Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Future of Rock (not just prog)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: how do you feel about the future of rock?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [17.07%]
16 [39.02%]
13 [31.71%]
5 [12.20%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Future of Rock (not just prog)
    Posted: March 10 2005 at 20:16
So, what do you think?

I think that people's attitudes about rock are changing. I think they're changing slowly, but they're changing nonetheless. The fact that a group like the Mars Volta is the cover feature of Rolling Stone magazine certainly says something. I know that many of my friends are reaching into the past to dig up good music, and have tired of a lot of what is out there today.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Rob The Plant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 20:24
Unfortunately a lot of terrible music, the first to come to mind being Emo seems to be in it's prime. Perhaps eventually talented musicians such as The Mars Volta will start to take the forground of the scene. I have noticed a lot of my peers being into some of the classic stuff lately, so a change in thr right direction seems very possible.
Collaborators will take your soul.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 20:58
They'll be featured in an automobile advertisment in no time. Yay.
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 21:00
We better pray for better days.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 21:05

I think Rock is in a crisis, rock icons are older each day, because there are no new real artists, only singers that appear and vanish after one album.

Slowly people is searching for older material, just look at the ages of this Forum members, teens listening Yes, Genesis, ELP, never happened this since the early 70's.

Bands as Radiohead (Not Prog ) or Coldplay, even if we don't like them aretrying to rescue older sound, the same happens with Prog Metal and Metal.

Internet has shown young people that commercial radios are not the only source of music and not everything that the DJ's say is true.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 22:01
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I think Rock is in a crisis, rock icons are older each day, because there are no new real artists, only singers that appear and vanish after one album.

Slowly people is searching for older material, just look at the ages of this Forum members, teens listening Yes, Genesis, ELP, never happened this since the early 70's.

Bands as Radiohead (Not Prog ) or Coldplay, even if we don't like them aretrying to rescue older sound, the same happens with Prog Metal and Metal.

Internet has shown young people that commercial radios are not the only source of music and not everything that the DJ's say is true.

Iván

Very well said.

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 23:12
Its hard to say there always was vapid and mindless rock, there allways will be, but for a little while it looked like there was no end to commercialized crap 90's rock. But i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and i think its for the better.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 23:17

Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

Its hard to say there always was vapid and mindless rock, there allways will be, but for a little while it looked like there was no end to commercialized crap 90's rock. But i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and i think its for the better.

Or maybe it's a train coming towards you? I honestly think that there will be a brief revival of the music we discuss here, but it won't be to the likes of the Punk revolution or Emo. But as there will always be crappy groups releasing crappy songs.

Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 23:41

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

So, what do you think?

I think that people's attitudes about rock are changing. I think they're changing slowly, but they're changing nonetheless. The fact that a group like the Mars Volta is the cover feature of Rolling Stone magazine certainly says something. I know that many of my friends are reaching into the past to dig up good music, and have tired of a lot of what is out there today.

Yes but Mars Volta doesn't like to be labelled prog so who cares if they're on Rolling Stone? They probably didn't even want to be.

In the end it will be the underground movements, like always, that will determine what's popular next week.

Gaston

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 23:45
I was actually going to comment on the emo trend... and i think you're right, emo is in its prime, but hopefully its punk's swan song. I can only hope! emo culture is just so... lame, basically. and coming from a proggie, thats really saying something. 
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 23:45
Originally posted by Gaston Gaston wrote:

So, what do you think?

Yes but Mars Volta doesn't like to be labelled prog so who cares if they're on Rolling Stone? They probably didn't even want to be.

In the end it will be the underground movements, like always, that will determine what's popular next week.

Gaston

Jethro Tull and King Crimson didn't label themselves prog either!
Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 23:50

So, what do you think?

Gaston

Ya but Rolling Stone wasn't a mainstream joke back then.

Gaston

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 00:28

So, what do you think?

Gaston

Ya but Rolling Stone wasn't a mainstream joke back then.

Gaston

can't argue with you there
Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 00:32
It's really hard to tell what the future of rock will be. The whole music industry and the music it supplies is controlled by major monopolies, and is thus controlled by those mogul-heads and DJs (as its always been.) It is true that in the end it is the people who will decide what will be noticed and allow certain artists to make their mark on the label of Rock, which will then influence would-be rock stars to come. Though all of this seems to circulate around hype; even more so now with the major monopolies controlling the billboard charts and what gets more media attention. It is only now that the major music corporations and media see that the current rock has become saturated with utter crap and look to the underground and see those few bands who are making something different and is appealing to the people. Although even in the underground, the end result of your success is hype and how many people you will be able to reach.

It has always been this way. One person or even a group of people can say THIS is good music and has more merit over another genre of music because its all really a level of perception.

But on to the topic of the future of rock. The current trend would be angst ridden emotional chaotic music for the most part in popular rock music. I think in time music will evolve from this; to what I don't know. This all really depends on what youth want to be represented by. For the most part, most of us youth just buy into the corporate machine but eventually there will be a group of us who are focussed on a single band with a message and stick to it like a religion, this'll gain attention and put its mark on rock.

I have to admit that these days some of us younger people are looking back to the older music for inspiration, this may influence a new trend in music, that I think will divert away from the de-evolving trend of music that Punk did in the late 70s. Although like any young person, they don't want to be associated with their parents. This would possibly be the exact reason why the Mars Volta don't want to be considered prog or just because they don't want a label (they're artistes .) The new rock music will be called something else and will be indentified as something else, so I wouldn't dream about it proggers, there will be no prog revival. Nonetheless, I don't anticipated many more bands like Mars Volta appearing; however, with the recent trend of british bands entering the north american markets with their 60s psychedelic pop and 80s new wave influences, this could renew more talented-like musicianship in mainstream rock music.

Being a musician myself and young, I hope my band can someday make our mark on rock music; my main influences being from prog.

arkitek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 03:45
i hope that we get music like the 70's because i love that type of rock and sadly i wern't around to see it
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 13:33

Originally posted by arkitek arkitek wrote:

i hope that we get music like the 70's because i love that type of rock and sadly i wern't around to see it

Personally Im hoping for something new and diverse, but hey mybe im nuts.

LizardMan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 14:44

The problem is that people are starting to accept it, learning to like it! This only makes it last longer...

Ivan's right tho, after all I'm 15.

Greg

Edited by LizardMan
"Life itself is perfect, its people is just what sucks!"
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 14:55
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

We better pray for better days.

Amen...

arkitek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 04:59
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

Originally posted by arkitek arkitek wrote:

Personally Im hoping for something new and diverse, but hey mybe im nuts.

ye tha twould be good but the way techonology is going instruments will be out the window it will be all techno and computerised crap!

Edited by arkitek
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 18:50

More and more people are starting to get intrested at in Pink Floyd, especially teenagers. It is possible that music may cange there mind about todays, but it will take a while.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>