FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew prog supergroup with album on the way

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New prog supergroup with album on the way
    Posted: March 25 2005 at 05:04

From an e-mail I received today from CD -services (they tend to gush a bit so to be taken with a pinch of salt):

K2 - ''Book of The Dead''

A prog fan's dream album and the first REAL prog supergroup since UK!!! We present multi-instrumentalist and Peter Gabriel sound-a-like Shaun Guerin, ex-UK guitarist Alan Holdsworth, drummer extraordinaire Doug Sanborn, keyboardist/synths player Ryo Okumoto and violinist Yvette Devereaux on a magnificent sounding album of pure progressive rock at its absolute best. K2 sound similar to and as good as anything UK ever did and not that far from classic Genesis either, with a feel that's firmly rooted in the 70's, while at the same time sounding just incredible. With 5 tracks over forty-six minutes, the band get more than their fair chance to shine, yet the sum of the parts makes a whole that is breathtakingly spectacular. The songs are the best you'll have heard since any number of vintage and classic British 70's prog albums, with a vocal that is pure Gabriel-esque in terms of its sound, its passion, even its phrasing, and on compositions as amazingly written and arranged as t!
his, it's as close to prog heaven as you'll get. But that's by no means the whole story - we're talking Holdsworth's guitar work at its most prog-sounding and expressive best, melodic, fluid, flowing and it's like UK all over again. The drumming is every bit as good too, as Bruford or Bozzio, even a mix of the two, while Okumoto & Devereaux provide a sea of synthesizers, Mellotrons and violin, just soaring and flying in ways that will leave you jaw-dropped in admiration and stunned as to the brilliance of it all! The album itself is, in the fine traditions of the best 70's releases, a "concept album", written and arranged by Ken Jaquess. The opening track is a staggeringly fine twenty-three minute epic that will occupy a place by your player for years to come with its fantastic symphonic keyboards intro and many twists and turns along the way, sheer flowing construction and impassioned delivery, making it the 'Supper's Ready' of the new millennium. Everything about this trac!
k oozes pure class and quality, but, more than that, the sheer spectacle of hearing the synths, vocals, rhythm section, electric guitar and violin played like THIS, is nothing short of spine-tingling stuff! The 2nd track has an intro that will leave you swearing you've been transported back to the heady days of the 70's, while the main body of the song has a similar effect. The sound swirls all around you and it's like having classic Genesis playing in your living room at times - it's monumental and then some, nearly seven minutes of utter prog bliss. What follows is like a delicious collision of UK and Genesis with 3 tracks running for seven, three and six minutes, and these just put the icing on the already sumptuous cake. In short, 'Book Of The Dead' is magnificent - one of the best "seventies prog-rock" sounding albums ever made - and it's only thirty-three years late!!! So worth the wait, you'll want it yesterday!

Edited by richardh
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 03:19
I'm looking forward to hearing this, too. Ken Jaquess' other band, Atlantis (on hiatus) had a great second CD with Pray For Rain.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 04:17

Danbo has posted some comments about this CD on the ''Featured CD'' part of the forum.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4628&a mp;PN=1

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 15:06
My good lord...

This sounds too good to be true...
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 19:54

Hey, I didn't see this thread before... Huh!

Anyway, I think the promo may be a little over the top. K2 is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, and that's coming from one o' the biggest Holdsworth fans on the planet. It is good, very good, but it's not a masterpiece and aside from Allan's guitar and some violin touches, I don't hear U.K. Ryo's keyboards are too far back into the mix to give it the Jobson treatment and thus, give the U.K. impression. Shaun Guerin is as close to Peter Gabriel as anyone I've heard, but that, for me, isn't a selling point. Ken Jaquess bass playing is very unique, almost like a fingerstyle acoustic guitarist, rather then the Squire/Jaco/Lee styles copped by most prog bassists. Very unusual.

It's still worth the money. 3.5 stars.

Post Reply Post Reply