Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuarteto 1111

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quarteto 1111
    Posted: February 08 2008 at 19:07

It is quite impossible to speak of rock music in Portugal without mentioning Quarteto 1111. The same applies for Portuguese Prog. Quarteto 1111, under the leadership of José Cid, were perfectly aware of foreign music trends, especially those of the U.K.. While their main musical influence was The Beatles, they did not emulate the Fab 4’s sound and rather created a new one by merging pop and psychedelic sonorities with traditional Portuguese music. After a few changes in line-up, they would go on to produce Cid’s “Onde Quando Como Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas”, their final LP, which was an astonishing piece of Progressive Rock for Portuguese standards, only overshadowed by the later José Cid solo effort “10.000 Depois entre Vénus e Marte”. 

Prog genre: PROTO-PROG/PSYCHEDELIC/SYMPHONIC/ECLECTIC/CROSSOVER

Official Website: NO OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Artist/band biography:

The original formation, made up by Miguel Artur da Silveira (drums), José Cid (vocals and keyboards) and brothers António Moniz Pereira (guitar) and Jorge Moniz Pereira (bass guitar), began work as a garage-band. In 1967 they get radio airplay with the theme “A Lenda d’El Rei D. Sebastião”. Shortly after they launched their first EP.

The time spent between their first EP and their first LP was spent producing other EP’s and singles, as well as taking part in a national Song Contest.

1970 sees the launch of the band’s homonymous debut album, a psychedelic-pop conceptual piece dealing with racism and emigration. The dictatorship’s censoring machine has the album withdrawn the very same week of its launch. After this event, the band lauched further singles, this time sung in English as to better evade censorship. After a great commercial success with the singles “Back to the Country” and “Ode to The Beatles”, they are asked to appear on the first edition of the now famous Vilar de Mouros music festival, along with popular names from the Portuguese traditional music scene, such as Amália Rodrigues, but from the international scene as well, such as Elton John and Manfred Mann. It was in this encounter with Manfred Mann that Cid first got to know the Moog.

After a few changes in line-up, the band, still under the eye of the censorship, records it’s second LP with a popular Portuguese singer, Frei Hermano da Câmara. Cid decides to leave the group after the album, but reunites with the band after the revolution that reinstated democracy in Portugal and marked the end of the censors. With the new line-up of José Cid (vocals and keyboards), Guilherme Inês (drums), António Moniz Pereira (guitar), Mike Sergeant (guitar) and Tó Zé Brito (bass guitar), they record Quarteto 1111’s magnus opus, the two-piece symphonic album “Onde Quando Como Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas”. This was to become the last LP by the band, as Cid abandoned the group to pursue a very successful solo career that began with an adventurous but ill-received incursion further into Progressive Rock.

In mid eighties the original band got together for a few performances and managed to put out one final single in 1987, “Memo”.

Quarteto 1111 have a short but varied career. The began by playing a kind of psychelic pop in the vein of Brazilian acts like Ronnie Von and Os Mutantes, while their later work is closer to Symphonic Rock and the path José Cid would follow with the single "Vida" and the album "10.000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus e Marte". 

Discography:

QUARTETO 1111 (1970)

BRUMA AZUL DO DESEJADO (with FREI HERMANO DA CÂMARA) (1973)

ONDE, QUANDO, COMO, PORQUÊ, CANTAMOS PESSOAS VIVAS (1974)

Singles:

Meu Irmão/Ababilah (1968)

Nas Terras Do Fim Do Mundo/Bissaide (1969)

Génese/Os Monstros Sagrados (1969)

Todo O Mundo E Ninguém/É Tempo De Pensar Em Termos De Futuro (1970)
Back To The Country/Everybody Needs Love, Peace And Food (1970)

Ode To The Beatles/1111 (1971)

Sabor A Povo/Uma Nova Maneira De Encarar O Mundo (1972)

Memo/Os Rios Nasceram Nossos (1987)

Song samples available on request. Sound quality is less than good. 

Edited by Kotro - February 09 2008 at 05:51
Bigger on the inside.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 16:17
Send to Eclectic.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 02:32
Nice work with the suggestion, you mentioned "song samples available on request". Can we...request them? Tongue

Edit #1: Found myself a compilation of singles and EPs. Is that good to be listened (for submission, I mean)?

Edit #2: Uhm, nevermind, in the end I've also found some links to their full albums.

I'll listen. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Ricochet - February 16 2008 at 02:37
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 06:06
Okay, have listened to both albums I've mentioned above.

Shall we try Symphonic Prog? (the singles/EPs, I think, don't have anything to do with prog music, they're early beat, pop, rock music - but their full studio albums sound like real progressive treats; from what I've heard in the beautiful, peaceful, orchestral and progressive Cantamos Pessoas Vivas, Symphonic sounds like a natural style)

I haven't managed to listen to anything else, so I can't tell anything about the "psychedelic" music that was mentioned.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 11:21
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Okay, have listened to both albums I've mentioned above.Shall we try Symphonic Prog? (the singles/EPs, I think, don't have anything to do with prog music, they're early beat, pop, rock music - but their full studio albums sound like real progressive treats; from what I've heard in the beautiful, peaceful, orchestral and progressive Cantamos Pessoas Vivas, Symphonic sounds like a natural style)I haven't managed to listen to anything else, so I can't tell anything about the "psychedelic" music that was mentioned.

They were originally submitted to Symphonic, but the samples we had led us to reject them. Would hearing an entire album change our minds?

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 11:41
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Okay, have listened to both albums I've mentioned above.Shall we try Symphonic Prog? (the singles/EPs, I think, don't have anything to do with prog music, they're early beat, pop, rock music - but their full studio albums sound like real progressive treats; from what I've heard in the beautiful, peaceful, orchestral and progressive Cantamos Pessoas Vivas, Symphonic sounds like a natural style)I haven't managed to listen to anything else, so I can't tell anything about the "psychedelic" music that was mentioned.

They were originally submitted to Symphonic, but the samples we had led us to reject them. Would hearing an entire album change our minds?

I don't know.
What did the Team hear, as samples?

Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 12:38
My opinion is that they could only be placed as Symphonic or Ecletic, because the majority of their music is not psychadelic, in terms of activity years they're not Proto-prog, and I don't think they can be classified as Crossover prog.

I think you should listen to the whole album, particularly "Onde, Quando,...", because it's just one song and I consider this one as Symphonic, as i don't think their discography has what's said as being ecletic:
"The term 'eclectic' in the context of progressive rock describes a summation of elements from various musical sources, and the influences and career paths of bands that take from a wide range of genres or styles".
It must not be forgotten the concept in this album: a musical celebration of the freedom that the country had gained (25th April 1974). 
Excluding the considerations about what subgenre, I think we agree this band must be listed in PA because Quarteto 1111 is part of the concept that people and critics have of what portuguese prog rock was.

Edited by Philip - February 17 2008 at 07:10
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 13:29
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

I think you should listen to the whole album, particularly "Onde, Quando,...", because it's just one song and I consider this one as Symphonic, as i don't think it has what's said as being ecletic:
"The term 'eclectic' in the context of progressive rock describes a summation of elements from various musical sources, and the influences and career paths of bands that take from a wide range of genres or styles".
It must not be forgotten the concept in this album: a musical celebration of the freedom that the country had gained (25th April 1974). 
Excluding the considerations about what subgenre, I think we agree this band must be listed in PA because Quarteto 1111 is part of the concept that people and critics have of what portuguese prog rock was.

and in lieu of a whole album.. since I'm sure everyone would hate to see a deserving band not added simply because material is hard to locate... that is when you trust the other forum members.. and also research.

First hit on a google seach....  shame this band has been kicked around and forgotten for what...months and months.

Quarteto 1111 [Portugal]
Updated 6/22/07
Discography
Quarteto 1111 (70)
Bruma Azul do Desejado (73)
Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê, Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (74)
Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (99)

Reviews
Quarteto 1111 was the first symphonic rock band in Portugal. Since 1968-69 they got media attention through a hit single, "El Rei D. Sebastião", actually with lyrics about the theme of the lost Portuguese king, who supposedly died in the fields of Morocco during the battle of Alcacer-Kibir. Once the king lost, also the Portuguese kingdom lost his independence to Spain. All the myths related with the return of King Sebastião - a quite anchored portuguese myth - were fairly treated in this rather poetic song. The harpsichord made its first appearance in rock portuguese music. As far as I can remember, a single with the English version of the song was published in Great Britain. The band leader was José Cid, composer and keyboard player as well as lead singer. The rest of the band had a classic formation influenced by the usual Beatles line-up, but with a sound and song structure that reminds the early Moody Blues.

The following album continued in the same vein, combining melodic songs with newly progressive instruments, namely the Mellotron. Later on the band evolved to a rather common -- and unintersting -- late 70's pop sound. In 1978 José Cid did publish a "progressive" record, entitled 10.000 anos depois entre Vénus e Marte. -- Paulo Pereira

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 14:01
That's a thing that intrigued me. Quarteto 1111 was "the first symphonic rock band in Portugal", still the Symphonic Team rejected it.

Think Philip's comments are fair.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 15:01

I don't know.

The 5 songs I sent for evaluation were their first single, "A Lenda d'El Rei D. Sebastião", this one more for its historical importance than prog credentials; their Britain-released single, "Ode to the Beatles", an interesting piece in the vein of Barclay James Harvest's "Titles"; two songs from their first self-titled LP, "A Fuga dos Grilos" and "Pigmentação", which in my view are psychedelic pop (as is the entire album - not much rock in there, rather a great influence by the abovementioned Os Mutantes); finally, side one of their final album "Onde Quando Como Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas", which is an interesting symphonic rock song, similar to a later José Cid single, "Vida  - Sons do Quotidiano" (included as a bonus track on his "10000 Anos Depois..." album).

I did not have then their album "Bruma Azul do Desejado", which I have in the meantime heard - it is very much un-prog, a collection of religious hymns sung by a friar and choirs, with the band providing the music (a blend of beat and pop a la Manfredd Mann).

I agree that it is hard to find a spot for them, with three full albums all quite different from each other. But surely one cannot ignore them for lack of a perfect fit in a genre... (this raises once more the problem of labeling bands, instead of albums, but thats a different discussion Wink)

Edited by Kotro - February 16 2008 at 15:06
Bigger on the inside.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

I don't know.

The 5 songs I sent for evaluation were their first single, "A Lenda d'El Rei D. Sebastião", this one more for its historical importance than prog credentials; their Britain-released single, "Ode to the Beatles", an interesting piece in the vein of Barclay James Harvest's "Titles"; two songs from their first LP, "A Fuga dos Grilos" and "Pigmentação", which in my view are psychedelic pop (as is the entire album); finally, side one of their final album "Onde Quando Como Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas", which is an interesting symphonic rock song, similar to a later José Cid single, "Vida  - Sons do Quotidiano" (included as a bonus track on his "10000 Anos Depois..." album).

I did not have then their album "Bruma Azul do Desejado", which I have in the meantime heard - it is very much un-prog, a collection of religious hymns sung by a friar and choirs, with the band providing the music (a blend of pop a la Manfredd Mann).

Well those singles, indeed, don't give confidence on their symphonic side.
In fact, they don't give confidence for Prog itself, as I've mentioned. They mark a period of pop, beat, easy 60s psych.

Side One (and Side Two) of CPV is, instead, mostly Symphonic.

I can say, at this point, that I'll definitely need to hear their psychedelic/different direction in music (perhaps the previous albums to CPV, from 1970-1972?) to consider it an "Eclectic' band.

Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 15:36
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and in lieu of a whole album.. since I'm sure everyone would hate to see a deserving band not added simply because material is hard to locate... that is when you trust the other forum members.. and also research.
"Onde, Quando,..." is only available in the original LP edition, and this is surely their most progressive record, and althought it is very rare and difficult to find legally, (only if you buy the vinyl!!) and surely this way, it is impossible to get it out of Portugal, this is the main argument for the band addition, as the true grandfathers of portuguese Symphonic Rock.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 16:15

I'm pleased to inform that the new label "Do Tempo Do Vinil" (linked with EMI-Valentim de Carvalho) has announced the CD release of "Onde Quando Como Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas" for the 25th of this month. They have already released a reedition of Tantra's "Mistérios e Maravilhas", and have several other portuguese prog albums scheduled for release (Petrus Castrus' Ascensão e Queda should come out also on the 25th February; more albums from Tantra and Banda do Casaco should be released on a thrid phase, not yet scheduled). 

Bigger on the inside.
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 07:04
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

I'm pleased to inform that the new label "Do Tempo Do Vinil" (linked with EMI-Valentim de Carvalho) has announced the CD release of "Onde Quando Como Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas" for the 25th of this month. They have already released a reedition of Tantra's "Mistérios e Maravilhas", and have several other portuguese prog albums scheduled for release (Petrus Castrus' Ascensão e Queda should come out also on the 25th February; more albums from Tantra and Banda do Casaco should be released on a third phase, not yet scheduled). 
ClapCD edition at last.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 07:11
excellent

should probably then put Quarteto 1111 on 'hold'  until the teams in question here get ahold of the album.  Personally the info like the GEPR blurb I posted  plus your all's thoughts would have been enough for me but we all have different standards. 

Just be patient guys.. they'll be added...  unfortunately trying to nail down a spot can be tricky.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 08:38
Good news from Eclectic Hq., the vote is Yes. The self-titled album (1970) (I listened to that as well) is definitely not symphonic-wise, mainly because the "Quartet" combine their previous pop rock/beat music style with hinges of prog rock, psychedelic and minor folk.

That makes Quarteto 1111 as a whole more than Symphonic, even if the 1975 album (which is mostly Symphonic with a bit of rock and hard rock) sounds like the most important of all.

In conclusion, being that symphonic + prog rock + easy psych + pop can result in Eclectic, I'm fine with the addition. I can even add a reason of "classic prog" for them, because Eclectic, in particularly, can accept classic prog rock bands that aren't Symphonic, Canterbury-esque, etc.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 09:41

Good news from Eclectic Hq., the vote is Yes. The self-titled album (1970) (I listened to that as well) is definitely not
symphonic-wise, mainly because the "Quartet" combine their previous pop
rock/beat music style with hinges of prog rock, psychedelic and minor
folk.

That makes Quarteto 1111 as a whole more than Symphonic, even if the
1975 album (which is mostly Symphonic with a bit of rock and hard rock)
sounds like the most important of all.

In conclusion, being that symphonic + prog rock + easy psych + pop can
result in Eclectic, I'm fine with the addition. I can even add a reason
of "classic prog" for them, because Eclectic, in particularly, can
accept classic prog rock bands that aren't Symphonic, Canterbury-esque,
etc.

Very well thought out Victor. I have now listened to the first album, and I completely agree.

Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 14:24

Good news from Eclectic Hq., the vote is Yes. The self-titled album (1970) (I listened to that as well) is definitely not symphonic-wise, mainly because the "Quartet" combine their previous pop rock/beat music style with hinges of prog rock, psychedelic and minor folk.

That makes Quarteto 1111 as a whole more than Symphonic, even if the 1975 album (which is mostly Symphonic with a bit of rock and hard rock) sounds like the most important of all.

In conclusion, being that symphonic + prog rock + easy psych + pop can result in Eclectic, I'm fine with the addition. I can even add a reason of "classic prog" for them, because Eclectic, in particularly, can accept classic prog rock bands that aren't Symphonic, Canterbury-esque, etc.
Seeing from this point of view, "it all makes perfect Sense"Smile. The day of the addition of the grandfathers of portuguese rock is coming: symphonic or eccletic important is the addition.Wink

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 20:07
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

[
. The day of the addition of the grandfathers of portuguese rock is coming: symphonic or eccletic important is the addition.Wink

exactly....  in the end.. .that really is all that matter anyway.. Clap
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 08:16
Yeah. That's it. José Cid (the mother), and his former band (the grandfathers) of this family that is the portuguese rock are in hereClap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>