Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion album 15 details and pre-order
    Posted: October 31 2007 at 09:48
Just ordered mineThumbs%20Up

Hellooo.. and... Greetings from the studio!
Well, the cycle has started once again.. We're back in the Racket Club oiling up the Marillion machine (or strange engine..) for the erratic journey to ALBUM FIFTEEN (!) and the ideas are really flowing now. We're here jamming and experimenting with new ideas while Mike Hunter runs around trying to record it all and feed back his own suggestions and enthusiasm. We're pleased to report some very interesting music is still emerging. This should see the light of day next Summer.. AND it will be another double album!

It's an inspired and exciting time for the five of us as artists, but also - with our "Intact" record company hats on - a time to reflect on the successes and failures of the last album release. We have had a lot of feedback about the lack of a "pre-order" or any kind of special packaging, extra material, or the popular "my name in the credits" versions of the last album. We thought you might have got tired of the idea, but the majority of you told us we were wrong!

So here's what we've decided to do..
You're going get what you asked for: We are planning to create an exclusive Special Edition of Album 15 which we are making available as a PRE-ORDER directly from us. Based on the success of the "Marbles" pre-order, we plan to make 2 different versions available: a 'Deluxe Campaign 2CD Edition' in super-sexy packaging with YOUR NAMES in the album credits - this will be priced at £29.99 and only available to pre-order; and also the Standard Release - the double album split into Volumes 1 & 2 available separately as 'normal' 1CD-in-a-box releases priced at £9.99 each.
When will it be released? What will be on it? Will there be extra music? When can I order? What about a tour?

Yes, you have questions, and we already have (some) answers. Just like previous pre-orders, we have set up a page on our website to answer all of these, and will continue to add to the list as we get feedback from you by email and on our Forums.
What we CAN tell you, though, is that we expect the album to be ready some time between July and September 2008 (but are not setting a firm release date as with previous pre-orders!) with an extensive tour to follow starting in September 2008 (more information about the tour on the website, but the album WILL be out before the tour.)
You are able to pre-order the album NOW, and each pre-order for the Deluxe Campaign 2CD Edition will enter you in to a variety of prize draws - including sound check/front row passes to the Snow-where Else tour, a visit to the Racket Club studio, gift vouchers, meet-and-greets, MORE sound check/front row passes to the Album 15 tour, and the STAR PRIZE (wooo..!) of an all expenses paid trip to the Marillion Weekend 2009... PLUS more as we think of them - phew!

Why do we want your money so far in advance? Many of you may be aware that the writing sessions for "Somewhere Else" were prolific, but there came a point where we had to decide which ideas to follow through for the album, and which to put to one side to develop to their full potential later on. Well, even though we do have several songs "on the shelf" which are close to completion, we've also recently hit something of a creative streak and have a lot of exciting new ideas that we're developing, and these inevitably entail a few months locked away in the studio. Once ready, we need to let people know about the album and the tour with advertising, posters, interviews... and of course we have the small task of manufacturing one hundred thousand albums, too.. (!)
By being part of the Album 15 Pre-Order Campaign you will once again be acting as our "global family record company" by contributing to the recording, manufacture and marketing of the album without us having to resort to the inevitable headaches which happen when we get into bed with "blokes in suits". Frankly we'd rather make this album with you. We did it before, and it felt good. It also inspired a few other tasty bands to "a better way of life" too..

So there you go - your pre-order is back! If you have any QUESTIONS, please, PLEASE go to www.marillion.com/preorder (where most issues will already be addressed) before writing to us. It'll be quicker, and you can also join the discussions on the Marillion Online Forums if you have any outstanding queries.

As we said earlier, things are going really well in the studio and there's much excitement here over the music we're making, so we'd better get on with it. We'll see you very soon - perhaps on the "Snow-where Else" tour at Christmas.. Good luck with the draw - we hope you win a prize or two!
One love,
One family,
One Better Way Of Life.
Toodleoo,
h, Ian, Mark, Pete, Steve
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:05
Heart

I prophesy a better album than Somewhere Else.
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:13
A double album?
muffley_mirkin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:24
Enough of the gimmicky ways to get the album released.

After the half-hearted Somewhere Else i would prefer Marillion to get more creative with the music rather than the way it is going to be marketed etc.

I have been following Marillion since '83 but hey will have to go some way to better the latest Fish album.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:37
I thought Somewhere Else was quite decent.  Perhaps not the masterpiece that AOS or TSE were, but not a half-hearted effort either.  I am looking forward to their next album.  But to shell out $60.00 for an album, even a double album is a bit excessive.  For that price, they better not just put my name on the album, they should let me sing and play keyboards on the album and provide me with a few groupies.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:42
Originally posted by muffley_mirkin muffley_mirkin wrote:

Enough of the gimmicky ways to get the album released.

After the half-hearted Somewhere Else i would prefer Marillion to get more creative with the music rather than the way it is going to be marketed etc.

I have been following Marillion since '83 but hey will have to go some way to better the latest Fish album.

Gimmicks aren't really a product of the album's creativity. They're doing this due to fan demand.

Besides, it's more gimmicky than Fish's 13th Star...which, by the way, I absolutely love.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:51
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I thought Somewhere Else was quite decent.  Perhaps not the masterpiece that AOS or TSE were, but not a half-hearted effort either.  I am looking forward to their next album.  But to shell out $60.00 for an album, even a double album is a bit excessive.  For that price, they better not just put my name on the album, they should let me sing and play keyboards on the album and provide me with a few groupies.  Tongue

Somewhere Else is really growing on me. I liked it when I first heard it, but a few songs didn't quite hit the mark. Now, however, I enjoy all the tracks.

Marillion is a band that I don't have to think twice about. I ordered it the second I got the e-web.

E

iTunes: "Where In The World" from Fish's 13th Star
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 17:33
Wow, they must be really inspired to get to work on a new album so fast. Maybe I will actually like this one.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 21:07
At $60, it's gonna be great. Hey, it's Marillion, HT!!! It'll be friggin' awesome!!!

E
keith_emerson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 21:54
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Heart

I prophesy a better album than Somewhere Else.

I prophesy disaster and then I count the cost...Embarrassed

sorry, i couldn't resist it

Edited by keith_emerson - October 31 2007 at 21:54
FranMuzak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 15:56
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Somewhere Else is really growing on me. I liked it when I first heard it, but a few songs didn't quite hit the mark. Now, however, I enjoy all the tracks.

Marillion is a band that I don't have to think twice about. I ordered it the second I got the e-web.

E

iTunes: "Where In The World" from Fish's 13th Star

I ordered inmediatly too. Although i enjoy SE more than when i first heard it i still think is no higher than 3 stars. I'm sure a double album will have at least half of its content decent, but i hope they release something as good as Marbles.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 16:20
Any word onwhat direction they are taking musically with this album? 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 20:21
funny how things change I'm beyond caring about what Marillion are doing, been burnt once to often by them in the last decade.  Smile
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 20:45
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

funny how things change I'm beyond caring about what Marillion are doing, been burnt once to often by them in the last decade.  Smile

... and you're here because?

E
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 22:59

[QUOTE=Yorkie X]funny how things change I'm beyond caring about what Marillion are doing, been burnt once to often by them in the last decade.  Smile

... and you're here because?

E

A band called Marillion have been a part of my musical vocabulary for over 24 years now I`m here for sentimental reasons I suppose E .

Edited by Yorkie X - November 02 2007 at 23:36
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 23:34
Too bad they've let you down. On the flip side, they've made me passionate about music after not really having a "favorite band" for a while.

Maybe they're reinstate your faith one day.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 00:11

Hey E.  A little off topic here, but I just listened again to Ice Cream Genius for the first time in a long while.  What'd you think of that album?  I loved it, and when it first came out it got a lot of plays on my cd player.  The song that got me the most was "Cage".  Of course, at the time it came out, I had just broken up with my girlfriend of six years, so the line "I'm getting through the day somehow, what will I do about the years?" was powerful stuff to me then, and still manages to choke me up just a bit, 10 years later. 

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 10:42

Hey E.  A little off topic here, but I just listened again to Ice Cream Genius for the first time in a long while.  What'd you think of that album?  I loved it, and when it first came out it got a lot of plays on my cd player.  The song that got me the most was "Cage".  Of course, at the time it came out, I had just broken up with my girlfriend of six years, so the line "I'm getting through the day somehow, what will I do about the years?" was powerful stuff to me then, and still manages to choke me up just a bit, 10 years later. 

As hard as it is to believe, Doc, I don't own any of Hogarth's solo albums. I may have to change that. How would you describe it?

E
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 11:22

As hard as it is to believe, Doc, I don't own any of Hogarth's solo albums. I may have to change that. How would you describe it?

E

Shocked

You really should get Ice Cream Genius.  It's a bit along the lines of TSE without the epic track.  But all 8 songs on the album are great, he writes some very strong melodies for this album.  A couple of the tunes are a bit rockier than most Marillion stuff, like "You Dinosaur Thing", some are very atmospheric like "Better Dreams", and "Cage" is just a downright strange song, but also my favorite off the album.  But if you're a fan of Marillion's mid-90's stuff, and I know you are, you can't go wrong with this album.

I am going out to run some errands and I enjoyed the album so much last night, I'm taking the CD along for my driving music.  I want to hear it again.

Edited by The Doctor - November 03 2007 at 13:27
ProgRobUK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 08:51

I have to agree that Cage is an excellent track - the lyrics are great.  Also love Better Dreams (more fab lyrics).  I've only heard 'The Last Thing' on the Live Spirit Live Body album, but it was on the US release of Ice Cream Genius and also on the re-release, but for me that is a superb track.  Three brilliant tracks make the album worth it.

Anyhow, back on topic, guess we'll order no. 15 but after Somewhere Else I think we'll probably hang fire for a bit.  Somewhere Else was a disaster as far as I am concerned with not one track really reaching the level of excellent Cry.  However, eventually sentimentality will get the better of us and we'll spend the scary amounts of money (the excellent Marbles cost nowhere near this price).

Cheers,
Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>