Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSUR OCULTO for the Archives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUR OCULTO for the Archives
    Posted: November 12 2007 at 18:59

HI FRIENDS, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

Here are two Youtube videos of Argentine power trio SUR OCULTO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVqapS24Dw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQ1Ui3Qgdk

SUR OCULTO is an amazing jazz-rock band with lots of stamina and an ability to create multiple textures (mysterious, sinister, extroverted, delicate, etc.) out of basic musical ideas while they build their solid jams. The yreally emphasize the "power" part of the term power-trio. They already have 2 CDs in their résumé, and I truly believe that they would make a great entry in the Archives.

Their website is located at http://www.suroculto.com.ar/; it seems not to be active these days, but hopefully, it will soon and you will find other revealing sound clips at the Myspace blog http://www.myspace.com/suroculto7  There are some amazing videos in this blog, too.

Kind regards. 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 06:39
Thanks, Cesar!Thumbs%20Up Sur Oculto are already on the JR/F addition list, and will be evaluated as soon as possible.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 10:57
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Thanks, Cesar!Thumbs%20Up Sur Oculto are already on the JR/F addition list, and will be evaluated as soon as possible.

Good, and I'm sure the evaluation will be easy to perform on these guys: their music is energetic, well-focused, crafitly delivered and adventurous, just like every prog music should be.

Kind regards.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 11:04
I listened to the three MySpace tracks, and they are sure deserving of attention. Hopefully Martin will give his opinion soon, so we can proceed with the addition, since they are already on our list.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 16:24

Yesterday, I recieved a package from Argentina: a friend of mine gave me a bucn of CDs, one of them is a burnt copy of SUR OCULTO's first album "Trío" (it's currently out of print). It was actually more a demo, but it became to the eyes of the band's fans their debut album. A ver ysolid exercise on power-trio jazz-rock with a pertinent touch of hard rocking psychedelia, although it is their sophomore album "Estados" which shows them on top of their creativity and energy. 

Kind regards.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 17:27
So, any news yet? This band really kicks ass and are currently working on their third release.  

Kind regards.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 20:07
I'll ask again, any news yet about this magnificent jazz-rock Argentine power-trio?
I might as well write a bio for future inclusion.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 20:46
Hailing from Cordoba, instrumental power-trio SUR OCULTO is one of the most magnificent and energetic acts in the current Argentina’s jazz-rock scene. Their mixture of jazz-rock and funk is filtered through notorious sources of heavy prog and hardcore in order to add an unusual dose of stamina (under jazz standards) to their sound: it is especially notable given the fact that this trio is lead by a keyboardsman, not a guitarist. But again, the energy you feel when you listen to SUR OCULTO is delivered by all three musicians at unison during their excursions (which are more based on cadences and improvised elements than on real melodic compositions). Sometimes you can notice some occasional Emersonian and Crimsonian ornaments in their repertoire.

The band got started in 1999, founded by drummer Pablo SPOSSETI and bassist Sebastián TEVES. Quite soon the band’s first line-up was complete with the entries of guitarist Gustavo BARRERA and keyboardist Fabricio MORÁS. Their interest in mixing the tradition of avant-jazz (WEATHER REPORT, RETURN TO FOREVER) with more modernistic approaches to jazz-rock (PLANET-X, CAB) became the band’s musical signature, but then the guitarist and the drummer left. With new drummer Pablo DALMASSO, SUR OCULTO decided to move on as a trio without giving up on the musical power that they were steadily set to elaborate… and that’s how the band has been working so far. Very active indeed, the band has shared stages with bands from other genres (rock-fusion, punk, hardcore) and in festivals (having been the first instrumental band to take part of the Cosquín Rock Festival, usually focused on pop and mainstream rock).

Their debut release was an independent domestic demo titled “Trío” (2002): including only 5 tracks and with a time span of less than 30 minutes, it was critically acclaimed by the specialized jazz music press in their country. But the highest praises were actually in store for their second album “Estados” (2006), a proper long-duration CD.   

SUR OCULTO is recommended to all avid jazz-rock and prog-jazz fans, particularly those who seek something different and particularly energetic within the confines of modern jazz-rock.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 09:11
kicking them to the J-R team... let's see what they have to say.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 09:54
Good bio Cesar, that makes it easier to add the band.

Listening to the soundclips, very impressive indeed. no need to discuss their inclusion, for it's prog for sure. Jazz-Rock naturally.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 19:34

Here's info about "Estados", Sur Oculto's second album. As soon as the band and this album are included in PA, I will try to find an image for their first album (an independently released demo, actually). Of course, I ave it, too, so I already know the tracklist, etc.

SUR OCULTO

“Estados”  (2006)

Azione Artigianale

Tracklisting:

1. CE3  (4:08)

2. La Llave Thompson  (4:46)

3. Metamorfosis  (4:29)

4. A Paip  (7:31)      

5. Vamo  (1:09)

6. El Áspero  (4:36)         

7. Suspensión  (4:18)

8. Bajos  (1:31)     

9. Arkm… (Parece que Se Viene el Diablo)  (1:57)  

10. Que Masón  (3:09)        

11. Vientos de Marte  (4:39)

12. Coleman  (5:47)  

13. Colquín  (7:42)  

Total time  57:07

Musicians:

- Fabricio Morás / keyboards, guitar on 6

- Sebastián Teves / bass

- Pablo Dalmasso / drums

Cover image: http://www.rock.com.ar/discos/4/4716.shtml  

Post Reply Post Reply