FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo Offense, But Why...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:17
Yeah but the fun part is to Guess WhoBig%20smile To Be Tee O or not to Be Tee O, that is a question .
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 00:23
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Yeah but the fun part is to Guess WhoBig%20smile To Be Tee O or not to Be Tee O, that is a question .

Well I am Tee O... Guess I have answered the Danish's question now...Tongue

By the way, I own like 8 rap cds... even Gangsta rap for that matter... I don't go to rap to find extreme musicality... I just wanted to explore the social issues and then I realize I actually enjoy and a lot Dr. Dre's The Chronic...Embarrassed.. My reputation nas finally been destroyed....
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 00:32
what reputation?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 00:37
LOL
.Ouch
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 03:47
TV on the Radio has some faint aspects of hip-hop (luckily without any rapping), but that's as far as I'll go...

I do enjoy trip-hop, though!
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 11:34
Can someone explain me what trip-hop is?
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 11:49
It's a branch of hip-hop employing mild minimalism and psychedelic elements to make it 'trippy'. I like the idea.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 11:52
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

TV on the Radio has some faint aspects of hip-hop (luckily without any rapping), but that's as far as I'll go...

I do enjoy trip-hop, though!

Do you know Dälek? They're avant-garde rap. I've heard so much about them (particularly from Folly) and I'm about to give them my first listen. I thought you might be interested, since you're avantgardehead.

Edited by Shakespeare - April 19 2008 at 11:54
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 12:00
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

It's a branch of hip-hop employing mild minimalism and psychedelic elements to make it 'trippy'. I like the idea.

Yes it's trippy - that's characterized quite good - it's a blend of HIP-HOP (not RAP), PSYCHEDELIC and DUB and there are some goods acts like Massive Attack, Smith & Mighty, Fila Brazillia, Nightmares On Wax ... Clap

Edited by Rivertree - April 19 2008 at 12:01

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 13:23
I like it because it's trippy (hence the name!), experimental, and often uses female voices. That and rapping and ghetto lyrics are absent. >:D
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 13:27
Trip-hop is more a branch of electronica than hi-hop.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 14:04
That's true.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 00:56
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Trip-hop is more a branch of electronica than hi-hop.

This has no relation with the thread but I love the album in your avatarTongue Not common in PA...

So trip hop is minimalist??? How more minimal can you get than one beat and one bass line per song!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 02:37
It's not really minimalist at all...
MHDTV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 19:32
To Ivan: You keep going on about how Rap doesn't change samples, but that's just not true. Sure, there's plenty of older rap that does, but nowadays samples are very, very rare, and there's an equal amount of Rap that does use samples in inventive ways. Groups like Public Enemy often use more than one sample per song, and without exception the Bomb Squad adds in it's own production touches. They also have many songs devoid of samples like By The Time I Get To Arizona (Basically the best production ever). In Aesop Rock's No Splash the producer, Blockhead, uses multiple classical samples, an eerie female spoken word excerpt with a backbeat . Blockhead also composes his own sythesizer parts for most of Labor Days. I could sit here all day making a list of producers that do use samples in inventive ways, or come up with totally original beats, but you'll never like rap, so not much point is there? You don't like rap. Fine. But don't 'criticize what you can't understand'.
Freak yo' swerve
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 17:22
i have a really good reason why i dont listen to rap or hip-hop

because FUNK is better
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 00:44
Originally posted by MHDTV MHDTV wrote:

To Ivan: You keep going on about how Rap doesn't change samples, but that's just not true. Sure, there's plenty of older rap that does, but nowadays samples are very, very rare, and there's an equal amount of Rap that does use samples in inventive ways. Groups like Public Enemy often use more than one sample per song, and without exception the Bomb Squad adds in it's own production touches. They also have many songs devoid of samples like By The Time I Get To Arizona (Basically the best production ever). In Aesop Rock's No Splash the producer, Blockhead, uses multiple classical samples, an eerie female spoken word excerpt with a backbeat . Blockhead also composes his own sythesizer parts for most of Labor Days. I could sit here all day making a list of producers that do use samples in inventive ways, or come up with totally original beats, but you'll never like rap, so not much point is there? You don't like rap. Fine. But don't 'criticize what you can't understand'.

