Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe first post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The first post
    Posted: December 24 2007 at 07:42

Well, im only 19, and i'm more into the heavy metal side of things really. In terms of my musical taste, well its somewhat shaped by my love of guitar playing, virtuoso electric guitar being my thing.                                                         

I mainly listen to thrash metal, power metal, a bit of classic metal, technical metal\technical death metal, Prog Metal, Prog Death metal, Instrumental Guitar virtuosos (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and others), Post Metal, Black Metal, Melodic Deah metal, jazz fusion of various kinds, and classical forms (baroque, classical, romantic, onwards etc)
All of these i guess have in common a greater sense of musical freedom than bog standard pop.
As for instrumental guitar its such a driving force for me as a guitarist, and its nice to see people like Joe satriani, Steve Vai and Buckethead challenge themselves with virtuosity on par with Progressive rock forms, and some of their compositions point to prog, some songs even easily falling into prog rock territory
But this is really a progressive tastes a bit more. Prog rock bands i love include Prog era Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Focus and i guess you can include Frank Zappa in there, even if his not entirely classed as prog, his music can be incredibly demanding nonetheless.
Prog Metal, geez, i simply love it. Dream Theater (of which i have tickets to the Melbourne show on Jan the 29th next year, their first time ever in Australia and i get to see themBig%20smile), Tool, Symphony X, Zero Hour, Agallcoh (also in the Dark metal genre, but still fairly proggy) Liquid Tension Experiment,  Outworld, John Petrucci (his solo album ,instrumental rock/prog rock/metal), and Prog Death such as Death, Opeth, Atheist and Cynic.
Also i'm really starting to fall in love with the Post Metal genre as well, bands like Isis, Pelican and Russian Circles
And i would imagine as i discover more bands and get around to listening to more, my list will grow in size.
And for all those on Progarchives.com, i hope to learn a lot from some of the older people on here that have been listening to progressive far longer than i have (ive been listening to progressive for roughly 3 and half years at this point)
Cheers and keep it Progging onSmile

Edited by HughesJB4 - June 16 2008 at 16:18
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 07:48
Welcome and enjoy your staying. We really need some people with "heavier" taste here. Wink
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 21:09
Welcome Smile
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 12:59
n000000000000000000000000000000000000000000b
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 13:01
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Prog Metal, geez, i simply love Dream Theater's Master of Puppets bootleg ( i have tickets to the Melbourne show on Jan the 29th next year, their first time ever in Australia and i get to see themBig%20smile, I really hope they play Master of Puppets in its entirety, I just can't get enough of it),

LOL
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 23:28
^I hate you MikeHug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 23:33
LOLTongueBig%20smile Almost as much as you love the MoP Bootleg? CoolLOLWink
 Post Reply Post Reply