1 [8.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiles
    Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:49
TILES will be releasing a new album soon called Fly Paper (early 2008) and I thought it's a good opportunity to be reminded of their past achievements.

What do you think of their music? Which albums are their most memorable and recommended? What do you like about their sound?

Accessible and yet interesting enough in their song arrangements to keep me hooked, with well crafted songs and melodies.
I'd say Presents Of Mind  is my prefered one so far.

http://www.tiles-music.com/

Here's their bio from their website:

TILES is a progressive hard rock band from Detroit, MI featuring Mark Evans (drums), Chris Herin (guitar), Paul Rarick (vocals), and Jeff Whittle (bass). Signed to Inside Out Music in North America and Europe, TILES was formed in February 1993. The past twelve years have seen the band develop and refine a sound that blends experimental progressive rock overtones with an aggressive hard rock edge. Mixed with lyrics of an "observational" or "human experience" quality, TILES continues to cultivate a sound that rewards more than just passive listening. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull calls TILES "…undoubtedly one of the brighter hopes for the musical millennium!"

TILES released their fourth CD
Window Dressing in the summer of 2004. Produced, engineered, and mixed by Terry Brown (Rush, Cutting Crew, Fates Warning), “Window Dressing” received excellent reviews worldwide and was nominated for a 2005 Detroit Music Award. The CD features the design and artwork of award winning artist Hugh Syme (Aerosmith, Rush, Megadeth), and features several special guests: Kim Mitchell (Max Webster), guitar; Matthew Parmenter (Discipline), violin; and Hugh Syme, keyboards. “WindowDressing” was issued with a bonus “live bootleg” CD from the band’s 1999 European tour with Dream Theater.

TILES released their third CD
Presents of Mind worldwide in the summer of 1999. Bolstered by positive reviews, airplay, and strong word-of-mouth, "Presents of Mind" became the band’s best-selling CD to date and generated an invitation from Dream Theater to open their November 1999 European tour. Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy offered his endorsement: ‘I love this CD! The entire disc is full of great musicianship and great songwriting with catchy hooks.’

TILES first reached the international music scene in the summer of 1995 when Polydor released
tiles throughout Europe on the Dream Circle Records label. Sales were strong with the help of excellent reviews from Aardschok in the Netherlands (91/100), SCREAM in Norway (6/6), Rock Hard in Germany (8/10), and others. On the opposite side of the world, Teichiku Records revised the artwork and released the disc in Japan. Burrn! Magazine rated "tiles" an 88/100 saying "...(tiles is) a wonderful album with a very high level of technique and a great melodic sense." The CD entered the Burrn! chart at #47.

TILES released their second CD,
Fence the Clear, in the spring of 1997 and overseas in Europe and Japan in the fall of 1997. The disc was again well received by fans and reviews were positive with "Fence the Clear" scoring 94/100 in Aardschok, 5/6 in SCREAM, earning HM Magazine's "Pick of the Litter" award, and the Detroit Free Press naming TILES "Detroit's leading progressive rock band." The band’s first three CDs have been re-mastered with bonus tracks, expanded packaging, and reissued as part of InsideOut’s Special Edition series in March 2004.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 00:02
I enjoyed "Fence The Clear" a lot,but "Presents Of Mind" topped it. I had a hard time getting into "Window Dressing" though. I actually just got their debut and hope to listen to it soon. A definite RUSH vibe happening here instrumentally.The singer is great as well.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 00:05
This band gets no credit. They are a GREAT band and I can't wait for this album! AWESOME NEWS!

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 00:13

Ever the odd man out, I had to pick Fence the Clear.  I love both of the CDs I've heard from this band, Fence and Presents of Mind, but Fence slightly edges it out for great tracks like "Cactus Valley" "Checkerboards" and "Wading Pool".  I have Window Dressing, but have yet to listen...so much prog...so little time.  Looking forward to Fly Paper.  If it is anything like the 2 I've heard so far, should be a great album.

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 00:20
though a very good album, I was a bit disappointed with some tracks on the debut..

Edited by Atavachron - October 10 2007 at 00:20
Prog-man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 00:37

Arriving somewhere but not here
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 03:21
unusually, I am voting with the majority on this one.... Presents Of Mind is tops, Fence The Clear 2nd... I also had trouble with Window Dressing, but its not a bad album....
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 04:26
Presents Of Mind for me

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 07:23
I've only heard Window Dressing, which is a poor album IMO, but the songs on the live bootleg that came with it were great, so I think I'm going to have to delve in to Presence of Mind and Fence the Clear.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 10:39
They have great ability ... however I can't say I like the singers voice that much , apart from this small detail I play them now and again and i'll check out the new CD when it comes 
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 13:16
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

They have great ability ... however I can't say I like the singers voice that much , apart from this small detail I play them now and again and i'll check out the new CD when it comes 

I have only heard the song "Capture the flag" , the singers voice seems to lack power or something, but the music was good.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:39
I think Chris Herin writes some decent songs and Jeff Whittle is a great bass player and a hell of nice guy.  I think of the two drummers Pat DeLeon smokes big time and Mark is just ok.  The singer thoughDead
The general consensus among several of us at Calprog 2005 was this band would be much better without the singer.  If you get the official bootleg from Calprog 2005 you will hear why.

I own two of the studio Presents of Minds and Fence the Clear and I like Fence the Clear much better.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 22:37
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I think Chris Herin writes some decent songs and Jeff Whittle is a great bass player and a hell of nice guy.  I think of the two drummers Pat DeLeon smokes big time and Mark is just ok.  The singer thoughDead
The general consensus among several of us at Calprog 2005 was this band would be much better without the singer.  If you get the official bootleg from Calprog 2005 you will hear why.

I agree about that Brian, I think their music could benefit from a different vocalist.

MatthewM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 18:57
Oh no, don't change the vocalist. I haven't heard of Tiles until very recently with the song Back and Forth on Fly Paper. I hear the Rush influence, but I think their might be some Styx influence with the vocalist.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 21:28
I heard their latest Fly Paper (received it as a promo for review). I must say, I'm disappointed with it. I'll post the review later this week.

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 14:12
Great band very underrated in my opinion, with some very good albums, at lest two are super, Fence the clear and Present of mind. My vote goes to the Present of mind, fine musicianship, a modern Rush, but not a copy. Anyway they needs more attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply