Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSabbath vs Zeppelin (REAL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: who's the better band/guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [26.83%]
50 [60.98%]
7 [8.54%]
3 [3.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 03:18
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Seriously?????

Every band member in Led Zeppelin blows away their counterparts in Black Sabbath on their respective instruments.
Well, I play all of the respective instrumentsbetter than Black sabbath. Certainly doesn't make my music better. Where Zep is concerned, I have also stolen less music from the front porches of Mississippi and Louisiana.

Well,that's your opinion.Zep started out as a heavy,very blues influenced band,but the music they created later on in their career was on a whole other level than Sabbath's.

Just my opinion of course.I am a metal freak and love the Sabs,but Zeppelin is my favorite band ever and when comparing these two Zep trumps Sabbath in just about everything.

Sure, I have no problem with that. I was merely pointing out that the original criteria, while a key ingredient, rarely stands on its own.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 06:51
I voted for Black Sabbath and Tony Iommi, love both bands and guitarist but if i have to shoose i shoose Sabbath heavyer and beter riffs imo.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 07:02
I haven't voted, I don't think one band is better than the other, or that one guitarist is better than the other.

I will stick my neck out and say that Bill Ward was a better drummer than John Bonham. Wink 
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 07:25
I'm not voting either way. Chalk and cheese as far as I'm concerned.

Just let them bask in the glory of being two thirds of the British heavy rock "holy trilogy" of bands, with Deep Purple being the third!
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 08:32
Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 23:59
BLACK SABBATH better band, the Page guy better guitar
Teh_Slippermenz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 01:40
I've never heard Zeppelin on the radio. Sabbath I've heard, but not Zeppelin.

And my opinion still stands that Zeppelin only has a couple of good songs, I'm afraid. (In particular I single out "No Quarter")
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 02:54
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

I haven't voted, I don't think one band is better than the other, or that one guitarist is better than the other.

I will stick my neck out and say that Bill Ward was a better drummer than John Bonham. Wink 

oooo that is a risk

for me Zeppelin have always remained a high standard,sabbath started great then ....Dio.You know the rest
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 03:00
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

oooo that is a risk

a big one.. but I love Sabbath almost as much as Zep, so I won't say anything  Tongue

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 03:55

oooo that is a risk

for me Zeppelin have always remained a high standard,sabbath started great then ....Dio.You know the rest

Zeppelin maintained their high standard by not releasing anything new for nearly 30 years! Wink 
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 08:55

Zep for me. Page may have been sloppy Live at times but what he is playing is more complex than anything Iommi has ever done. Love Iommi's style and sound though.

Time Signature View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 08:56

I'll go with Sabbath. You gotta admire a guy who can play rock 'n' roll guitar like that with two missing finger tips.

This user has left the PA fora, but will occasionally post reviews so as to support artists.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I'll go with Sabbath. You gotta admire a guy who can play rock 'n' roll guitar like that with two missing finger tips.

...and then went home from work (where he had cut them off accidentally in a lathe) and superglued caps off washing-up liquid bottles to the fingertips as a replacement.

Tony Iommi used to live near me in the 70s. Drove a brown Range Rover.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 16:10

oooo that is a risk

I not only count Heaven and Hell as one of Sabbath's best albums,but one of the best metal albums ever.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 16:13

oooo that is a risk

I not only count Heaven and Hell as one of Sabbath's best albums,but one of the best metal albums ever.

I'll go even further than that... "Heaven and Hell" is one of my top 10 favourite albums of all time, period.
Snipergoat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 17:08
I prefer Led Zep as a band, but Iommi is one of my favourite guitarists.
raindance2007 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 17:53
Lets compare albums.

1968-zep 1(pretty good)
zep wins
1969-zep 2(good, but very overrated and outdated)
zep wins
1970-Zep 3(very good), Black sabbath(good), Paranoid(very good)
sabbath wins :)
1971-Zep 4(good, but very commercial and overrated), Master of reality(very good)
sabbath wins ;)
1972-Vol. 4(pretty good)
sabbath wins ;)
1973-Houses of the holy(very good), Sabbath bloody sabbath(very good)
draw
1975-Physical graffiti(some strong songs, but alot of repetitive songs, fairly good), Sabotage(fairly good, but overrated)
draw
1976-Prescence(fairly good), Never say die(average)
zep wins
1978-Technical ecstasy(average)
sabbath wins
1979-In through the out door(good)
zep wins
1980-Coda(fairly good), Heavan and hell(very good)
sabbath wins
1981-Mob rules(very good)
sabbath wins ;)

To me Sabbath had cooler heavy music and a better vocalist , guitarist and bass player. Zeps had some very good heavy songs, but a few outdated sounding heavy songs too. They were just a bit Rock n roll and blues influenced and they get a bit dated and boring. But zeps had cool acoustic. But Plant had a pretty average voice imo and although Bonham was a better drummer, I much pretty jazzy style drumming than heavy hitting rock beats. I can barely listen to zep 2 and zep 4 today either. Wink

Edited by raindance2007 - October 05 2007 at 17:56
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 18:05
How about we actually compare bands with similar sound? Black Sabbath vs Pentagram/Saint Vitus/Witchfinder General would be a more appropriate comparison, from my point of view.
sig
efoman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 00:38
I was in a rock band in the 80's and we did some Black Sabbath cover tunes because they were the easiest to play. My opinion was always this:
Led Zeppelin was the best hard rock group of their day.
Balck Sabbath was musically inferior but caught on because they had the gall to outwardly embrace the dark side, flirting with Satanic imagery and such.

I never thought Tony Iommi was any good at all. He wasn't as talented as alot of guitarists and he had no personality. I thought, and still think, that Ozzy Osbourne is just a flipping drugged out idiot who was lucky to find a niche. His singing sucks, his lyrics are juvenile. I think, rather than great innovators who spawned a genre, Black Sabbath was just a mediocre band full of dark depressive guys. The sound spun off the fact that they couldn't play their instruments any better. Does someone want to tell me that "Paranoid" shows good musicianship? I've heard middle school kids who could play better.

I'm sorry. I think Black Sabbath sucks, and am shocked that they get the credit they get. I saw where some of Zeppelin's stuff was considered outdated, whereas Sabbath's wasn't. I attribute that to the fact that the world is a darker and angrier place than it was in the early 70's, and the mood of the public has melded more with Sabbath's gloomy sound.
Aside from the music, I think someone deciding to name their band Black Sabbath, and fly in the face of religious morals is stupid, and the people who do it are stupid. If there is a God, and I believe there is, you're offending the one who has your eternal fate in His hands just to make a few extra bucks. If you don't believe in God, you're still taking that chance.
And I in no way am condoning Jimmy Page's infatuation with Aleister Crowley by choosing them over Sabbath. That was the beginning of the end for them, as people close to them began to fall like flies in very mysterious circumstances. That should be something of a lesson.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 07:41
i do love them equally easily both my favourite bands but each indivual member from zeppelin are amazing muscians if you need some reassurance with page and plant check Page and Plant Unplugged.To be honest though i only love Ozzy era Sabbath though ,i dont think much of Ozzys vocals at all.I think the thing with comparing them .Zeppelin covered every music aspect where Sabbath were a hard rock group and the reason theres such a debate is musicaly Sabbath dont have much on Zeppelin but their music has remained consistent.

p.s and metal fans dont like anything that isnt metal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>