FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Perfect Circle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Perfect Circle
    Posted: November 02 2007 at 16:58

I  dig Tool as do so many of you. I was just reading a bit about the Band A perfect Circle, which came out of the band Tool. Reviews are plus positive, yet I was hoping to hear a more "Prog- Oriented" review of the band and their music from you ,my  Prog Brethren( More trustworthy are you, then the professional critics that abound,). Though the band is not covered here, I know there is a few of you out there who could tell me where to start.What is the best album to start with etc.... Thanks

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 17:15
I also like TOOL a lot,so decided to check out A PERFECT CIRCLE,but i didn't like them at all.I probably didn't give them a fair chance as i heard 2 of their most popular cds a couple of times each. Just couldn't bring myself to put forth the effort.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 17:42
John, as a taste-twin of you, I wholeheartedly recommend you THIRTEENTH STEP. First 4 songs are awesome! This is not quite much Prog, but it's great!
william314159 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 17:49
Both Mer De Noms and Thirteenth step are very good albums, but don't expect any extremely teched-out passages.  Other than Maynard's voice and a few of their heavier moments, they do not sound very much like Tool.  They have a feel somewhere between Porcupine Tree, Smashing Pumpkins, and Radiohead.  I would suggest not worrying about whether they are prog or not.  Approached with an open mind, I'm sure that you'll find that it is well done intellegent and moving rock music.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 17:58
Thirteenth step is a masterpiece and I recomend it to anyone willing to listen to it, every song on that album is superb.

I really like the atmosphere of the first few songs on Emotive, but the rest are average (except the awesome redo of pet)

Mer de Noms is poppy garbage, and easily the worst thing Maynard ever came up with.

GREAT BAND!
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:05
They're not really progressive rock, I'd say they're alternative rock (for whatever those terms are worth).  Don't expect them to sound like Tool, I don't find them to be very similar.  Personally, I enjoy APC more.  I'd try Mer De Noms first, then Thirteenth Step.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:08
^ they are more artistic rock than alternative, I probably shouldnt talk, I cant even tell whats alternative, rock, or indie nowadays.

Yeah, start with mer de noms, then concentrate on thirteenth step. Then listen to mer de noms, and realise how much it sucks compared to 13.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:10
Alternative rock is far too broad of a term to really be able to describe a band, since so many bands are placed under it.  And I don't think indie should be a genre, but I won't go off-topic any further. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either of APC's first two albums, they're both two of my favorite albums. 
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:17
You obviously have not given too much time to Emotive! I know, it's REALLY different from the first two, but I think its what APC was aiming for in the first place: atmosphere.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:22
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

You obviously have not given too much time to Emotive! I know, it's REALLY different from the first two, but I think its what APC was aiming for in the first place: atmosphere.

I've had eMOTIVe since the day it came out and I've been listening to APC since 2003, so I'm more than familiar with their three albums. Wink  eMOTIVe is good, especially the first five songs, but it trails off a little after that, but it's still a good albums and by no means poor (though Counting Bodies... doesn't compare to Pet, I just think of it as a remix, an OK song).

Plus, I wouldn't recommend a cover album (no disrespect meant to eMOTIVe) to someone who wants to start with them.

Edited by darkmatter - November 02 2007 at 18:25
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:24
I first found APC, I got thirteenth step and loved it! I later bought Lateralus, and after listening to it once, never touched it again. (Except for the title track)

So I'd start with 13th Step.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:25
I like both versions!

JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:33
Thanks for the imput. I will give the 13th the first try...
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 19:07
APC are not my cup of tea
even if I like some of their songs I struggle to find interest in most of them
of course they don't sound like Tool, but you can recognise the voice of Maynard
that directs you straight to Tool, the music is much more 'softer' though
I understand that they have an audience but the style of music they play does not touch me

if I had to make a comparison, Tool are far more  complicated, prog and interesting
but all of their albums are decent

Edited by aapatsos - November 02 2007 at 19:08
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 15:34
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Thirteenth step is a masterpiece and I recomend it to anyone willing to listen to it, every song on that album is superb.

I really like the atmosphere of the first few songs on Emotive, but the rest are average (except the awesome redo of pet)

Mer de Noms is poppy garbage, and easily the worst thing Maynard ever came up with.

GREAT BAND!

for your 13th step comments

for your Mer de Noms comments

I actually like APC more than Tool.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 15:45
I have got Mer de Noms, but I am afraid it doesn't do much for me.  Though I bought it on the strength of a very positive review on an Italian book, I actually find it a bit on the boring, samey side. However, I don't agree with the definition of 'poppy garbage' at all.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 21:41
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I have got Mer de Noms, but I am afraid it doesn't do much for me.  Though I bought it on the strength of a very positive review on an Italian book, I actually find it a bit on the boring, samey side. However, I don't agree with the definition of 'poppy garbage' at all.

Check out  13th Step before giving up on them.  It's their best album and one of my personal favorites as well. The mood it creates is very dreamy and I love Maynard's voice on it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Check out  13th Step before giving up on them.  It's their best album and one of my personal favorites as well. The mood it creates is very dreamy and I love Maynard's voice on it.

I'll never tire of that album! Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply