Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid the Beatles Invent Folk Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did the Beatles Invent Folk Rock?
    Posted: November 04 2007 at 12:54
The Byrds credit  the Beatles for inventing folk rock. I got this from another web site check out the article. Ouch 

The artful Roger: in The Folk Den with Roger McGuinn

At the same time all this was happening, McGuinn also experienced a major epiphany that would have a profound effect on his musical future: The Beatles had exploded onto the American charts. Captivated by their skiffle beat, mellifluous chord progressions, and infectious melodies, he instinctively knew that melding those distinguishing characteristics with his own tried-and-true folk sensibilities and training would yield a pretty unique sound.

"When the Beatles had come out, the folk boom had already peaked," McGuinn notes. "The people who had been into it were getting kind of burned out. It just wasn't very gratifying, and it had become so commercial that it had lost its meaning for a lot of people. So the Beatles kind of re-energized it for me. I thought it was natural to put the Beatles' beat and the energy of the Beatles into folk music. And in fact, I heard folk chord changes in the Beatles' music when I listened to their early stuff like 'She Loves You' and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand.' I could hear the passing chords that we always use in folk music: the G-Em-Am-B kind of stuff. So I really think the Beatles invented folk-rock. They just didn't know it."

Edited by Beckham - November 04 2007 at 12:55
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 13:10
not in my book...(a few) chords are definitely not the utmost elements that defines folk music and rock. I would actually cry if, out of all this late century's folk, cultural and distinct bands and artists, these four Brits boys would be the "innovators". 
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 13:19
You know, I can give the Beatles credit for just about anything, but this is not one of them. They did dabble in Folk, but Dylan and The Byrds did it first.
Beckham View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 13:37

Though that was Roger McGuinn speaking. Donovan in his autobiography gives a  Beatles credit for a major innovation, using Indian modal music with folk rock on Norwegian Wood. Norwegian Wood also could be an early candiate for progressive folk it also uses unconventional time signature true to it's Indian tradition. I know there are  people who hate the Beatles but it's the musicians who are saying it.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 21:18
Originally posted by Beckham Beckham wrote:

Though that was Roger McGuinn speaking. Donovan in his autobiography gives a  Beatles credit for a major innovation, using Indian modal music with folk rock on Norwegian Wood. Norwegian Wood also could be an early candiate for progressive folk it also uses unconventional time signature true to it's Indian tradition. I know there are  people who hate the Beatles but it's the musicians who are saying it.

The Beatles led the pack on just about everything, but I think Dylan, the Byrds and even Jefferson Aeroplane are mainly responsible for creating the Folk Rock sound.

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 21:20
Dylan was probably the most significant person to make folk rock.

In fact I can point out the concert when the genre was born. I forget the date, but it's the climax in his biography, the concert where he played a bunch of folk songs, then a rock song from Highway 61. After that song, he was booed and called names.....he turned to his guitarist and said "play it f**king loud" and that was the moment it was born.

At least, that makes quite an epic story. Who cares if it's really the moment folk rock was born.

Edited by Shakespeare - November 04 2007 at 21:22
Sydwaters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 00:36

I am not saying the Beatles invented folk rock. You can't dismiss the fact the Beatles influenced the most prominent folk rock act the Byrds to go electric. Dylan had nothing to do with Byrds going electric. Dylan was still a folk artist when a Hard Days Night came out.. Roger McGuinn saw elements of folk with rock on the Beatles music and that was good enough for him.  Roger also got the 12 string guitar becuase of the jangle fade in a Hard Days Night.  I credit all three of them.   

They were a number of bands who were folk artists who went electric because of the Beatles including Dylan partly  himself according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. All Music Guide lists Beatles For Sale as folk rock and country rock. You can't dismiss what other people say.  The influence worked the other way around, they all influenced each other. Don't forget about the Beu Breummels, the Searchers and the Animals also.

Edited by Sydwaters - November 05 2007 at 00:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 04:04
The Beatles were influenced by Dylan, to the point were Lennon even dressed like him and although You've Got To Hide Your Love Away is the most obvious and Help! is probably their most Folk-Rock album, many of their earlier songs show folk influences, but the bulk of that was defined by their Liverpool/Irish background (IMHO Wink).
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 17:40
Most The Beatles folk-rock numbers were Dylan-influenced.
Sydwaters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 18:56
Yes Dylan influenced them. Dylan was an influence while they were doing pop rock does that make Dylan pop rock. The Beatles mixed folk with rock before Dylan went electric. The Beatles inspired the Bryds to go electric not Dylan. It was a big triangle all had a major impact.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 03:53
Dylan, surely?

That event at Newport was the thing that did it - but the Byrds were no less instrumental (pardon the pun...)
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 04:01
You can't fool me, King Henry VIII created folk rock. His songs were covered by such folk stars as Jethro Tull, Gryphon, and Rainbow.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 04:12
Sandy Bull should get an honourable mention here.His album,'Inventions...' was released around 1963.
John Fahey was experimenting in a similar vain around the same time.His 'Blind Joe Death' album is fantastic.

There werer also bands like the Thirteenth Floor Elevators.They were influenced by jug-band music. Jim Kweskin's band featured one of the future folk rock shining lights in the form of John Sebastian.

Richard and Mimi Farina shouldn't be discounted either

Edited by Man Erg - November 11 2007 at 04:28

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 22:14
Nothing is "invented"....all stems from elsewhere and everywhere.  Dylan loved raw rock 'n roll....he grew up on it; Dylan also loved those folksy Woody and Hank songs....he grew up on them also.  Now, those styles that Dylan loved so much and later melded together so well came from.....somewhere and everywhere.  All aspects of culture influence another....economics, geography, even mathematics, all influence the music, literature, and philosophy of the day. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 04:24

i really dont know who were invented (British) folk-rock genre, but, imho, Lindisfarne were best in this genre in UK.

EDIT: ...and from States thats Poco to me.

Edited by zicIy - November 11 2007 at 04:30
 Post Reply Post Reply