Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for turntable, what should I get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for turntable, what should I get?
    Posted: December 31 2007 at 19:19
^ darn Unhappy.  well at least im happy with what i got.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 06:43
^ Nice Clap

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

(although I've been watching a P3 on eBay and it's just broke the $300 barrier with 6 days to go - I expect this will go for around $500Unhappy) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGA-P3-TURNTABLE-WITH-RB300-TONEARM-EXCEL-COND-NO-RES_W0QQitemZ120175537223QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
the Rega P3 went for $456.09 Wink
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 02:09
Just to let everyone know, I took what everyone said in the thread and ended up with a Pro-Ject Xpression II for Christmas.  I'm really happy with both the tonearm and the cartridge, and it sounds amazing with my speaker system.

The only difference between that picture and mine is that there aren't those switches on the bottom left, it has a power switch on the bottom.

Thanks for all the help!Big%20smile

Edited by asimplemistake - December 31 2007 at 02:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 18:30
^awesome, sounds great.  I'll be checking one out probably next weekend when I have to time to go to the hifi place.  The high end stuff wont be a problem for me cause I have an EQ on my amplifier.  thanks for the review
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 10:05
Project turned up today.

Beats the pants off my old Technics - the sound is superb, if somewhat coloured by the pre-amp.

Reviews I've read say that it tends to colour and enhance the top end - which is OK on my mega-bassy system that goes out via Mission 701s - and needs a 24-hour "burn-in" period. Suits me.

Christened it with "Sergeant Pepper", then spun Led Zep II, followed by "In Rock".

The big problem now is deciding what to listen to next... think it's going to be Nursery Cryme Big%20smile

Then I'll get stuck into mp3'ing everything - I'll probably use Wavepad rather than Audacity though.

Very happy with this turntable. Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 17:02
^Thanks, I'll read through that thread, it looks like it can help me.  I think I've changed my mind a bit and now I'm mainly looking at regular players (not usb), and yes the rega is way too much for my budget, but I am willing to spend more than $200, just not too much more.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by asimplemistake asimplemistake wrote:

So I'm looking for a turntable so I can listen to my records in my bedroom (instead of with the player upstairs), and I'd like to get a good one, but I have no idea what to get/what brands are trusted/anything. 

I am not looking for anything super amazing, just a record player that will sound good and not scratch up my records.  I do NOT want a turntable for DJing, but just for listening (I believe that means I should get a belt drive but I dont know for sure).

Now I would like it if I could get one that also converts records to mp3s or whatever, but I dont know much about this technology, or what to get.

Can anyone recommend some good turntables for around $200 that kinda fit what I'm looking for?

have a look at this thread...

you won't go far wrong with a Rega Planar 3, you might get a used one for $200 on Ebay Smile

Edited by mystic fred - October 29 2007 at 12:49
Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 18:13
I found a place near me that sells the Projects, so I'll take a look when I go there.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 13:57
^The Project has a built-in pre-amp, so can connect direct to line-in, as well as USB for direct PC connection.

Can't wait for Saturday Big%20smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 00:50
That's a good point that I didn't think about (because I do not know much about the subject).  The amplifier I have has MD/Tape, Tuner (radio), and Aux inputs.  Basically it's just a nice CD player (but with very nice sound I must add).  Based on what you said, I'm guessing that I will need either one of the Phono plugs or a turntable that's compatible with what I've got.
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 20:12
Just a quick heads up.
What equipment will you plug the turntable into?
Are you aware that you'll probably need a phono preamp to go with the turntable if you have a modern amp? Basically the signal coming from a turntable is too weak to properly work with your amp and speakers, so it needs to ne preamplified with a phono stage. Some older amps have a built-in phono stage but most modern ones (from the CD era) have dispensed with this. Check the back of your amp to see if it has a section marked 'phono'.
Project make a turntable which has a phono preamp/stage but again this will increase your costs.
If you get a turntable that doesn't have a phono preamp/stage and your hi-fi amp doesn't have a phono stage (check the back of the amp for a section marked phono) then I'd go with either of these: Project Phonobox or the NAD PP-2 Phono stage. Both cheap and cheerful.

Presuming that you're amp has this or you're going to buy a phono stage then In terms of a good turntable I'd opt for a second-hand Rega Planar 3. You shouold get one for around $250 on Ebay and you'll love it. It's a little slice of how real music should sound. In terms of parts, servicing, carts, etc etc I'd advise taking a look here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Budget-Turntables

It's a US-based online store that should be able to sort you out buying-wise and with servicing should you need it. - which, if you go project or rega, you probably won't for at least five years if you look after the TT, tonearm and cart.

If you want to pursue conversion to MP3 after getting your turntable, have a look at this:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10702&bypass=1

Just plug the phono plugs of your turntable into it, the usb connector to your computer, jam your headphones into the Creative, drop the needle on the record and hit record on the computer. Comes with editing software etc etc. Simple and if you get a 2nd hand Rega and this you'll save money on the Project USB (US retail of $449) and get yourself a turntable youll b happy with for years to come.

Sorry it all seems so complicated but that's hi-fi - needlessly nerdy.

Happy shopping. Once you go vinyl you'll never go back to ugly CDs and you'll also et yourself on the road to hi-fi bliss.

Edited by arcer - October 27 2007 at 20:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 05:20
^ if you are willing to buy used equipment, then I 100% concur.

(although I've been watching a P3 on eBay and it's just broke the $300 barrier with 6 days to go - I expect this will go for around $500Unhappy) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGA-P3-TURNTABLE-WITH-RB300-TONEARM-EXCEL-COND-NO-RES_W0QQitemZ120175537223QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
What?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 05:08
For once I agree with oliverstoned here ... an used Rega Planar 3 would fit the price range. And these things look quite nice too ... Smile

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 04:42
in that case I'm beat... most of the big names in turntable, like Pink Triangle (now there's Prog name for youBig%20smile), ceased trading or are out of your price range by a factor of 5.

You are probably stuck for choice, those Ion/iTT/Soundlab USB things are all pretty much the same - buy one but don't expect miracles. Ion did make a USB soundcard/phono amp for you to use with a seperate turntable - if you can find one of those locally, then you could look at a Sony or Technics turntable.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 23:29
Ok so I like the looks of the Project Mk3, but the only problem is that theres only one store in the USA that distributes them, and my parents want to get one that I can see in person and have a place nearby that I can go to for fixing it or whatever.

That being said, are there any other recommendations?  I'm kind of leaning towards one that has USB now because I'd like to have many of my records on my iPod for when I'm out and about.

Edited by asimplemistake - October 26 2007 at 23:30
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 18:43
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

/edit: no modern amps have Phono input - I use a QED pre-amp that only cost about £30 and that works just fine.

On the other hand most modern turntables have line output ... unless they're specifically trying to be "retro".Wink
Almost. Some do, some don't - it is important to check the spec's before buying. The Project has a phone pre-amp version as well as the USB version, but the basic model has neither..
What?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 18:29

/edit: no modern amps have Phono input - I use a QED pre-amp that only cost about £30 and that works just fine.

On the other hand most modern turntables have line output ... unless they're specifically trying to be "retro".Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 16:35
^ nice, but the P3 is a $900 turntable, however you might find one on eBay for a reasonable price (but I doubt it).
What?
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 06:49

Rega 3

Edited by oliverstoned - October 25 2007 at 06:49
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 02:47

Heh - I was going to suggest the Project Debut III - got the USB version on order for my birthday Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>