Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Al DiMeola
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAl DiMeola

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: October 24 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1298
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al DiMeola
    Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:16
He's a guitar shredding god!
Discuss.





Edited by Sweetnighter
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Back to Top
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 16 2004
Location: Sao Tome and Pr
Status: Offline
Points: 5187
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:19

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

He's a guitar shredding god!
Discuss.



I can't find a "shred" of evidence to support this view!Big smile

Great guitarist though.Electric Rendezvous is a particular favourite of mine.




Back to Top
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: October 24 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1298
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:22
ah, really? I don't have that one. I have the first three... and I think they're all incredible. I don't like Casino as much as Midnight Sun and Elegant Gypsy, but good nonetheless.

And now I have to ask the big question... is he prog?
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Back to Top
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 16 2004
Location: Sao Tome and Pr
Status: Offline
Points: 5187
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:30

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

ah, really? I don't have that one. I have the first three... and I think they're all incredible. I don't like Casino as much as Midnight Sun and Elegant Gypsy, but good nonetheless.

And now I have to ask the big question... is he prog?

No,but who cares? Prodigious maybe!Big smile




Back to Top
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: October 24 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1298
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:31
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

ah, really? I don't have that one. I have the first three... and I think they're all incredible. I don't like Casino as much as Midnight Sun and Elegant Gypsy, but good nonetheless.

And now I have to ask the big question... is he prog?

No,but who cares? Prodigious maybe!Big smile



Why don't you think he's prog? out of curiosity
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Back to Top
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 13 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 6898
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:37
HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE WHAT IS/WHAT ISN'T PROG ARGUMENT.
Back to Top
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 16 2004
Location: Sao Tome and Pr
Status: Offline
Points: 5187
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:39
Because he plays in a jazz-fusion style, therefore he is a Jazz-Fusion artist.



Back to Top
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 02 2005
Location: Poland
Status: Offline
Points: 2373
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:42
Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

ah, really? I don't have that one. I have the first three... and I think they're all incredible. I don't like Casino as much as Midnight Sun and Elegant Gypsy, but good nonetheless.

And now I have to ask the big question... is he prog?

No,but who cares? Prodigious maybe!Big smile



Why don't you think he's prog? out of curiosity

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Back to Top
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: December 24 2004
Location: Bucketheadland
Status: Offline
Points: 21342
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:43
I haven't heard much from him, but I like Egyptian Danza.
Back to Top
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 13 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 6898
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Because he plays in a jazz-fusion style, therefore he is a Jazz-Fusion artist.
No! No! No! I disagree. I think that since he plays in a Jazz-Fusion style therefore he definitely must be a Jazz Fusion artist.
Back to Top
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 16 2004
Location: Sao Tome and Pr
Status: Offline
Points: 5187
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:50

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Because he plays in a jazz-fusion style, therefore he is a Jazz-Fusion artist.
No! No! No! I disagree. I think that since he plays in a Jazz-Fusion style therefore he definitely must be a Jazz Fusion artist.

Ouch

I got it wrong VB,I so sorry!LOL




Back to Top
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 06 2004
Location: France
Status: Offline
Points: 8138
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:50
Bruford, Holdsworth, Kenso, Brand X play also jazz-fusion and they are all in the progarchives files.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Back to Top
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: October 24 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1298
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Bruford, Holdsworth, Kenso, Brand X play also jazz-fusion and they are all in the progarchives files.


So is Return to Forever, of which Di Meola was a part.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Back to Top
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 16 2004
Location: Sao Tome and Pr
Status: Offline
Points: 5187
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:59

Alex Lifeson has played on Platinum Blond albums,are you suggesting they are prog?LOL




Back to Top
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 02 2005
Location: Poland
Status: Offline
Points: 2373
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 13:01

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

He's a guitar shredding god!

 

On a more serious note, if DiMeola gets included into the archive then let's include Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale, Adam Holzman, Bill Connors and everyone else playing fusion proper along the way and get this over with, OK?



Edited by Manunkind
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Back to Top
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 16 2004
Location: Sao Tome and Pr
Status: Offline
Points: 5187
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 13:04

???

LOL



Edited by Reed Lover



Back to Top
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 13 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 6898
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 13:35
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Bruford, Holdsworth, Kenso, Brand X play also jazz-fusion and they are all in the progarchives files.
OK Lucas, w'll let you be the judge. Is Al Di Meola Prog or Fusion? Give us your Synopsis.
Back to Top
billyshears'67 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: November 26 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 161
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 13:50
Di Meola is Fusion! So are all those other aforementioned artists that are on this site, that are fusion. Don't forget Mahavishnu Orchestra are also on the site and the Dixie Dregs. Although the Dregs add a bit more to the mix, so that's understandable. I'm actually surprised Weather Report or Herbie Hancock  hasn't gotten on the site, considering all these other fusion artists.

Keep fusion out of the archives, is what I say. I love fusion, I don't like them being misrepresented here (for those who don't know the difference).

Peace & take care
Back to Top
Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: March 13 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Status: Offline
Points: 297
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 14:48

I have Casino, and like it alot. especially the first three songs.

I think he would be nice in the archives.

Back to Top
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 06 2004
Location: France
Status: Offline
Points: 8138
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 15:21

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Bruford, Holdsworth, Kenso, Brand X play also jazz-fusion and they are all in the progarchives files.
OK Lucas, w'll let you be the judge. Is Al Di Meola Prog or Fusion? Give us your Synopsis.

Fusion can be regarded as a subgenre of prog rock.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.129 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.