FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Plant dismisses RH and RHCP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 17:46
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Like Thom Yorke, and the Peppers, give a rip what an old has-been thinks.  Can't wait to hear Yorke's rebuttal when the papers ask him for a quote.  Or Flea's for that matter.

They won't say sh*t. They'll be like... "Well, Zep does own us."
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 19:22
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Like Thom Yorke, and the Peppers, give a rip what an old has-been thinks.  Can't wait to hear Yorke's rebuttal when the papers ask him for a quote.  Or Flea's for that matter.

They won't say sh*t. They'll be like... "Well, Zep does own us."

They might my friend.  Still, Plant is an overpaid rock singer whose done nothing of any value since Presence 32 years ago.  He hardly has any basis to criticize Radiohead.  I mean, of course he has the right to diss anyone like everybody else does.  It's just ironic that he would put down a talented band when he released things like "shaken and stirred" or whatever the title was. 

Plant is about as lucky as they come, having been handed a gift career from Pagey.   And hey, I like Zep man!!  Just saying!! Wink

hasheten View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 19:42
LOL, cant say i blame him, i also  hated radiohead, but recently i grew a lot of respect for what they do, and it takes a lot of guts for a Brand like radiohead to release an album for practially no profit online these days.  but the Chilis please theyre outdated by at least a decade, not to say bloodsugarsexmagik wasnt one of the greatest albums ever but theyre really really commercial now and ive lost much, much respect for them with kiedis's childish rock star tantrums.
the new food bible for anarchist cookbooks (check me out on blogger)
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 19:48
Practically no profit?  I bet Radiohead made as much off of this one as any of their other albums, maybe more.  

laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 19:53
Dude, if I released The Bends, part 2, I'D be a millionaire.

radiohead are serious artists and disdain wealth
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 22:32

They might my friend.  Still, Plant is an overpaid rock singer whose done nothing of any value since Presence 32 years ago.  He hardly has any basis to criticize Radiohead.  I mean, of course he has the right to diss anyone like everybody else does.  It's just ironic that he would put down a talented band when he released things like "shaken and stirred" or whatever the title was. 

Plant is about as lucky as they come, having been handed a gift career from Pagey.   And hey, I like Zep man!!  Just saying!! Wink

He has his right to his opinion like you said, and people who speak their minds are always welcome. And of course with such brilliant album names like The Bends, Kid A, Com Lag, and the like, who could deny that RadioHead is in fact brilliant, based on that. Whenever I hear one of their albums you have to pinch me. So I'll wake up.
  Oh, and when Page picked Plant to front his "new" band, he could have had his pick of just about any singer, and he chose Plant. So either Page can't pick them, or he saw something you've missed... I'll go with Page. Smile
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 22:44
Originally posted by khammer99 khammer99 wrote:

He has his right to his opinion like you said, and people who speak their minds are always welcome. And of course with such brilliant album names like The Bends, Kid A, Com Lag, and the like, who could deny that RadioHead is in fact brilliant, based on that. Whenever I hear one of their albums you have to pinch me. So I'll wake up.
  Oh, and when Page picked Plant to front his "new" band, he could have had his pick of just about any singer, and he chose Plant. So either Page can't pick them, or he saw something you've missed... I'll go with Page. Smile

I think he picked fine for what he needed.  Just saying Plant's talents are woefully overblown to be dissing other talented musicians....baby baby baby baby baby....i gotta big, big, big....egoooooo......
LOL

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 23:26
RP has confirmed what I always thought but was afraid to admit to myself...I always hoped that RH and RHCP were a glimmer of hope for quality music. Even as I liked those bands in the early 90's, I just don't crave them anymore. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, still sounds as good now as they did when I first heard them.

The funny part is, when Flea or Thom Yorke utter a comment about a band while drinking, it doesn't earn a press release.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 23:52
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

RP has confirmed what I always thought but was afraid to admit to myself...I always hoped that RH and RHCP were a glimmer of hope for quality music. Even as I liked those bands in the early 90's, I just don't crave them anymore. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, still sounds as good now as they did when I first heard them.

The funny part is, when Flea or Thom Yorke utter a comment about a band while drinking, it doesn't earn a press release.

I don't play either band much anymore either, though I still think BSSM is a pretty damn good album.  And I think some of Frusciante's solo stuff is good.  Has anyone heard his "DC" EP?  Always thought those 4 songs were pretty amazing and emotional. 

I was fanatic Zep head years ago.  Now I can only play the first one, Physical, and Presence for pleasure.  The other stuff just hasn't held up as well for me, even as good as it is.  And this re-union is killing my waning interest in them for sure.  I always hoped they would keep their word...as did several of my friends who are already wincing at the thought of the hype. 

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 00:02
the sad reality is that the Chili Peppers for better or worse ARE the Zeppelin of the modern era
name one band with even similar status

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 00:15
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

the sad reality is that the Chili Peppers for better or worse ARE the Zeppelin of the modern era
name one band with even similar status

You're right.  Cept more like the Stones of the modern era.  Zep managed 12 years, the Peppers have been going for what, about 25 years?   They're chasing the Stones!

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 00:51
Not a big fan of either RH or RHCP....but to hear utter crap, slap on Manic Nirvana or Now and Zen.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 01:13
^ Ship of Fools is great though. Besides, Plant made his best albums recently (Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger). HCP, on the other hand, have stripped their songs of any lushness they had on By the Way to the skeleton, half-finished blow-ff tracks on Stadium Arcadium. Such a bad turn.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 01:22

Agree 100% that Plant has finally woken up over the past decade....think it began with Fate of Nations (not a classic by a long shot, but this points the way to the sound he's developed since - more folky, rootsy, and a bit of world music tossed in the mix).  I really dig Dreamland....wish more people had heard it.  I also really dug his Priory of Brian side project....used to turn Donovan and Tim Buckley into great jams.

But, man, everything before Nations, to me, can be dismissed....even the first two or three solo records.  Yeah, there's great stuff all over the three, but there's also some cringeworthy stuff as well.  Just uneven albums as a whole....c'mon, I'm in the Mood compared to Darkness, Darkness (from Dreamland) - he's come a long way to find his own sound.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12