Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimmy Hastings live on stage!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimmy Hastings live on stage!
    Posted: January 17 2008 at 11:27
The following may be of interest to all admirers of the Canterbury Scene!

Jimmy Hastings is now a regular member of the band of veteran British jazz player Humphrey Lyttelton (87) and has been for a number of years.

I would not normally attend a Humprey Lyttelton concert, especially since his music seems to appeal mainly to an older generation (the average age of his audiences is at least 62!) but when one of my best friends (who's only 30, and who loves Lyttelton's radio programmes and books) asked me to come along, I went!

The concert actually took place in Oxford (U.K.) last night, and it was great fun: superbly executed Duke Ellington-style jazz, with splendid solos by Littleton and his colleagues on trumpet, saxes, clarinets, trombone, piano, bass and drums.

(All you progheads out there, Lyttelton even told the audience that he and his band had guested on one of Radiohead's albums, and on some of that band's gigs.)

But the greatest thrill for me personally was seeing the inimitable Jimmy Hastings standing there on stage, right next to the master, and to hear him playing saxes, clarinet and (best of all) a little flute.

I guess you don't need to be reminded that many of the most delightful moments on the classic Caravan / Hatfield / National Health CDs (as well as Chris Squire's FISH OUT OF WATER) were delivered by Jimmy... I'm glad to tell you that he still plays as subtly and melodiously as ever. His sound is thoroughly lovable and instantly recognisable... But the interesting thing is, he seems to be an incredibly modest man; I had the feeling he was hugging the limelight far less than the other wind soloists in the band, but that's partly, of course, because I couldn't get enough of him...

Anyway, if the Humphrey Lyttelton band ever come to a theatre near you (let's hope Lyttelton still has many decades of playing in him!), do go and see them - you won't regret it!
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 07:18
I saw a program on Television the other week about Humph and they were showing clips of his current band, including Jimmy Hastings.  However, they showed very few clips of Jimmy himself, rather they focused on the female saxophonist and Humph himself.

Still, it looked and sounded excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply