FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg moments in ClassicRock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog moments in ClassicRock
    Posted: October 12 2007 at 23:54
There are a lot of Classic Rock bands that have one or two songs that fit into the progressive category. To name a few; Boston- Long Time/ Foreplay, The Band -Chest Fever and Foreigner- Star Rider.

I'm sure Cream has a few too, but I'd like to see what others come up with.Also to be discussed is other prog influences in other musical genres and why most bads stopped drawing influence from progressive styles.We can agree most characteristics of prog dont go to well with radio or the general public, however there's got to be more reasons, i.e- to hard or complex for all members of a certain band to play.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 00:09
the Stones got rather proggy on several records ('Their Satanic..'), and the Police have some good prog moments, 'Spirits in the Material World', 'Synchronicity'.. and Van Halen's 'Pleasure Dome' from the For unlawful album is great

Edited by Atavachron - October 13 2007 at 00:10
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 00:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

and Van Halen's 'Pleasure Dome' from the For unlawful album is great

I tried to tell someone that exact same thing and they said Van Halen's synth work in Jump was so crappy that it negates Pleasure Dome and Van Halen from being associated with prog rock.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:04
Led Zeppelin's mid-late period.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:05
Houses of the Holy to be more exact.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:11
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

and Van Halen's 'Pleasure Dome' from the For unlawful album is great

I tried to tell someone that exact same thing and they said Van Halen's synth work in Jump was so crappy that it negates Pleasure Dome and Van Halen from being associated with prog rock.

sounds like selective ignorance to me

jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:28
I'm tempted to name a bunch of Zeppelin tunes, but calling them "classic rock" is maybe an understatement being that progressive rock was such a large part of their sound.

So I'll go with Grand Funk Railroad:  I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home (not sure if that's the correct name) strikes me as "proggy", and then of course Alice Cooper: been pounding away on Alice as of late...but I'll do it again - Unfinished Sweet is a great prog rock track, plus Hello Hurray, etc.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 03:33
The class ic rock band that screams prog to me is Toto. Listen to their live album and it's far more proggy than, shall we say, Black Sabbath could ever be.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 03:43
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

So I'll go with Grand Funk Railroad:  I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home (not sure if that's the correct name) strikes me as "proggy", and then of course Alice Cooper: been pounding away on Alice as of late...but I'll do it again - Unfinished Sweet is a great prog rock track, plus Hello Hurray, etc.

Alice Coopers early albums all have one or two great prog tracks (to go with the stage show I guess). The first two albums are just weird (Zappa influence?). "Lay down and Die, Goodbye" is an excellent example of weirdness.

Edited by Terra Australis - October 13 2007 at 03:45
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 04:00
and how could I forget Cat Stevens and his amazing Buddah and the Chocolate Box and Foreigner Suite...  and check; http://www.connollyco.com/discography/cat_stevens/index.html

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 04:19
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

Alice Coopers early albums all have one or two great prog tracks (to go with the stage show I guess). The first two albums are just weird (Zappa influence?). "Lay down and Die, Goodbye" is an excellent example of weirdness.

Cool, someone remembers the early Alice Cooper. It might suprise younger folks but back in the early 70s Alice was considered by many to be border line progressive rock along with Doors, Zep etc. When he fired his original band and changed his music he rapidly became more of a joke really.

Anyway people are probably sick of me harping about Hendrix, but "1983 a Merman I Should Turn to Be" and "Burning of the Midnight Lamp", as well as others.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 13:24

I bought the first 2 Alice Cooper albums when they were repackaged as "Schooldays" n the 70s. Not quite was I was expecting - there is some weird stuff there, as well as some excellent songs e.g. Shoe Salesman, Beautiful Flyaway, Below Your Means.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 07:37
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Cool, someone remembers the early Alice Cooper. It might suprise younger folks but back in the early 70s Alice was considered by many to be border line progressive rock along with Doors, Zep etc. When he fired his original band and changed his music he rapidly became more of a joke really.

Ah many here remember Alice in his early days - for intermittent prog-credentials, you need go no further than Killer's "Halo Of Flies".

As far as becoming a joke as soon as he fired the original band is concerned, remember, the bass guitarist he used on "Welcome To My Nightmare" was none other than Tony Levin - not sure if he was in the touring band though...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 09:11
I didn't mean he became a joke right away, anyway I was being a lttle harsh, evryone has to make a living, right.
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 04:06
"Halo of Flies" is a great piece of music...

"Killer" the song is pretty good too.

Edited by Terra Australis - October 16 2007 at 04:07
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 15:31
I was also thinking about Alice Cooper's Halo of Lies. Another song I use to find a bit prog is Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding by Elton John, Dream Theater even made a cover of that one.

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 17:27
Argus
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 13:21
On the subject of Led Zeppelin, prog fans should definitely check out his album 'The Thunderthief'. It kind of picks up where 'Carouselambra' left off, and also has a definite King Crimson influence. This isn't surprising as not only was it released on the Discipline Global Mobile label, but Robert Fripp actually plays on it. I heartily recommend this album, though it's possibly a good idea to skip past the punk parody 'Angry Angry'!!

Todd Rundgren did a few albums which I think would have great appeal to open-minded prog fans. Not just the Utopia stuff, but 'A Wizard A True Star', which is an hour long trip (being the operative word) through various styles. There's heavy rock, psychedelia, soul, torch ballads and electronic experimentation. Prog fans would be satiated by 'Zen Archer', the whacked-out instrumental 'Flamingo' and 'International Feel'. The double album 'Todd' goes even further with the musical cross-breeding. 'Initiation' was a step too far for me when I last heard it, with its 36 minute synth-fest 'A Treatise On Cosmic Fire', but again, I dare say some prog fans would love it. His work on Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell' was exceptional too, IMHO- the title track has some proggy moments, IMHO.

Phil Collins' album 'Face Value' has two very nice pieces of Weather Report-style ('Black Market'/'Heavy Weather' era) jazz rock, IMHO, in 'Droned'/'Hand In Hand'. His lengthy song 'Colours' from 'But Seriously' was pretty good too, I seem to recall, culminating in a terrific drum duet between him and Chester Thompson.

Check out Budgie's album 'Never Turn Your Back On A Friend'. A classic heavy rock album with a Roger Dean cover, and the epic 'Parents' is quite proggy, IMHO.

Paul McCartney's latest album 'Memory Almost Full' has its moments. Sure, we're not talking 'Close To The Edge'-style symphonic splendour, BUT the second half of the album was intended as a conceptual piece with several interlinking songs. The dramatic 'House Of Wax' in particular is one of his best tracks ever, IMHO, and its atmosphere has a certain proggy feel to it. A few reviews I saw picked up on this. The off-kilter art pop of 'Mr Bellamy' and 'Vintage Clothes' might be of interest, too.

I'll namedrop two albums by bands generally considered 'indie', Spiritualised and Mansun. Spiritualised's 'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' and Mansun's 'Six' are very ambitious, detailed and complex albums which did very well sales-wise too. Although the bands (like Radiohead) might well say otherwise (haven't read interviews with them though) might argue otherwise, I hear strong prog/psych influences in both albums. Nowadays, far too many British indie acts seem to have no more ambition than to go from copying The Libertines to copying Gang Of Four instead, but these albums might surprise you. I think 'Ladies And Gentlemen...' might appeal to fans of 'OK Computer' and 'Six' might be of some appeal to Coheed And Cambria/Mars Volta fans, IMHO of course.

Anyone ever played Van Morrison's 'Almost Independence Day' against Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'? There is a definite similarity, and though IMHO it's perhaps an unconscious one, Van's song was a few years earlier. Van's gorgeous epic 'When Heart Is Open' from his maligned (but I think it has some of his best work ever and certainly was a heck of a lot more ambitious than most of his work over the last ten years or so) 'Common One' album reminds me very much of Miles Davis' 'In A Silent Way'. And there's a very nice New Age-style instrumental called 'Scandinavia' from his album 'Beautiful Vision'.

As for Toto, I was told that 'Hydra' was quite proggy but all I heard was a very bland, watered down Steely Dan type album. However, their latest effort 'Falling In Between' has some proggy moments, such as the twisty-turny title track and 'Hooked', which features none other than Ian Anderson on flute.

As for Elton John, I very much agree on 'Funeral For A Friend'. I would also nominate the doomy 'Sixty Years On' and maybe even 'Grey Seal', one version of which has Rick Wakeman on mellotron, I believe.

The Grateful Dead's album 'Blues For Allah' might be relevant here too. I'm not really that big a Dead fan, BUT the 2nd side of this album is quite progressive in overall sound, IMHO. There's a very nice jazzy instrumental called 'King Solomon's Marbles' on the first side, too.
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 16:42
Foreplay - BOSTON
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 16:59

The Who - Tommy, Who´s Next, Quadrophenia, TOMMY the movie soundtrack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>