Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhenom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phenom
    Posted: December 21 2007 at 16:09

Interesting Indian band from Bangalore

http://wearephenom.com/

From the official website: “While Phenom "categorises" itself as a Classic and Progressive Rock band, their music really spans many genres, and the talented members of the group have never allowed "categories" to limit their experiements in music. An example of this is their instrumental "Resurgence", which appears to be a metal number, with underlying prog rhythms. Another is the deceptively "ethnic" startup of "Unbound", which then goes on to build into an awesome crescendo of rock, metal, prog and and strong melodic overtones. And just when you think you have their style pinned down, they come up with "A Little Step" - a song about peace that is so completely different in style, yet uniquely recognisable as a Phenom song... When asked about their influences, they mention Dream Theater and Rush (they joke that they have performed Rush's "Jacob's Ladder" more often on stage than Rush itself has), an assortment of sometimes obscure international names, but surprisingly also name several Indian groups, including Thermal and a Quarter, Zero and Motherjane.”

Their first EP (about 25 min. length) can be legally downloaded for free from the official website

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 08:16
Well, Andrea, this is proof that India has great musicians in our genre as well. I expect fans of bands like Pendragon will definitely find something of their liking here. These guys are skilled musicians, and the EP is of excellent quality.

I'm discussing in the Collaborators zone how we are going to deal with bands that distribute quality albums through the internet, using Creative Commons license and the likes. Once sorted, Phenom is a candidate to be proposed for inclusion from where I'm standing. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Angelo - December 26 2007 at 08:16
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 14:54
Just got an e-mail from Gaurav, Phenom's bass player. They are still in existence, but two of the band members are studying abroad, so they're 'lying low' right now. Gaurav will be here as a forum member in case we have any questions for the band!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 15:08

PHENOM's "debut EP" is really good... I hope they keep on playing...

By the way, while everyone on this site knows who are DT and Rush... ... What about the other Indian groups they mentioned as "influences" and the Indian prog scene?
gauravvaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 01:32
Hey Andrea and Angelo!

Thanks for checking us out and getting in touch! I am Gaurav, the bass player for the band Phenom.

To answer a few questions you guys have posted .. We are in existence but like Angelo said, we are lying low until we can figure out how to take this forward. Our drummer and Keyboardist are in the US studying (they are doing their Masters and PhDs in Robotics from UCLA) and once they are done, we should take stock of the situation and see what we can do.

The influences from India that we have listed on our website are some of the best bands from around here. You can check their music and I am sure you will love it!

I run a radio station called http://radioverve.com (RadioVeRVe) which plays only Indian Independent music, do check it out and let me know what you think of the site and the Indian music scene!
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 15:13
Will check it out Gaurav!
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 16:58
Phenom has been cleared for addition in Neo Progressive. Expect them to appear in the archives shortly.  Clap Clap Clap Clap ClapClap
ISKC Rock Radio
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:19
Should I move them? Wink
Guigo

~~~~~~
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 08:21
Please do, Guigo, Phenom were added to the archives 13 hours ago Smile

Edited by Angelo - January 12 2008 at 08:21
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply