FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolitics as Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 17:29
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I like the very latest reaction to the article originally posted; it appeared online yesterday or so:

"Funny how people criticize prog. Upper middle class? Hello? Joe Strummer was the son of a diplomat. While neither Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman of Yes were rich growing up.
Irreleveant? If that was true there would be no one buying their records today.
White Boys? Hendrix was going to join ELP if he hadn't died (and growing up he was far poorer than those punk bands. Also all the fusion bands were multinational (fusion is a subgenre of prog, there are loads of asian prog bands.Do any black punk bands exist? Punk is pretty much white.
Illusionary? I could argue that the punk bands pseudo lower class image and pretending to be tough was illusionary. After all the Pistols in truth were just a boy band created by McClaren and not a real lower class group.
Get your facts straight."

Cheesecakemouse, I guess it's by you; I agree with every word.
There's nothing 'masturbatory' about the best prog albums. Just the opposite: they're vibrant, witty, entertaining and sparkling with life.

Embarrassed You caught me red handed
flickfan82x View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 15:25
That's a pretty clever statement.
Mike Giles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 23:31
Punk sucks, its a fact!
Nothing he's got, he really needs. Twenty first century schizoid man.
MoreBarlow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 03:32
Progressive rock couldn't be politics. You'd either have to get rid of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gentle Giant, and Yes, or else make everything an oligarchy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Here's an analogy that might help you see party conferences for what they are - party politics is just like prog rock.

Both are pompous self-referential masturbatory activities undertaken by mostly middle-class white boys, which are meaningless and irrelevant to most people.

Though its fans and practitioners believe what they're doing is important and look down upon those who fail to appreciate this, the truth is that anyone with genuine intellect or taste is wholly alienated from the process.

Leaders' speeches or policy initiatives are like 20-minute guitar solos. They are not intended to connect with the outside world, or with facts and ideas, but are merely ways to impress the cognoscenti for a short while. (...)

Read more: http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2007/09/politics-as-pro.html

Although I do detect a 'twinkle in the eye of ClemofNazareth' here, as an analogy it is precisely on the nail. The vehemence of the responses merely confirms this, and if we wish to continue to delude ourselves that 'prog/PA' is NOT the 'intellectual property' of cosy and well educated white idiots then dream on progbuddys....Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12