Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTuxedomoon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuxedomoon
    Posted: December 07 2007 at 18:49
I' m a big prog fan. I been listening to a prog music about 30 years, from genesis, Jethro tull, ... K. Crimson...across avant guard ...Henry cow, later fusion, jazz, italian progg, Area, etc.
This is great site, but I think there is a band which should be added, at least a few of their albums: Tuxedomoon. Well, during their work they mixed a lot of genres, electronica, prog, jazz, classical music, but consider it. Why am I saying that, because here is also listed at least hundred of bands which are not progressive. So, add them.
And keep on going
Bye
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:04
It is a little-known fact that Tuxedomoon is in fact the Residents in disguise (or out of disguise, if you prefer).  

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:10
Tuxedomoon sounds like the name of a penguin-like Pokemon.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:19
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

It is a little-known fact that Tuxedomoon is in fact the Residents in disguise (or out of disguise, if you prefer).  

I find that easy to believe, I got to meet some of the Residents in the early 80s and I got the impression that a lot of the Ralph bands shared some of the same musicians.

I always thought the first couple Residents records sounded a lot like Fred Frith was involved, any info on that?

I know he is credited as a guest on the commercial album, but a lot of 3rd Reich n Roll sounds a lot like Frith.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:20
YOU MET THE RESIDENTS?!?!?!  HOLY CRAP!

Please give us the details. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:35
Oh really no big deal at all. I was working for a very creative metal works business in SF and my boss was one of those early 80s Nor Cal "new wave" mover shakers like the Simpson's character Hank Scorpio and he knew lots of various avant-garde types and apparently he knew some guys in the Residents and they wanted creative window bars for a 2 story flat close to where the Bay Bridge starts in SF.

The only funny part was when I walked in their place I pointed at some big sensi buds in the kitchen and accidentally knocked them on the floor ala Woody Allen and my boss rushed to pick them back up.

Anyway I got to talk to one or maybe two of them and they were really shy nice unassuming guys, very humble. They gave me a bunch of Ralph releases that weren't selling well because things were starting to head downhill for them at that point.

Anyway, I have often wondered if Frith was on those first records, it sure sounds like he is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:38
Did they have the masks on or could you see their faces? 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:46
No masks or any kind of "look" at all, by SF standards I would say they looked like total nerds or "squares".
He (they?, I think the other guy was a Resident) were totally unpretentious, especially by CA rock star standards.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:50
The band is Homer, Hardy, Jay, and John, right?  The original Cryptic Cooperation. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:58
I didn't catch any names at the time as far as I remember, but I have heard from another friend who had mutual friends of theirs that by the early to mid-80s the band was down to two of the four early members, a synth kybdst and a vocalist.

As far as the original band goes those names may be right, the name Homer sounds familiar in particular.

I still wonder about my Frith theory, it seems their music changed a lot after the first couple albums. It sure sounds to me like someone left the band after the first 3 or 4 albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 00:06
Well, the Residents attitude initially was to change styles dramatically and have no two albums sound alike, so that partially explains the changes in style.  The prevailing theory of Residents membership is that it was the Cryptic Corporation.  It was originally four guys: Homer, Hardy, Jay, and John, but by '82 Jay and John had left the Cryptic Corporation.  This would be consistent with your friend's observations and yours. 

I'm not sure about Frith.  While anything is feasible with the Residents, Frith was quite busy and poor around the releases of the first couple of Residents albums, and I'm not sure he had the time or the money to travel to the US to associate with the Residents. 

Edited by rileydog22 - December 08 2007 at 00:07

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 00:16
Interesting, yeah I think Homer is the vocalist.
Anyway, maybe it isn't Frith on those early records after all, I just hear some similarities in the way rhythms will collide in a collage like fashion and then morph into each other.
I always thought 3rd Reich n Roll really stood out compared to the rest of their output.

Edited by Easy Money - December 08 2007 at 00:17
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 16:46
Tuxedomoon are great and IMO should feel confortable within Avant Prog subgenre...
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 10:58
Could The Residents be responsible for the first Death Metal vocals on their version of the Stones Satisfaction? Wink
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I didn't catch any names at the time as far as I remember, but I have heard from another friend who had mutual friends of theirs that by the early to mid-80s the band was down to two of the four early members, a synth kybdst and a vocalist.

As far as the original band goes those names may be right, the name Homer sounds familiar in particular.

I still wonder about my Frith theory, it seems their music changed a lot after the first couple albums. It sure sounds to me like someone left the band after the first 3 or 4 albums.

i do know that frith made appearances on several residents albums. the commercial album was the earliest as far as i know.

anyway, i actually didn't know that about tuxedomoon and the residents. i am a huge residents fan and actually just started listening to tuxedomoon because i thought they were interesting. are there credible sources that support this?
victor77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 18:36
 I should say that Tuxedomoon is one of my favourite band ever, and it was a great pleasure for me haring them live after so many years. And much of his sound could fit well between punk-jaz and the NY downtown scene of the 80 and, later on with their unique new-wavw sound, their theatre works (The Ghost Sonata, one of his greatest records, is like a modern chamber worksuperb in delicacy). Very avantgardists in other records, tehy deserve a place in the site.

On the other hand, the relationship between The Residents and Tuxedomoon is not so clear to me, I think their musical backgrounds are a bit different, and so the particular sound of both bands. In fact, both bands have evolved separately, as far as I know
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 22:42
I'm bringing Tuxedomoon up with the RIO team, as I believe they have what it takes to be included on this site. 

SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 23:55
hm im listening to more of their stuff on myspace...and now i'm in danger of spending a lot of money. Big%20smile

my meager tuxedomoon collection (of 1 cd) is going to undergo a large expansion.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 00:01
I've heard the first Tuxedomoon album and have two further albums to listen too.  They certainly sound good to my ears, but I'm undecided on them for the moment.  I love the sax and the violin though.

Strangely, I was discussing The Residents with Rileydog earlier (I hadn't read this thread at the time) and thought how wonderful it would have been if they were members of Henry Cow and Thinking Plague/5uu's/U Totem.

Basically, Frith, Cutler, Drake and Kerman, however not all at the same time.

Cutler guested for The Residents too, but not on the same album as Frith.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 10:11
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

I'm bringing Tuxedomoon up with the RIO team, as I believe they have what it takes to be included on this site. 

I would strongly support you in that case! Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>