Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Bee Gees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bee Gees
    Posted: December 21 2007 at 22:34
Once The Bee Gees wern't disco, instead they were a band that had songs with orchestration and harmonies.

That's why I think The Bee Gees should be a Proto-Prog Band. At least their first four albums have some prog-related music, especially "Every Christian Lion-Hearted Man Will Show You" and the album "Odessa".
Thank God for Kids who love Obscure Things.
Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 05:11

Personally, i can understand where you are coming from and the proposal is not as ludicrous as some might at first think.

Nevertheless, I don't think even their early stuff is sufficiently prog related to justify inclusion.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 10:19
They were truly prog on some of their deep album cuts on their first recordings but their hearts were in pop and that's what they are known for so I'd have to say that they are not qualified to be included here.  I do consider much of their music as a guilty pleasure, though.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 10:34
When I was a kid someone gave me this album, and I loved it. I have the version with "Spicks and Specks" on it, and all the songs are great IMHO. I also have 'Trafalgar' and 'Odessa' (and 'Saturday Night Fever', of course), and all of them are very enjoyable albums.

But the Bees Gees really were a pop band at heart, and any progressive leanings in their early music are just a reflection of the times and of Barry's ability to scavange and parrot pretty much any sound that he thought would sell a few records.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Sole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 09:22
Probably is a strange consequence of writing abilities. In my opinion (remember I don't understand totally the Prog) The Bee Gees is another example of a great Related Prog Related.
 Post Reply Post Reply