Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSabbath vs Zeppelin (REAL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: who's the better band/guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [26.83%]
50 [60.98%]
7 [8.54%]
3 [3.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sabbath vs Zeppelin (REAL)
    Posted: October 03 2007 at 19:38
I was having a rather heated discussion with one of my friends in which it was said, with hearty use of caps lock and exclamation point,  that jimmy page was garbage, the same with zeppelin.  i then found myself defending one of the bands closest to my heart with zealous  and righteous rage. he later changed his opinions to a less harsh view of the Zep but continued to voice the supremacy of Black sabbath and tony iommi. he also said that zeppelin is one of the all time greats but page was definatley not one of the best guitarists, and that Iommi was better, "The Godfather" i believe he called him. Opinions? Zeppelin or Sabbath?  Iommi or Page? more influential?  Please elaborate too i would like to hear  more than just the fan boy yelling we were doing.  Oh and this is strictly out of the field of prog, has absolutley nothing to do with  how progressive each band is,  although if you value that then let it show in who you vote for. thanks!

Mike
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 19:45
Zeppelin is one of my all time favorites...and favorite classic rock band. I love Jimmy Page but he is not very good live and recieves a lot of critiscism for it. I think it was all drugs anyway.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 19:48
as a session/studio man before Zeppelin, Page was highly regarded and seen as technically advanced (not unlike Jeff Beck) and in their time, the first two Zep records had a high-tech quality unheard in rock at that point, not even from Hendrix.  As time went on, Page's skills suffered a bit and others sailed past him, including Iommi.  Who was more influential?  Very hard to say..

Teh_Slippermenz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 20:00
Sorry, I'm a Sabbath fan. Iommi has inspired COUNTLESS heavy metal guitarists. Page is a good guitarist as well however. (But he used a....VIOLIN BOW??? Confused I mean, I admire him for thinking up something weird like that...but you just don't play guitars with bows. Stern%20Smile) Led Zeppelin has a couple of good songs, but I believe that Robert Plant's stage presence is appalling. And when I saw "The Song Remains the Same", and they performed that....I could tell that it lived up to its name. Stern%20Smile Then again, they were all stoned to Oz. But so was Sabbath. However, Black Sabbath could maintain an actual song, melody, etc. etc. etc. Whereas with Led Zeppelin, sometimes it felt like they were improvisations. And the meaning of Black Sabbath's lyrics are easy to figure out, sometimes they're just plain right there in your face.

That's all my opinion, though.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 20:19
Both bands and guitarists are great for their own reasons.  Neither is "better" than the other.  Pagey's talent's in the studio were exceptional though.  

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 20:26
sorry i dont like reposting in my own topic because my opinions already been voiced, but I couldnt help myself.  "Zeppelin has a couple good songs"?  Taste come into play but just listening to the radio on a zeppelin vs. sabbath base zeppelin clearly is the more played band. They without a doubt had more than a couple good songs, i dont think that can even be argued as a point. im not saying that radio play = good music, that doesnt work as an argument either particularly on a site such as this. But the variety of songs played, the countless singles and classics that emerged from this band nullify your statement. Hell the an entire CD of theirs gets played frequently (IV), every single song. I also dislike the idea of live performances influencing this poll, although the whole package of "musician" entails live shows and performing well. But  A band can put on a great show and still put out some sub-par music. in fact i enjoy going to these shows at times (some heavy metal acts are fun but worthless in terms of musical ability). but some of the most talented and influential/groundbreaking bands i would be less than excited to see live, bands like GY!BE for example.

Edited by keiser willhelm - October 03 2007 at 20:33
P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 21:15
Black Sabbath for me! Wink

MonkeyphoneAlex View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 21:35
Not a HUGE fan of either, but I like Zeppelin
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 21:35
Influence wise they're probably the 2 bands with the most wannabe clones (aside from the Beatles). Black Sabbath basically CREATED heavy metal, with every single metal band being familiar of Black Sabbath's influence.

Led Zeppelin had this extra kick to them that no other band at the time had. Comparing songs like Paranoid with songs like Rock and Roll, there's definitely a similarity. But how many songs does Sabbath have that match the intensity of, say, Kashmir? How many "Four Sticks" songs do Sabbath have? BS's songs were definitely awesome, but for me, Zeppelin is the more versatile band.

Now to tackle the bigger issue of the guitarists and masterminds behind both bands. Jimmy Page's talents as a studio guitar player are unmatched. He knew how to place amps exactly to achieve a certain sound, was a master of resonation and reverb, and that's not even considering his playing style. He fused blues with a folky style that no other guitarist had at the time, and his songs (and the solos he put in them) were incredible. Look at "Fool in the Rain" and "Hot Dog", and those are from their last album!

Tony Iommi definitely has his credentials. Not only was he the first guy to really downtune and get that insane low metal sound, but as Dave Mustaine put it, every single riff you hear in metal nowadays was something written by Iommi that was played faster, slower, more transposed, backwards, upside down, or with minute differences. He is, if you will, the god of the riff.

The music is so different between the 2 bands it's hard to say who is better. Zeppelin's songs were more melodic and had more development, but Sabbath's songs were the first truly riff-based songs which inspired a musical form that is still in huge swing today. I'm going to vote for Jimmy Page, however, because Zeppelin's few riff-based songs rank up there with the best of Sabbath's, but Zeppelin had more range and versatility. But damn, is it a close win. 2 of my favorite bands right here; I wouldn't have been able to even make this marathon post if I wasn't such a fan of both bands.
proglil49 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 21:53
Zeppelin and Page for me
I want to be an astronaut
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 22:29
Apples and/but oranges
raindance2007 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 23:20
Sabbath had cooler sounding music Wink
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 00:36
I've only really got into Sabbath recently, I'm amazed how creative they were, really diverse fascinating music. Led Zep are great. I think they're both just as good in their own way.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 00:57
Zeppelin is probably the better band, but Page and Plant seemed like such jerks back then, especially Plant. I think Sabbath's riffs stick with you longer and they had that swing feel that rock bands used to have long ago.

Edited by Easy Money - October 04 2007 at 01:01
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 01:55
Seriously?????

Every band member in Led Zeppelin blows away their counterparts in Black Sabbath on their respective instruments.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 02:28
As Tapfret said, another apples/oranges question. Jody is right to say that there is no comparison between the two bands in technical terms - however, great music, as we all know, isn't only about technical proficiency. They are both among the greatest of the great, and the most influential bands ever. Same goes for Deep Purple, who are often brought into the equation. I love them both (or I should say the three of them, including DP), and never ask myself which one is 'best'. In my very humble opinion, there is really no answer.
Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 02:28
First of all your friend is ignorant.

BS and LZ, Iommi and Page both RULE respectfully. 
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 02:29
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Seriously?????

Every band member in Led Zeppelin blows away their counterparts in Black Sabbath on their respective instruments.
Well, I play all of the respective instrumentsbetter than Black sabbath. Certainly doesn't make my music better. Where Zep is concerned, I have also stolen less music from the front porches of Mississippi and Louisiana.

Edited by Tapfret - October 04 2007 at 02:29
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 02:36

I enjoy Black Sabbath to a greater extent, even if they are "inferior" musicians compared to LZ.

sig
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 02:39
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Seriously?????

Well, I play all of the respective instrumentsbetter than Black sabbath. Certainly doesn't make my music better. Where Zep is concerned, I have also stolen less music from the front porches of Mississippi and Louisiana.

Well,that's your opinion.Zep started out as a heavy,very blues influenced band,but the music they created later on in their career was on a whole other level than Sabbath's.

Just my opinion of course.I am a metal freak and love the Sabs,but Zeppelin is my favorite band ever and when comparing these two Zep trumps Sabbath in just about everything.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>