Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTony MacAlpine Solo Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony MacAlpine Solo Work
    Posted: February 14 2008 at 14:02
 I'm sorry if this has been discusses before, but the search engine came up empty.

In poking around the archives, I've noticed that Derek Sherinian and Planet X are listed under various forms of Prog sub genres.  MacAlpine however, is not. I understand his earlier stuff was based on the school or shred, but I think he showed more maturity and song writing capabilities on his Maximum Security and Chromaticity.
 Just wondering why his main song writing partner is considered prog, both in the band and solo, and why he's not.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 15:16
The guy is incredible, he is one of my favorite guitarists.

He did play in Planet X though if you already didn't know that...I'm not sure if that is why you mention that group. Derek Sherinian's stuff is put here because he played with one of the giants....Dream Theater. I'm sure Jordan Rudess solo stuff might not be here if he was in Dream Theater either. There are probably a few bands on here I'm sure that has Tony in them. He gets around a lot.
khammer99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 15:48
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

The guy is incredible, he is one of my favorite guitarists.

He did play in Planet X though if you already didn't know that...I'm not sure if that is why you mention that group. Derek Sherinian's stuff is put here because he played with one of the giants....Dream Theater. I'm sure Jordan Rudess solo stuff might not be here if he was in Dream Theater either. There are probably a few bands on here I'm sure that has Tony in them. He gets around a lot.

Sorry, I wasn't more clear on this, I am aware that Tony is in Planet X.  I'm a fan of Planet X, and Tony and Derek's solo work as well.
  I would assume since Derek is listed separate in the archives, he is there because of his solo work, not because he is/was a member of other prog bands (Planet X, and Dream Theater).  Oui?
  I'm assuming that Tony and Derek collaborated on the songs  with Planet X (with Dontai of course), and Tony has played on Derek's solo albums. So, if Tony plays in a prog band (Planet X), and his partner is recognized as a prog artist in the same band and in his solo work, and Tony's solo stuff certainly sounds like prog, why isn't he in the prog archives?
  Hope that clears things a little...

Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 17:10
Not sure, I guess only a collab would know. Like I said, I'm guessing it is because of Planet X and Dream Theater for Derek. Blackfield wouldn't be here without Porcupine Tree.
bluesynight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 16:42
dereks solo work became planet x, his solo work is "part of the big picture",
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

As a general policy, we do admit the solo projects of prog band members to complete the picture for that band. Such artists are tested for prog and if they fit in a prog category they will go there.

If they are not considered prog in their own right, they are added as Prog Related on the basis that their project is closely related to a prog band.

Note that this policy does not extend to members of Prog Related or Proto Prog bands.
tony macalpine have some jazz influence in his music, Chromatics is a good example. but i dont think its enogh to add him, but i really wish they would.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 22:53
I recently added CAB to JR/F, a great project with MacAlpine/Chambers/Auger/Brunel

at least he's well-represented here

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 05:03
"Chambers", as in "Dennis Chambers"? really? i was sure it was dontai. 
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 07:45

Never heard of 'dontai', but yes Chambers is in CAB.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 10:51
i meant virgil donati, brilliant drummer. he plays with planet x, and with tony macalpine and Billy Sheehan on the "devils slingshot". and now when i checked, i see that donati was only on they  dvd, on they  live album, and on the upcoming album. weird they actually use 2 drummers, 2 brilliant drummers Clap.
(Oliver Herford)
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 04:31
Originally posted by bluesynight bluesynight wrote:

i meant virgil donati, brilliant drummer. he plays with planet x, and with tony macalpine and Billy Sheehan on the "devils slingshot". and now when i checked, i see that donati was only on they  dvd, on they  live album, and on the upcoming album. weird they actually use 2 drummers, 2 brilliant drummers Clap.

Oh, Donati, ahh that clears that upSmile.
That guy is a supreme, from my home town Melbourne tooBig%20smile. One of the greatest musicians to ever come out of Australia in my opinion. So versatile, skillful and such power.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 04:37
yeah, Virgil is spectacular, and he writes much of Planet X's stuff

Post Reply Post Reply