Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEphemeral Sun (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ephemeral Sun (USA)
    Posted: November 14 2007 at 07:18

Ephemeral Sun (Atmospheric Gothic Prog Metal)

Charles Gore - bass
Jeff Malone - drums
John Battema - keyboards
Brian O'Neill - guitars

With the release of "Broken Door" at the end of 2004, Ephemeral Sun have presented themselves as a formidable ensemble, merging elements of progressive rock, atmospheric metal, fusion, electronica and more into a singular intense musical vision.

Ephemeral Sun was formed during the summer of 2002 by former Rain Fell Within members as an opportunity to explore new musical territories and more adventurous songwriting. Drawing on their diverse backgrounds and experience with prog-rock, metal, jazz, fusion, electronica, classical, and world music, the group quickly began to create musical pieces that defy easy categorization. It was quickly clear to the group that this new music has potential.

Following the well-received demo/EP "Prototype 19.5" in 2003, the band began work on what would become "Broken Door." Clocking in at over 70 minutes, the album is a celebration of both the band's desire to realize this music and the music itself. Nods to the past of Rain Fell Within are present, but the sound stretches further out, exploring instrumental passages,new textures and musical styles.

Even as the group proudly presents "Broken Door" to willing ears, work on new material is already underway and live dates are being arranged. For the moment, "Broken Door" is a wonderful introduction to a fascinating new group.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8697184
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 02:18
Hints of Kotebel, Gong, and Toto's Dune in there to my ear amongst other things such as Metallica (my own associations).  I like it.  Dramatic symph metal and more.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 07:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hints of Kotebel, Gong, and Toto's Dune in there to my ear amongst other things such as Metallica (my own associations).  I like it.  Dramatic symph metal and more.

Hi Logan! I'm glad that you like the music of Ephemeral Sun. Smile
You're right for the definition of their style.
In my opinion, I would say that Ephemeral Sun plays music between Gothic Metal (The Gathering era Mandylion), atmospheric music (Dead Can Dance, ES recorded the song Avatar for a tribute album of this band) and Classic/Symphonic Prog (ELP, Rick Wakeman).
There are former members of Land Of Chocolate and Rain Fell Within in Ephemeral Sun. Broken Door is a very good concept-album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 13:28
^ Well described, PhideauxFan (though I'm not that familiar with the music of The Gathering or Dead Can Dance -- wonder if I heard DcD when I spent a year in Australia).
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 15:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Well described, PhideauxFan (though I'm not that familiar with the music of The Gathering or Dead Can Dance -- wonder if I heard DcD when I spent a year in Australia).

Thank you Logan! Smile
In USA, there is another great band which is not on Prog Archives. It is Aesma Daeva: progressive gothic metal, but in a more lyrical (the female singer was in Therion) and experimental way.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=4482807
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 18:40
I will add them to our chart and check them out,thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply