Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1, 2, 3, 4. I declare a shredding war!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 18:56
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Last night, I went to my friend's house, Billy (whom I've been trying to convince to join the forum tooTongue) who's a bass player. I played guitar from 8:15 until 11:30. During that time, I was recording a song we were going to do for music class for school, and then over the main chord progression which I wrote specifically for improvising a solo over, so Billy set to work on bass guitar sweep picked arpeggio chops, which looks pretty cool to watch mind you. The song is in Bb minor, which is a fairly tricky key signature to work with on a standard tuned guitar (the only drop tunings I use is drop D), so I was also learning my way around Bb Aeolian at the same time as practicing my string skipping and sweep picking.

Dead String skipping will be the death of me, I just can't get it right.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 19:03
I was learning Carry On Wayward Son and Tom Sawyer today, they've got some tricky string skipping. So's some Marillion classics which i went through today. All in all it was a very productive day even though i did most my finger practise during the 10 episodes of Stargate that I watched :)
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 22:40
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Last night, I went to my friend's house, Billy (whom I've been trying to convince to join the forum tooTongue) who's a bass player. I played guitar from 8:15 until 11:30. During that time, I was recording a song we were going to do for music class for school, and then over the main chord progression which I wrote specifically for improvising a solo over, so Billy set to work on bass guitar sweep picked arpeggio chops, which looks pretty cool to watch mind you. The song is in Bb minor, which is a fairly tricky key signature to work with on a standard tuned guitar (the only drop tunings I use is drop D), so I was also learning my way around Bb Aeolian at the same time as practicing my string skipping and sweep picking.

Hey, don't worry, it's just like any technique, it will happen one day. For me, I personally started out with string skipping licks in Legato, then moving on to alternate picked licks.
If that's one of your weaknesses, make it part of your practice regime for March.
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 03:17

Paul Gilbert is well known for his amazing string skipping abilities. Maybe he can shine some light on your troubles.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 05:44
It's 9:45 pm now, I'm at Billy's house again, so I get to play his Jackson Pro Series DK2S, a pretty good guitar, but the fretboard is a tad slower than my Brian Moore I1 2000 series I have at home.
Might set to work on our song again, improvising solos and continuing on my string skipping licks and sweep picking.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 15:37
My Petrucci Signature should be coming in either today or tomorrow. That should add a few hours to my daily routine.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 16:01
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey SpaceMonkey wrote:

My Petrucci Signature should be coming in either today or tomorrow. That should add a few hours to my daily routine.

If I had a Petrucci Signature it would add a little more than a few hours to my daily routine! LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 19:33

That is awesome dudeThumbs%20Up
My Brian Moore I1 2000 Series (got it in 2005 brand new) costs $2995 Aust, while a Petrucci Sig costs $3595, but your guitar has 2 more frets than mine and a better tremolo (makes me sad thinking about thatUnhappy).
Mike, I read that you have a Dinky, what exact model is it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 21:20

My Brian Moore I1 2000 Series (got it in 2005 brand new) costs $2995 Aust, while a Petrucci Sig costs $3595, but your guitar has 2 more frets than mine and a better tremolo (makes me sad thinking about thatUnhappy).

No, I didn't get the family reserve (I think the newer model is called) it's just his older model. Roughly $1200 after a 20% rebate. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 23:02

A Jackson DXMB, it's around $500, nothing compared to your Brian Moore Series or Space's Petrucci Signature but it does an alright job Wink. I'm actually hoping for my next guitar to be the Vai Jem (7 string)...I'll have to save my nickels and dimes though LOL

In other news, today didn't go so well, lots of hw and I had hockey so I got about 2 hours in at most, I'm gonna have to go 8 on Saturday and Sunday this weekend it looks like Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 03:53

A Jackson DXMB, it's around $500, nothing compared to your Brian Moore Series or Space's Petrucci Signature but it does an alright job Wink. I'm actually hoping for my next guitar to be the Vai Jem (7 string)...I'll have to save my nickels and dimes though LOL

In other news, today didn't go so well, lots of hw and I had hockey so I got about 2 hours in at most, I'm gonna have to go 8 on Saturday and Sunday this weekend it looks like Smile

It was actually between the JEM and the Petrucci Signature for me. I forget what my reason was to just go with the Petrucci, but the 7 string JEM doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I may be selling my current 7 string (Ibanez) and will end up replacing it shortly after I move to San Diego. So the Vai may be at the top of the list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 06:49
Mine's a Squier strat for $450, but I play the guitar, the guitar doesn't play me, so I'm more than satisfied with this one here. And poor.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 07:19

I'm a little confused, I've known of the DXMG model, but DXMBConfused? I checked out Audiozone.dk (A website dedicated to Jackson/Charvel guitar fans, like myselfWink) and there didn't appear to be a DXMB model at all, so I'm guessing you made a typo. Models prior to the 2006 model, are equipped with EMG-HZ pickups, while the 2006 model upgrade introduced the 81/85 active set. If it is the case that is your guitar, don't feel embarrassed, they actually cost more than the Dinky DK2S my friend Billy has, and plays the same anyway.
As for the Vai 7 string 'JEM', it's actually called a Universe, the current model being the UV777. To be honest, unless your planning on getting a second hand one from a few years back with some scratches and dings in it, if you want to buy brand new, go for the RG1527 Prestige, it's less than half the price of the UV, which means money left over for pickups of your choice instead of being stuck with an expensive guitar and no money to upgrade. Bear in mind the 1527 model has been around for a while, 3-5 years (Don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I can research that for you if you wantWink), so you may even be able to get that second hand in good condition if you look carefully.
Plus, if your used to your jumbo frets, bear in mind the UV's frets are actually smaller than the RG1527s as well, so there's another reason to get the 1527, so it still has a good feel for you.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 07:24
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Mine's a Squier strat for $450, but I play the guitar, the guitar doesn't play me, so I'm more than satisfied with this one here. And poor.

