Topic ClosedAll About Floyd Rose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: All About Floyd Rose
    Posted: January 16 2008 at 07:57
questions:
1. what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a floyd rose?
2. what are the tricks u can do with a floyd rose which u cannot do with a regular bridge?
3. I'm in a funk band. is it advisable to use a guitar with floyd? or should i stick to the regular bridge?

i really need your opinions. thank you.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 08:23

Well, im going to assume your talking about just Floyd Rose originals/Pros and the Licensed FLoyd Roses designed structurally the same i.e leave out Ibanez and Steinberger trems for now.

The Floyd Roses most serious advantage over the classic 6 screw Fender Tremolo (or any Bigsby trem for that matter), is the seriously good tuning stability. A friend of mine has a Jackson DK2S with a Jackson JT580 Low Profile Licensed tremolo, and the guitar can stay in tune for up to 5 days without having to be tuned. Typically that is without using the vibrato arm, in which the guitar will stay in tune for about 3 days with heavy whammy bar abuse. The reasons it goes out of tune slightly faster in this instance is the micro slippage between the locking nut, the tuners, and the locking bridge saddles.
The Floyd Rose also has much greater range of movement than a Fender trem (including the twin point Fender design), allowing for bigger dive bombs, and in the case of guitars with a recessed trem cavity, up to 4 semitones of up bend on the low E string.
Disadvantages are a loss of sustain compared to fixed bridge guitars, (but all trem systems are like that to some degree), plus a learning curve and much more work to change strings. Also invevitably the knife edge pivot points/posts wear out, leading the trem to no longer return to the center, which means the trem will possibly no longer return to tune after using the bar.
I normally use high gain (as a shred/metal player of course), some of the tricks being pinch harmonics/natural harmonics and dive bombs, sounding sort of like a descending squeal if you wil. You can make what is called a Gargling sound by flicking the bar, and you bend down to certain notes and bend up to certain notes in a very musical fashion like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani (something I'm not quite good at lol).
Given your in a funk band, unless you plan on playing much lead guitar in high gain, then it's probably not for you. Also of note, is that the best users of the whammy bar have had years of experience, because it's a lot harder than many people think to make really good use of a whammy bar.
Lastly, be prepared to spend anywhere between 15 to 30 mins for the string changing process (sometimes longer if you need to adjust intonation, which is necessary every few months i find). So if you don't intend on using it frequently, you probably cannot justify the Floyd Rose. Also bear in mind they need more maintanence than a Fender type trem, such as more lubricating and cleaning for it too last longer. If you would like some more information on Ibanez guitars, which have locking trems that sustain better, and are easier to maintain, don't be hesitiant to ask.

Edited by HughesJB4 - January 16 2008 at 08:46
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 09:47
Here's my post from the "whammy bars" thread once again, because it also makes sense here:

I really like playing guitars which have vibrato systems, but currently I have a hardtail ESP guitar because it's simply much easier to handle - not only when changing the strings, but also simply to keep it in tune. If you use a Floyd Rose style system extensively, it will soon (a few months) go out of whack and require ex(t/p)ensive repairs. The most common problem is that the edges of the bridge block will become blunt ... and since the tension of the low strings differs from that of the high strings, the whole thing becomes unstable. One common effect of this problem is that your guitar will go out of tune once you move the vibrato bar away from the guitar (increasing pitch). Move it towards the body (decreasing pitch), release it - and it's back in tune.

Another unpleasant side effect of the Floyd Rose system is that when you're playing palm muted notes the pressure of the palm often results in out of pitch notes, especially when you're using thin strings / little tension.

And finally there's the problem of the loose bar ... that's another major pain in the anus. In order to use the vibrato bar to create tasty, subtle vibrato the bar has to fit very tightly ... yet at the same time it should be easy to move (rotate). That's a problem with most systems ... if you tighten the bar so that you can use it effectively for very subtle vibrato then you can hardly rotate it anymore, if you loosen it so you can rotate it comfortably it will "jiggle" so that it's use becomes limited to extreme vibrato or sound effects like dive bombs.

And BTW: It's *not* a tremolo system ... tremolo is an alteration of volume. Vibrato is the correct word (alteration of pitch).GeekWink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 21:46
Fortunately MikeEnRegalia filled in some gaps that weren't at the top of my head at the time. I myself don't own a guitar with a Floyd Rose, i regularly play my friends Jackson DK2S, 3 to 5 times a week, which in return for me playing, I maintain, restring and set up the Floyd. He got this guitar last May, so i have become fairly well aquainted the Floyd and it's functions and capabilities.
MikeEnRegalia mentions the effect of palm muting on the bridge which causes notes to be out of the intended pitch. This phenomenon occurs with all floating tremolos, be it a Fender Twin Point Synchronised Tremolo, Wilkinson/Gotoh VS-100 and the Floyd Rose, Licensed varieties and Ibanez locking trems. I play lots of heavy palm muted riffs (think Testament, Megadeth, and of course being a Prog site, Dream Theater and Tool) and i tend to reduce the issue of the bridge moving too much when i palm mute by setting the Tremolo springs fairly taut, with the disadvantage being the Tremolo arm will be somewhat stiffer i.e harder to depress, but this is something i have gotten used to, and is a fair trade off to minimise bridge movement during palm muting.
Another disadvantage of all tremolo systems, is that when you bend one string, the others will go flat, but this effect is more pronounced on floating tremolos. This is something that, again, i have gotten used to, and it's also possible to use it to your advantage. This effect can minimised to some degree by setting the tremolo springs fairly taut.
One thing to bear in mind, is that the majority, if not all, Licensed Floyd Roses generally do not last as long as the systems manufactured by Floyd Rose itself, due to various factors, the main one being Licensed trems more often than not are made of less durable metals/ or lower grades of steel, or both.
While there is still more information and advice to share, as it looks brogan , I'm going to have to ask you a few more questions. What other styles of music do you like to play outside of your band situation? Are there any particular brands of guitar you want to buy, or will you be happy with any good guitar that is locking trem equipped? Do you already have a guitar you would like to retrofit a locking trem too?
If it happens you like to play Joe Satriani, Steve Vai or even Van Halen, then the the answer of whether you need a locking trem is already yes. If it happens you do not play that style of music, but are seriously willing to want to try out some serious whammy bar tricks, then the answer is most probably yes.
Note: Vibrato is the correct term as MikeEnRegalia pointed out, but in guitar culture Tremolo has become incredibly common and has been for some time to describe Vibrato Systems, to the point where it not considered wrong to call it a tremolo system.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 21:57
Eddie found that after using it he often had to "tweak" the bar (by nudging or tapping it) on his many Floyd Roses to re-intonate the strings.. this was of course after much time getting familiar with it

..funk band?  Kahler might be a bit more suited to your needs (though it's a fairly complex system with adjustable screws for each setting; height, tension, width, etc.) -- http://aampselectricguitarstore.com/kahler-trem/kahler-hybrid-7200.html 

Jshutt64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 00:59
I'll just keep it pretty simple.

1. what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a floyd rose?

Well, the advantages are many and the disadvantages are few but can be annoying. First of all, it is my opinion that the Floyd Rose is one of the best bridges on the market. The tremolo is amazing, and you can't get the variety of sounds that you can with the Floyd with any other device. And also, your strings don't come out of tune constantly as the with other tremolos! And, I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but when using hte Floyd Rose, you can actually reuse a broken string if it's long enough, because you don't actually need the ball of the string. The disadvantages are mainly in restringing. It sucks. Bad. And if you don't set it up right the first time, you're pretty much f'ed and have to unlock it and start all over again. It can really be a pain...but, it's part of the package.

2. what are the tricks u can do with a floyd rose which u cannot do with a regular bridge?

The most notable is of course, the dive bomb. With a Floyd Rose, you can do a dive bomb and it will sound absolutely fantastic (since the bridge is floating and can go both ways). With other bridges, it will not sound as good if you can do it at all. That is the biggest thing for me when it comes to the Floyd.

3. I'm in a funk band. is it advisable to use a guitar with floyd? or should i stick to the regular bridge?
I actually am going to advise you to stick with the regular bridge. The benefits of the Floyd Rose in funk would not outweigh the gayness of setting it up and maintaining it when something goes wrong. And since in funk the tremolo isn't used that often (mainly wah for effect), it's just not worth it.

However, if you join a metal band...get the Floyd Rose. It's almost a prerequisite. Big%20smile

Hope I was of some help! By the way, I play an Ibanez RG 570 with a Floyd Rose.

SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 18:16

Plus, if you decide to go with a thicker set of strings and keep it at standard tuning, the tension is much greater which will yank on the floyd making it unparallel with the body. I didn't know how to adjust the floyd when doing this at the time so it was really frustrating.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 18:39
Brogan never came back and replied to any of our responsesUnhappy. Maybe he just gave up on the idea and went for a fixed bridge or Fender style 6 scew tremolo instead..........................
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 19:05

I remember seeing a long while back a variation of the floyd where it was a floating tremolo, but even if it were destringed it was still leveled.

Edited by SpaceMonkey - February 03 2008 at 19:06
rudderhead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 20:19
Did you know that Floyd Rose also had a heavy metal band of his own called Q5.
Its good. Theyve got a record called Steel the Light. Its a like a cross between Dio and ACDC
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 01:22
^Some strange trivia there, didn't think he did anything but make tremolos all day longTongue
That Brogan guy isn't coming back is he..................................................................
 Post Reply Post Reply