This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tipographica
    Posted: October 10 2007 at 21:48
TIPOGRAPHICA

I need an advice about - I have God Says I Can't Dance and Tipographica and like them both, but should I get the other two albums as well? Are they worth seeking?

Now to another thing:
What do you think of the band, their sound, how they fit among the Japavant bands?
 Would you recommend this band to someone who wants to start listening to avant-rock or to someone who's already been at it for some time? If so, which album would be your pick?

Just to start a discussion going on...

PA bio:
Of all the new bands that have emerged from Japan's bourgeoning underground progressive scene TIPOGRAPHICA have got to be right at the top along with HAPPY FAMILY. They are definitely in the RIO vein with noticeable shades of early HENRY COW, PICCHIO DAL POZZO and HARTFIELD & THE NORTH, (free) jazz and instrumental/classical ZAPPA ("Hot Rats", "Waka Jawaka", "The Grand Wazoo", "Studio Tan", etc.). All of the musicians are nimble, adept, and have extremely proficient control over their instruments. Blazing guitar, honking sax - super tight arrangements - brilliant muscianship. If you love mid-70's Frank ZAPPA this band will blow your mind.

TIPOGRAPHICA existed from 1986 until 1998 and who released four albums in the 90s. They play completely instrumental music, basically a rhythmically complex type of jazz-rock. If you like melodic symphonic rock or neo-prog, you probably won't like their music. RIO freaks, jazz or jazz-rock lovers, and fans of ZAPPA or complex music in general definitely should try one of their albums. Any of their four albums is a good place to start. Well, if you like exploring the progressive music, sooner or later you'll have to meet them and acquire their Canterbury inspired New Music. ESSENTIAL!!!

Edited by avestin - October 13 2007 at 13:20
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 22:35
I can recommend this group if you like all these groups: Henry Cow, Frank Zappa, Etron Fou Leloubran, Soft Machine, Mats/Morgan.
The Man Who Does Not Nod. This is the most favorite album.

But once many critics said 4th album Floating Opera was too complex when it was released. When you purchase this album, you had better remember this opinion. It is apparently more complex music for me than first 3 albums.

Maybe 1st or 2nd is good for newbies to start Tipographica. I started with 1st album.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 01:47
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

What do you think of the band, their sound, how they fit among the Japavant bands?
 Would you recommend this band to someone who wants to start listening to avant-rock or to someone who's already been at it for some time?

Me being me, I find enjoyment in this band, maybe not as much are many of the harsher Japanese avant-prog bands. But still one people should check out, actually thinking about it, more people here would probably enjoy this facet of the Japanese scene. I find their sound the somewhere been RIO and Canterbury, bringing in strong Jazzy influences, look above at the bands 'honganji' has sited as similarities. I personally would be quite happy to recommend this to someone newer, certainly a more digestible group than some.

Funnily enough I don't actually own any of their albums, they are not readily available in Australia. But from what I have hear and second hand opinions, I don't really think you can tread wrong with any of their releases!
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 16:17
Just a notification: you might have a dead link there Avestin. Unless it's just me.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 13:20
Originally posted by Hirgwath Hirgwath wrote:

Just a notification: you might have a dead link there Avestin. Unless it's just me.

Thanks!

Any other takers for this band?

Next I'll try The Man Who Does Not Nod.

Post Reply Post Reply