Wow Public Enemy use more than one sample per song....What an achievement!!!!! They should be in the world ,musical hall of fame...PLEASE!!!!!!!

Incredible, addinng an eerie female voice to a sample...How incredible and original Dead Wasn't this done in the late 60's and if I'm not wrong Enigma doid it a lon time ago?????

Amazing Blockhead composes most of his synth parts, isn't that what any song performer does?!!!! Anyway, call me the day he composes all.

(Sarcasm BTW)

It's almost impossible not to understand Rap, it's musically simple and basic  to the extreme, so I understand it(I don't claim to be an expert, don't care enough for that), what I can't understand is what people sees on it, which is different.

Criticize what I consider mediocre is one of  my God given rights, and I won't resign to it, people here criticizes Genesis, ELP or Anglagard, why not Rap?

BTW: All the artists you mention are the exception to the rule, but still I consider the ones I know like Public Enemy, less than mediocre IMHO..

I can't find or will ever find the inventive vein in SAMPLING, this doesn't mean I can't understand it, I find it incredibly lack of originality in most of the cases.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 23 2008 at 01:21

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 12:09
Ivan, Kid Rock has just served up the perfect example to support your arguement. His new single "All Summer Long"  Is equal parts Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London", and Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" with Kid putting his own words over.  Catchy mash-up of a  tune, and meant as a tribute to the two acts, along with celebrating the sunny days of summer. I like it, bit just as I enjoyed P Diddy & J Page's Godzilla collab, this will not be something for the ages; i.e. ephemeral to the max.

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 13:33
Here's an example of sampling that I wholeheartedly approve of in a somewhat different vein. (Of course that may be because it is my own work.  LOL)   Mash-ups are just plain boring, any 7th grade kid with Garage Band or Audacity could do that. 

This, thankfully,  is not rap but the entire audio track is made up of samples (spoken word and music) that are subsequently cut, twisted, and otherwise manipulated in a wide variety of ways.  Some will be immediately recognizable to members here, but I doubt strongly that even the most fanatical members could compile a complete list of the samples used in this A/V piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zznaHTtAyL8
(part 2 is being uploaded as I type)

This piece was presented at a national conference in October of 2006 and received a standing ovation from the audience of roughly 600.

P.S.:  Don't worry admins, all the requisite permissions from all the parties involved were requested and granted so long as the piece is presented in a "non-profit" format.

Edited by Trademark - April 23 2008 at 22:56
MHDTV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Wow Public Enemy use more than one sample per song....What an achievement!!!!! They should be in the world ,musical hall of fame...PLEASE!!!!!!!
Incredible, addinng an eerie female voice to a sample...How incredible and original Dead Wasn't this done in the late 60's and if I'm not wrong Enigma doid it a lon time ago?????Amazing Blockhead composes most of his synth parts, isn't that what any song performer does?!!!! Anyway, call me the day he composes all.
It's almost impossible not to understand Rap, it's musically simple and basic  to the extreme, so I understand it(I don't claim to be an expert, don't care enough for that), what I can't understand is what people sees on it, which is different.

Public Enemy also uses a horn section, a drum machine, various 'effects like sirens etc, synths and a whole lot of other things. Why does Blockhead need to compose them all? Sampling like he does requires just as much creativity as writing a 'real' song. I didn't literally mean understand, I mean you don't like rap. Fine. But that doesn't mean it's unoriginal or doesn't require talent. Every band I mention that goes against your generilizations you'll dismissed as mediocre or worse. I could name hundreds of rap artists that use samples inventively or make up their own beats, but you won't like any of them. You still haven't responded to half my post by the way.
Freak yo' swerve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>