Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAfenginn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afenginn
    Posted: October 10 2007 at 23:17
AFENGINN
http://www.afenginn.dk/
http://myspace.com/afenginn

This Danish band presents an entertaining blend of avant-rock, kleyzmer, other folk and what not... Creative, somewhat crazy, their a thrill to listen to.

Here's their PA bio:

AFENGINN are an adventurous Danish avant-garde klezmer band who formed in 2002. The name itself means “intoxication and strength” in Old Norse. They have a strong punk, Nordic folk and world music influence and since the release of “Akrobakkus”, have taken on jazz influences as well. The group are categorised by the musical press as a “'b*****d-ethno' band with Norse melancholy and cheerful madness" and they are not far off with this definition. AFENGINN feature a drummer/percussionist and a bass player but adopt the more common klezmer band instruments of clarinet, violin, mandolin and mandola. The strong bass rhythm on many of the compositions adds a more rock-oriented feel to the music and their unorthodox approach and time signatures make them appealing to not only progressive music fans, but also those who enjoy jazz and (ethnic and gypsy) folk music.

The main collaborator for AFENGINN is Finnish mandolin and mandola player Kim Nyberg, a student of Musicology at the University of Copenhagen, who brings in that Finnish feel to Afenginn's music. He is ably assisted by Rasmus Krøyer on clarinet (also studying Musicology at the University of Copenhagen, but also previously a student of Lee Morgan of the Royal Danish Orchestra), Niels Skovmand on violin (educated at The Royal Danish Academy of Music), Rune Kofoed on drums/percussion and Aske Jacoby on bass. They are influenced by such acts as KAIZERS ORCHESTRA, ALAMAAILMAN VASARAT, TOM WAITS, TIGER LILLIES and GOGOL BORDELLO and have performed alongside Frank London from the KLEZMATICS.

They released their debut album “Retrograd” (featuring many guest musicians) in 2004 to critical acclaim from the press, receiving many nominations and several awards including “Best World Album” at the 2005 Danish World Music Awards.

In 2006, they released their second album “Akrobakkus” which again proved to be a critical success, reaching the World Music charts in Europe in February 2007. Musically, it continues on from where “Retrograd” left off, with their usual stylistics and good humour. However, during the release party for “Akrobakkus”, Andrzej Krejniuk (the original Polish-born bass player) decided to leave the band and a secret vote was taken to choose his replacement. Aske Jacoby was chosen as his successor and their sound has now taken on a more jazz-tinged direction.

Accompanying their music, the band have also commissioned several artistic and live concert videos which can be found on their website and the “Retrograd” CD.

AFENGINN have toured Denmark as well as other European countries, such as Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Faeroe Islands, Switzerland and Germany, and have also played in the U.S.

If you enjoy klezmer and gypsy/ethnic music with a twist and good humour and enjoy such bands as ALAMAAILMAN VASARAT, FRANK ZAPPA (his klezmer years) and JOHN ZORN (MASADA), then AFENGINN should appeal to you.

: : : Biography written by James R. Yeowell : : :

Here's the text of the press release from their website:

Afenginn biography

Afenginn means intoxication and strength. With high tempo, great joy and border seeking musical ideas Afenginn has build up a reputation of virtuosity and excellent live shows the past years. Performing with artists such as Frank London from the Klezmatics and doing performances with symphony orchestra, Afenginn is still ambitious to new serious adventures. Since the forming in 2002 their brand has been originality – the music grows out of the roots of world, punk and Nordic folk music and travels from the smallest pianissimo to wild and roaring parts.

Afenginn's homebrewed and unique style has been categorized as b*****d-ethno, with a sigh of Nordic melancholy and a twist of cheerful madness. We are in a twilight zone, where also Tom Waits, Gogol Bordello, Tiger Lillies and Kaizers Orchestra can be found.

”They've developed into a world class eccentric group, even though there's little of Denmark in their sound. Take them for what they are, which is wonderful, and enjoy. Pure madness.”

Sing Out!, review of Akrobakkus

”They're shockingly good, with imaginations and technique that won't quit. If there's justice, they'll be huge.”

fRoots, review of Retrograd

The two albums Akrobakkus (2006) and Retrograd (2004) have both got very good reviews in the press and have received several awards and nominations at the Danish Music Awards. Retrograd was chosen “Best World Album” in 2005 at the Danish World Music Awards, and Akrobakkus got nominated in several categories at the Folk and World Awards. Moreover, Akrobakkus has reached the World Music charts Europe in February 2007.

The orchestra plays exclusively own compositions and has performed in clubs, festivals and Radio and Television shows in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, the Faeroe Islands, Germany, Belgium, Estonia, Switzerland and USA with more than 200 concerts in the past years.

“For one times sake I have to take off my hat!...and the rest of the clothes as well.” Live review by Peter Fritzen in Kultunaut, November 2004.

Line-up:

Rasmus Krøyer - clarinets

Niels Skovmand - violin

Kim Nyberg - mandolin, mandocello

Aske Jacoby - bass

Rune Kofoed - drums, percussion

To discover....

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 00:18
Great band! ClapCoolThumbs%20Up

I bought Retrograd a bit ago, and it is one of the better albums that I've bought recently. Love their take on folk/worldrock music. Honestly when I first bought the album I thought it would be more of AV like, but other than the european-folk and restrained madness, it really devlopes into its own world. Definitely original and highly recommended.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 20:23
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Great band! ClapCoolThumbs%20Up

I bought Retrograd a bit ago, and it is one of the better albums that I've bought recently. Love their take on folk/worldrock music. Honestly when I first bought the album I thought it would be more of AV like, but other than the european-folk and restrained madness, it really devlopes into its own world. Definitely original and highly recommended.

Yep, I like it very much as well.

Are you getting their other album as well?

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 00:19
Hopefully.

It's currently on my gotta hunt down list.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 19:41
All right! I suggested this band months ago - glad to see they're here. I own both albums and they are both great!
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 17:30
Got their debut a few days ago (while in Denmark actually), and Im not disappointed. I enjoyed it a lot, though it wouldn't mind me if it was a bit more avant-garde!

I'll track down their 2nd album as well.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 20:27
The second release is a tad more Avant-garde and the hidden track is a surprise.

Hmm, does anyone know that guy who wrote the P.A. biography?  He's not bad, in my opinion. LOL

I'm glad you like it, Blowie.  I discovered the band via CDBaby, when they were recommended to me because I was buying Katzen Kapell's debut.  I also bought all three Invert albums.  Another great chamber band, but not suitable for here, I don't believe.  They're a slightly different band to Kronos Quartet.  Worth checking out.

Also check out the videos supplied on the debut album album "Retrograd", they're excellent.

Edited by James - March 20 2008 at 20:31
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 21:45
So I have to say that I find their latest album to be much better and focused than their two previous ones.
What do others think?

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 22:44
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

So I have to say that I find their latest album to be much better and focused than their two previous ones.
What do others think?

I'm still trying to find it. Embarrassed

I tired ordering it from amazon but apparently it was backordered (which it didn't say at the time I placed the order) and after about 4 months it seemed like it wasn;t going to happen.

But the samples sound amazing. Love the chioresque vocals.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:54
very cool band with interestiing music, i like their kind of gypsy style, their folkish moments. Only know Retrograd but i am interested in the other albums

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply