Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest prog lyrics? (literary or otherwise)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best prog lyrics? (literary or otherwise)
    Posted: March 22 2008 at 04:03
here an exclusive preview to the lyrics of one of the songs from the upcoming album of the Bald Angels; they will show you what a strong lyricist Friede is. to me at least these lyrics totally evoke the scenery. the translation is included in the lyric sheet which comes with the album. (note the interesting rhyming pattern of the song: A-B-A-A-A-B)

Die Priesterin der Gäa                                                                        The Priestess of Gaia

Sie stand bei einem heil'gen Born                                                    She stood by a holy spring
In wallenden Gewändern                                                                    In seething robes.
Ihr Haupt war völlig kahlgeschor'n,                                                   Her head was completely shorn
Sie hielt ein großes Muschelhorn,                                                    She held a big conch horn,
Sie blies darauf der Erde Zorn                                                          On which she blew the wrath of earth
Und konnte doch nichts ändern.                                                       But couldn't change anything.

Sie blies ein Lied von Untergang                                                      She blew a song of ruin
Und schleichender Zerstörung.                                                         And creeping destruction.
Sie blies es viele Stunden lang,                                                        She blew it for many hours,
Jedoch des Muschelhornes Klang,                                                  But the sound of the conch horn,
In dem urzeit'geTrauer schwang,                                                      In which ancient sorrow rang,
Fand keinerlei Erhörung.                                                                    Was not heeded at all.

Sie hatte lange nicht geglaubt                                                           Long time she had not believed
An dieser Welt Verderben.                                                                  In the perdition of the world.
Dann ward der Wald des Laubs beraubt,                                       Then the wood was robbed of its foliage,
So kahl beinahe wie ihr Haupt,                                                         Almost as bald as her head,
Und was die Bäume so entlaubt,                                                     And what had defoliated the trees
Das war das Wäldersterben.                                                            Was the decease of the forests.

Es dämmerte der Abend schon,                                                      Evening was already dawning,
Die Nacht, sie rückte näher.                                                              Night was approaching.
Verklungen war des Hornes Ton,                                                    The horn's sound had faded away,
Verweht im Wind sein leeres Droh'n.                                              Its hollow threat blown with the wind.
Da hatte sie eine Vision                                                                     Then she had a vision
Der Göttermutter Gäa.                                                                        Of Gaia, the Mother Goddess.

Die Göttermutter Gäa sprach:                                                           The Mother Goddess spake:
"Ach, dass ich so geschändet!                                                         "Alas, how I have been defiled!
Womit verdien' ich diese Schmach,                                                 With what do I deserve this ignominy,
Womit dies große Ungemach?                                                        With what this huge adversity?
Fast liegt die ganze Erde brach!                                                       Almost all of Earth lies barren!
Wer weiß, wo das noch endet?                                                        Who knows where this will end?

Vielleicht in hundert Jahren schon,                                                  Maybe in but a hundred years,
Vielleicht sogar noch eher,                                                                Maybe even sooner,
Erhält die Menschheit ihren Lohn,                                                   Mankind will receive its reward,
Ganz ohne Absolution".                                                                      Without any absolution".
Damit verblasste die Vision                                                              Thus faded the vision
Der Priesterin der Gäa.                                                                      Of the Priestess of Gaia.

Sie sehnte nach den Hügeln sich                                                   She longed for the hills
Des Sonnenlandes Aea.                                                                   Of the sunland Aea.
Dann, als das Tageslicht entwich                                                   Then, as daylight eluded
Und in den heil'gen Hain sich schlich                                            And into the holy grove
Die Nacht, da weinte bitterlich                                                          Crept night, there wept bitterly
Die Priesterin der Gäa.                                                                      The Priestess of Gaia.

(Lyrics and translation by Friederike Greifswald-Tolleson)

this song is based on a dream we surprisingly both had. that we had shared a dream made such an impression on us that we founded the religion of which we are High Priestesses. it is the only song which features double lead vocals; I wrote 2 independent  voices for it. usually I just sing some harmony vocals

Edited by BaldJean - March 22 2008 at 15:54

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Nowhere Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 19:10
I've memorized all of the lyrics to A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers and The Sleepwalkers, but just about anything Peter Hammill writes is incredible.

At one time, I had all of the lyrics to the entire ITCOTCK album memorized. Not so much now. Moonchild throws me off because it doesn't rhyme, and each line sounds like it could go anywhere in the song.
Kim Ankara View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 17:08
Individual songs: "Sleepless" and "Neurotica" by King Crimson, "Time" by Pink Floyd. Reading Waters' words without the music, you realise how poetic and well-written they actually are. "Starless", also, so much detail and emotion in so little amount of words.

Albums: "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Misplaced Childhood". Both are full of amazingly-written phrases, it surprised me just how good a lyricist Fish was.

"I'm a dinosaur" - Adrian Belew

"I am a camera" - Trevor Horn

"I am yourself" - Keith Emerson
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 15:33
oh, and alot of Opeth ones.
And Frank Zappa's lyrics are always fun to listen to.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 15:32
Pink Floyd - Dogs, Echoes, Time...
VDGG - Man Erg

The best ones i can think of at the moment
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 14:59
Ian Anderson and Steve Wilson get my votes for best lyricists.  PT's softer songs (especially on In Absentia ie. Trains, Collapse The Light Into Earth, Heartattack in a Layby) are just beautifully crafted, and the same goes a lot of JT's lyrics.  Opeth and Pink Floyd also deserve mentioning.
Thomicas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 14:40
The lyrics for Roger Water's Amused To Death album beats everything I've heard so far. What he wrote on "Animals" is also among my favourite lyrics.

Collapes The Light Into Earth by Porcupine Tree is also among my favourites.
I tried to catch my eye, but I looked the other way
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 14:33
I think Waters' lyrics for Echoes (as with most of his lyrics) remain the best. Poetic, enigmatic, intelligent, beautiful, perfectly fit the music.

Quote Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise

The Fountain of Lamneth (even more so than Xanadu) is also one of my favourites. I think it's a rare instance where a fairly repetitive song is carried by superb lyrics rather than the other way round.

To be perfectly honest, I think Jon Anderson's lyrics are overrated, though they're fairly good for most of The Yes Album, Fragile and CTTE. I agree wholeheartedly with the earlier suggestions of Sinfield. I also like some of Steve Wilson's (of Porcupine Tree) lyrics, especially Waiting Phase One.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 11:54
Originally posted by Codis Codis wrote:

What about Gerald Bostock's masterpiece "Thick As A Brick"?  Or "A Passion Play"?

I love A PASSION PLAY, but I get irritated by its lyrics. "She lay her head upon my disbelief" - oh, come ON!
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 11:54
Originally posted by Codis Codis wrote:

What about Gerald Bostock's masterpiece "Thick As A Brick"?  Or "A Passion Play"?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 10:46
Please only quote example extracts of lyrics. They are covered by copyright in the same way as the music is.
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 10:40
I'm not sure if this goes here, since it's technically crossover prog, but "Here comes the Flood" is simply outstanding! Particularly emotional in the growing up DVD.

And although I'm not a fan of tool, I have to say Lateralus was great! That song is fantastic.
Codis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 08:44
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 08:31
People have already said PoS's Remedy Lane, but I'd add The Perfect Element to that as well. Other songs/albums I love the lyrics too:

Opeth- The Drapery Falls
Saens- Babel Lights, XX84
Marillion- Brave (whole album), Estonia, The Invisable Man, The Party, Somewhere Else
Dream Theater- The Mirror, Voices
Genesis- The Kniefe, Firth of Fifth, Can-Utility and the Coastliners, Get 'Em Out By Friday, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight
Pain of Salvation- Entropia, One Hour by the Concrete Lake, BE
Pinl Floyd- Darkside of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall
King Crimson- Starless, Easy Money
Van der Graaf Generator- Lost, Pioneers Over C, Man Erg, Lemmings, The Emporer in His War Room, Every Bloody Emporer, Nutter Alert
Threshold- Turn on Tune in, Narcissus, Paradox, Sanity's End, The Latent Gene, Pilot in the Sky of Dreams
Tool- Vicarius, Parabol/Parabola, Wings for Mary/ 10 000 Days (Wings for Mary Pt2)

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 06:07
Hmmm... 'Keep it simple' seems to be the best policy. I agree with Progfrog and Progbagel that Roger Waters used to be a highly efficient lyricist, on "Dogs" in particular. When you grow up with a track like that, you can never get it out of your head. The same goes for SELLING ENGLAND and THE LAMB LIES DOWN, at least for me, but here it's not so much the message that appeals to me but rather PG's baroque word-play! I also enjoy AQUALUNG, and even MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY (particularly the lyrics on the B-side), but as I indicated once before, Ian Anderson can be rather vague sometimes, and you hear him thinking: "Oh, the cleverness of me!"

I have similar problems with Pete Hammill: he's far too verbose. When you just see his words printed, they do not convince, but they really come alive through his extraordinary performances.

Someone mentioned the Canterbury Scene. Well, Robert Wyatt and his partner Alfreda Benge can be very, very good - particularly on SHLEEP, CUCKOOLAND and - dammit, what was last year's album called again? No showing off, just evoking sad, dreamy, confused, angry moods. Superb!
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 02:35
Definitely Peter Hammil, the way he was able to capture so many emotions with his lyrics was so powerful.
For specific songs, Childlike Faith in Childhood's End comes to mind, as to A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and Refugees also come to mind, but most of their songs will do anyway.
But the main point is, read the lyrics to Childlike Faith in Childhood's End, it's a brilliant pondering of life after death.

Existence is a stage on which we pass,
a sleepwalk trick for mind and heart:
it's hopeless, I know,
but onward I must go
and try to make a start
at seeing something more than day-to-day
survival chased by final death.
Peter's a pretty wordy guy but it's worth it to read them all.

Post edited, please see my later post

Edited by Easy Livin - January 13 2008 at 10:45
Ahmadbarqawi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 02:26

hmm for me its:

1- all lyrics by the band "Tinyfish"
2- Anathema (especially the albums "Judgement" &  "Eternity")
3- I think Geoff Tate is a master of this craft especially on the early Queensryche albums
4- Paul O'niel (Producer of Savatage) is a great Lyricist

& you might as well check out an album by "viggo mortensen" (the guy from the lord of the rings), i know its not prog but its basically Poetry set to music done by Buckethead & you might find some interesting stuff in there...

& speaking of Poetry; how about the doors?
{Flashlights shade shrunken views
Of a red demon’s foxtrot in brews
Guns & flowers crown morning news
Panic-stricken guilt now ensues}
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 02:02
I find the lyrics in ELP's Tarkus (while breaf) to be very powerful

Has the dawn ever seen your eyes?
Have the days made you so unwise?
Realize, you are.

Had you talked to the winds of time,
Then you'd know how the waters rhyme,
Taste of wine,

How can you know where you've been?
In time you'll see the sign
And realize your sin.

Will you know how the seed is sown?
All your time has been overgrown,
Never known.

Have you walked on the stones of years?
When you speak, is it you that hears?
Are your ears bone?

You can't hear anything at all.

If that's not eloquence, i dont know what is...

By the way, good luck in your writing.
Zwerg Bart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 00:26
I am also a huge fan of Akerfeldt's lyrics.

There's some great stuff on Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica. I particularly like the line: "her lovin' makes me so happy, if I smiled I'd crack my chin."
"Freud's cranium is a snail!" - Dali
Jshutt64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 23:18
Of course I'm biased, but Opeth's lyrics really do it for me. Mikael's grasp of the English language is nothing short of amazing...and the themes he puts in his songs are very satisfying.

The entire album of "Still Life" has my favorite lyrics ever. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>