Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattle of intensity - Avant Garden Vs. Mongol

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which album makes you move more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [50.00%]
1 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of intensity - Avant Garden Vs. Mongol
    Posted: October 16 2007 at 20:30
AVANT GARDEN - Maelstrom     &     MONGOL - Doppler 444
Two intense, non-stop action, thrilling, high energy fusion releases.

Which is the one that makes you feel more alive, more awake, more.... nervous ?

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 20:38
Geez...I read this as Avante-garde vs. Mogols.   Mongols destoryed Europe and kicked ass. As for the poll, I have never listened to either.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 23:42
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Geez...I read this as Avante-garde vs. Mogols.   Mongols destoryed Europe and kicked ass. As for the poll, I have never listened to either.

hehehe....

Anyway, you should listen to those if you like high energy listening. From start to finish, it's relentless.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 21:13
So, no one has heard those albums?

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 22:48
A band is called Avant Garden?... uh... that´s pretentious! Like that band called The Music!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 22:52
I don't see how it's pretentious, but in any case, they are no longet active (though there are talks of doing shows) and their music is not exactly avant-garde as the name might imply... 
You should try it if you can find it, it's pretty good.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 08:05
Hey Assaf, I have not heard Avant Garden, I probably have seen the name around here before though. Mongol was actually one of the first albums I discovered when I first start browsing the archives. I had to put together a compilation disc of numerous mp3 tracks I had downloaded, Driller being one of them. I think I liked 'Doppler 444' more back then than I do now. I tend to listen to it when I'm in the mood for some relentless slightly symphonic fusion-esque music.
Avant Gardener View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 01:56
You really think that the band name "Avant Garden" is...uh...pretentious, eh? The only problem saw with that name was the fact that it might mislead people into assuming that the band was some out there noise/avant garde/free jazz thing when the actual sound of that band was not anything like that at all.
Golly Gee...it seemed to be a good idea to us at the time because it made us laugh & most importantly it was not taken by any other band (unlike the other five names we used until we heard that some new metal band from Iowa named themselves the same thing after they just signed to Metalblade. However, I must admit - if  I knew that Aerosmith had a song named the same thing I probably wouldn't find it as humorous as I originally did at that time.

The word "pretentious" is a bizarre choice of  vocabulary to me because the common usage of the word tends to come up when it's mispronounced by punkers with purple mohawks in London during the late 70's when they were arguing how much better the Sex Pistols were in comparison to Gabriel-Era Genesis. That word also came to mind when a prog reviewer compared Univers Zero to the sound of rush hour traffic on Highway 50. Then, of course, there was the most compelling example of the word when I made the mistake of  seeing Pendragon performing their latest album from beginning to end at Prog Fest in the mid 90's...or was that Kalaban.....anyway...it doesn't matter.
 I really don't mean to sound like I'm  giving you a hard time because I'm not really all that happy with the name either...but, it is what it is. I just couldn 't relate to how naming a band Avant Garden is an act of pretentiousness because it's not a name that suggests  anything particularly  complimentary, self absorbed, or anything that would induce a mental state of overpowered ego. Plus, after  anyone sees maybe a dozen Prog concerts....you know, when you reach a point of seeing a pattern of dungeon & dragon lyrics who is sung by either a jon anderson  or peter gabriel sound alike, prancing around in a 17th century Viking costume while some japanese college student is playing Red-era Frippertronics wishing that the keyboardist would get that forth mellotron working so the upcoming Spocks Beard-esque passage would sound all the more PFM-ish - it's those kind of  thoughts that conjure up the word "pretentious".
Is Avant Garden a  stupid name? Yes Definitely!!  But, Pretentious?  not really actually.

Just thinking out loud - nothing else.

Later on guys,
Brian
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 22:54
Bump....

So, any newcomers to those bands?

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Avant Gardener Avant Gardener wrote:

You really think that the band name "Avant Garden" is...uh...pretentious, eh? The only problem saw with that name was the fact that it might mislead people into assuming that the band was some out there noise/avant garde/free jazz thing when the actual sound of that band was not anything like that at all.
Golly Gee...it seemed to be a good idea to us at the time because it made us laugh & most importantly it was not taken by any other band (unlike the other five names we used until we heard that some new metal band from Iowa named themselves the same thing after they just signed to Metalblade. However, I must admit - if  I knew that Aerosmith had a song named the same thing I probably wouldn't find it as humorous as I originally did at that time.

The word "pretentious" is a bizarre choice of  vocabulary to me because the common usage of the word tends to come up when it's mispronounced by punkers with purple mohawks in London during the late 70's when they were arguing how much better the Sex Pistols were in comparison to Gabriel-Era Genesis. That word also came to mind when a prog reviewer compared Univers Zero to the sound of rush hour traffic on Highway 50. Then, of course, there was the most compelling example of the word when I made the mistake of  seeing Pendragon performing their latest album from beginning to end at Prog Fest in the mid 90's...or was that Kalaban.....anyway...it doesn't matter.
 I really don't mean to sound like I'm  giving you a hard time because I'm not really all that happy with the name either...but, it is what it is. I just couldn 't relate to how naming a band Avant Garden is an act of pretentiousness because it's not a name that suggests  anything particularly  complimentary, self absorbed, or anything that would induce a mental state of overpowered ego. Plus, after  anyone sees maybe a dozen Prog concerts....you know, when you reach a point of seeing a pattern of dungeon & dragon lyrics who is sung by either a jon anderson  or peter gabriel sound alike, prancing around in a 17th century Viking costume while some japanese college student is playing Red-era Frippertronics wishing that the keyboardist would get that forth mellotron working so the upcoming Spocks Beard-esque passage would sound all the more PFM-ish - it's those kind of  thoughts that conjure up the word "pretentious".
Is Avant Garden a  stupid name? Yes Definitely!!  But, Pretentious?  not really actually.

Just thinking out loud - nothing else.

Later on guys,
Brian

Hey Brian

I like the name actually, can't see why the other folks have problems with it. The music is excellent as well.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 23:56
Bumping this for more people to discover these two intense recordings.

Post Reply Post Reply