Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New changes
    Posted: December 05 2007 at 01:15
I haven't seen a new thread opened to discussed the recent changes on the front page, so here goes.

I pretty much think something doesn't fit the page with these new pages. Here are my thoughts:

• the "most recent 10 reviews" should stay on top of everything. Thinking like someone who's new to the site or just visits the front page, I'd definitely want to see the reviews that are made.
  • by the above point, videos should follow the reviews (like they dad) and last should be the blogs.
  • about the blogs, mind that they're not made on a daily basis. things could get stuck at these three recent ones for a long time, before any new blog is created. I know showing some of the blog materials would encourage more to be written, still...
  • there's an advertisment between the most popular album and the "forum new topics" section. I think it could get a better spot, in a more "swifty" place of the page.
  • the top 100 albums and top 100 reviewers are back to having scrolls. I personally like the idea of showing about 50 of the 100 prolific reviews, and definitely thought showing all the 100 top albums was great. With these changes, the lists make an abrupt end, plus, at the length of the recent reviews, the right side becomes empty after the two lists are over.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm not pleased with neither of the changes (perhaps I'm not Embarrassed), but I thought they were too striking. Even bit disarranged.

Edited by Ricochet - December 05 2007 at 01:37
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 13:02
Thank you Ricochet for saying what I was thinking.  It's sad to see the Reviews relegated to the bottom when they are far and away the most important part of the database (in my biased opinion as a PR of course).  But seriously I think most people who find the site are seaching for reviews for potential albums they want to buy.  Thats how I got here. 

I hope your comments are agreed with by the masses. 

Thanks Rico, heading back underground now....

Clap

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 14:03
Keep the feedback comeing, I'll make sure M@x sees it.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 14:11
Yes, more feedback is good, these changes could be good, just not in "this" arrangement. Clap
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 14:43
I don't understand. This, i used to think, is NOT A BLOG. Now blogs and other stuff are the most important part while reviews are relegated to bottom of the page, with no paragraph breaks?

I hope this gets corrected. THIS, and not the addition of a band, is what could make this site look less serious.

Thumbs%20Down (I don't agree. I know there may be a reason. I just give my opinion).
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 05:37
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I haven't seen a new thread opened to discussed the recent changes on the front page, so here goes.

I pretty much think something doesn't fit the page with these new pages. Here are my thoughts:

• the "most recent 10 reviews" should stay on top of everything. Thinking like someone who's new to the site or just visits the front page, I'd definitely want to see the reviews that are made.
  • by the above point, videos should follow the reviews (like they dad) and last should be the blogs.
  • about the blogs, mind that they're not made on a daily basis. things could get stuck at these three recent ones for a long time, before any new blog is created. I know showing some of the blog materials would encourage more to be written, still...
  • there's an advertisment between the most popular album and the "forum new topics" section. I think it could get a better spot, in a more "swifty" place of the page.
  • the top 100 albums and top 100 reviewers are back to having scrolls. I personally like the idea of showing about 50 of the 100 prolific reviews, and definitely thought showing all the 100 top albums was great. With these changes, the lists make an abrupt end, plus, at the length of the recent reviews, the right side becomes empty after the two lists are over.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm not pleased with neither of the changes (perhaps I'm not Embarrassed), but I thought they were too striking. Even bit disarranged.

I agree with Rico!
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 06:20
This was also discussed in another thread, I remember ...
Rico's thoughts are worth to consider

The content order of the left frame should be

About Progarchives.com
Latest Progressive Rock Music Reviews
Latest 50 Free Mp3 Download (stream)
Latest 3 BLOG/Journals Posts
Latest 3 Progressive Rock Videos

It's my personal view of course, but I think the reviews are most important for the visitors
BTW - the Blog section is a nice new feature ... Thumbs%20Up

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 09:37
Ugh...maybe the changes are too dramatic for me, but I just saw the add of the reviewer's avatar along his review. It still doesn't look good. May I also suggest that we don't use avatars, but try to encourage a personal picture (think of "real" magazine, newspapers or review published notes, where the reviewer usually appears, in a little picture frame)? If not, remove the idea at all, the first lines of the review get squeezed anyway between the picture and the album's cover.

BTW, if M@X added this change, how come he didn't noticed the problem with the paragraphs and the gaps...and fix it? Confused

Edited by Ricochet - December 06 2007 at 09:37
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 09:46
I think the content is good, but the order is not.

Reviews
Blog (which I agree isn't really a blog, so calling it a journal would be better I think)
Videos (which are often deleted from YouTube while still having links in PA. See the Savatage page)
ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 10:40
I FULLY agree with Ricochet on ALL his remarks. I won't repeat them here, only want to reinforce his opinion which is mine as well.

Hope this will get re-arranged soon.

Regards,

Daniel.
ZowieZiggy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 10:52
M@x is reviewing things..Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 11:34
Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I agree with Rico!

me three, and especially on the first two pointsClap
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 12:54
Another one here... the reviews at the home page are not nicely displayed, the paragraphs in text are missing, so it is not nice for reading. The text on the individual review page and on the band page are good though...!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 13:04
I have enjoyed all the changes made on this site except for the latest changes to the home page. I don't think blogs should be given so much attention, even if they are very intelligent and well written.
I really miss seeing the album reviews up front with the nice album pictures.
One of the things that attracted me to this site was the neatness and nice presentation of the album pictures.
There are other progressive sites that are probably closer to my definition of progressive rock, but I have stuck with this site because of the professional lay-out.
I still plan to stay with PA, but please bring back that nice professional look and put the album reviews on top again.
Thanks
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 14:08
I've got nothing to add. Rico hit just about everything, and Seyo brought up the paragraph problem. I'll just voice my agreement that something needs to be done.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 16:15
I just noticed the album pics on the album pages are stretched now to 300 pixel.
Not a good idea because most of the pics have only 200x 200px and therefore lose quality if they are displayed in this way ... Ouch

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 16:41
Great - you did it Clap

The order on the start page has changed ...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 17:12
Clap Looks like the bolds etc are back too, but the paragraphs are yet to be fixed.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 17:56
The front page shows now a fine order with the streaming and reviews in the top... just the way I like (and probably a high percentage of members here).

Clap
Guigo

~~~~~~
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 18:05
Yes Guigo - looks good - typography also changed because of the use of another font for the headlines - much better Thumbs%20Up

But once more - the pics on the album pages are not displayed well stretched to 300px

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>