in the fall of that same year, Richard MARSHALL joined the band as keyboardist. He also took over the vocals following the subsequent departure of Matt WINCHESTER, and in 2013 the band released their debut full album 'The Colourless Sunrise' on Sensory Records. In October 2014 they played at the ProgPower Europe progressive metal festival at the JC Sjiwa Club & Youth Centre - a popular event which is held annually in the small village of Baarlo in the Netherlands.

Four years passed before the sophomore full studio album 'The Illuminated Sky' was released, with keyboardist/vocalist Richard MARSHALL having left the band in 2015, and his duties now being taken over by Rox CAPRIOTTI on keyboards and Michael MORRIS on vocals.

The band is influenced by acts such as DREAM THEATER, SYMPHONY X, OPETH, and CIRCUS MAXIMUS, as well as film scores and fusion - blending technical progressive metal with the more symphonic elements of contemporary prog.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current band website we have for them is bandcamp, but it is very rudimentary, giving no info about them at all, and only including the debut EP: https://prospekt.bandcamp.com/.

I suggest using facebook as the official website instead: https://www.facebook.com/ProspektUK, although it hasn't been updated now in over a year.

They did also have a dedicated website until sometime last year, but the domain has now expired, and has not been renewed. I don't believe they are currently active.

Band photos of them as a five-piece are available on facebook and also the earsplitcompound link that I gave above if you want to replace the current old four-piece band photo that we have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 42>