Just in case your wondering, you can get an Ibanez RG321 MH model, for not much more than a Squier Strat, maybe 50-150 dollars more, and it plays much better than you expect for a guitar at that price point, it's a genuine shredder's axe for a good price. The pickups are admittedly, not great as you would expect from the price, but still, much better than the Squiers pickups IMO, and the overal quality of the guitar is also better from personal experienceThumbs%20Up
So if that helps, consider selling the Squier, and save up a little money for something that will truly get you on the road to real shredding.
The neck is thinner, the fingerboard radius is 400mm compared to the squiers 241mm, and it has Jumbo frets too, so the RG is a lot easier to bend and vibrato on, as well as having a lower action.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 12:14

I'm a little confused, I've known of the DXMG model, but DXMBConfused? I checked out Audiozone.dk (A website dedicated to Jackson/Charvel guitar fans, like myselfWink) and there didn't appear to be a DXMB model at all, so I'm guessing you made a typo. Models prior to the 2006 model, are equipped with EMG-HZ pickups, while the 2006 model upgrade introduced the 81/85 active set. If it is the case that is your guitar, don't feel embarrassed, they actually cost more than the Dinky DK2S my friend Billy has, and plays the same anyway.
As for the Vai 7 string 'JEM', it's actually called a Universe, the current model being the UV777. To be honest, unless your planning on getting a second hand one from a few years back with some scratches and dings in it, if you want to buy brand new, go for the RG1527 Prestige, it's less than half the price of the UV, which means money left over for pickups of your choice instead of being stuck with an expensive guitar and no money to upgrade. Bear in mind the 1527 model has been around for a while, 3-5 years (Don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I can research that for you if you wantWink), so you may even be able to get that second hand in good condition if you look carefully.
Plus, if your used to your jumbo frets, bear in mind the UV's frets are actually smaller than the RG1527s as well, so there's another reason to get the 1527, so it still has a good feel for you.

Sorry, that's my mistake there was a typing error Embarrassed.

Also, thanks for the advice on the 7 string!

I don't know what I would rather get though (if I had the money yet of course LOL)..I am used to the jumbo frets on my jackson but the frets on my sg are much smaller sort of like how you are describing the UV's. Before I get anything I'll have to try them both out and see which I like better of course Big%20smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 15:03

Just in case your wondering, you can get an Ibanez RG321 MH model, for not much more than a Squier Strat, maybe 50-150 dollars more, and it plays much better than you expect for a guitar at that price point, it's a genuine shredder's axe for a good price. The pickups are admittedly, not great as you would expect from the price, but still, much better than the Squiers pickups IMO, and the overal quality of the guitar is also better from personal experienceThumbs%20Up
So if that helps, consider selling the Squier, and save up a little money for something that will truly get you on the road to real shredding.
The neck is thinner, the fingerboard radius is 400mm compared to the squiers 241mm, and it has Jumbo frets too, so the RG is a lot easier to bend and vibrato on, as well as having a lower action.

Haha! Big%20smile Not even in my wildest dreams and blackest nightmares would I ever change my beloved Squier to
this horror you call a guitar! My friend has one of those. I don't like the look at all. And when it comes to electric
guitars, I'd never buy an Ibanez, I just don't like them. It's basically the way they feel to you. Personal preference. I like it how you're assuming I wanted to get rid of mine. To be honest, I've yet to find a guitar that would be better to play than this one. It's a ´95 annual celebration model and what I bought it was half off. Best guitar i've ever played, just after a real Fender Telecaster, given that the microphones might not be the best available, I've got no reason to complain about this great purchase.

But I guess it's then time to admit, that doubling up my speed will not be such a problem than with some of you perhaps seeing as how I am a full time jazz guitarist and usually play on an acoustic, just quick chord progressions. So I've never been into playing too fast, now if I do for a while perhaps it could help me technique-wise, but nowadays, I'm slow, and more like a 2 hand, 10-finger player with classical pieces and notations. Having a shedder Ibanez in my corner would be almost blasphemy, and frankly, I couldn't play it without laughing till I choke. Smile

Edited by Passionist - March 05 2008 at 15:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 19:41
 I just broke a string on my dinky Cry
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 01:12

Sorry, that's my mistake there was a typing error Embarrassed.

Also, thanks for the advice on the 7 string!

I don't know what I would rather get though (if I had the money yet of course LOL)..I am used to the jumbo frets on my jackson but the frets on my sg are much smaller sort of like how you are describing the UV's. Before I get anything I'll have to try them both out and see which I like better of course Big%20smile

SGs.........................Dead No offense, but I really dislike them things, but I will admit, it's better than a LP, and not blatantly over priced like a LP either.
My friend Billy has an SG, (Epiphone SG), and a Jackson DK2S. When he got his DK2S shipped May last year, he pretty much stopped playing the SG (but Bass is his main instrument though).
The Jackson had much better tuning stability, the Seymour Duncan SH-4 sounded much clearer than the Epi's pickups, and the mids were much better for lead guitar sounds. The DK2S' neck was thinner as well (I found the neck on the SG too thick, to the point where playing lead guitar for long periods hurt my hand), and the general playability, a world ahead. Not to mention I can't stand playing anything that doesn't have jumbo frets.
The SG only gets use when I want to play in drop D at his house, cos obviously it's too much of a hassle to unlock the nut and intonate the floyd on the Jackson just to play in that tuning.
I guess I'm very much a Super strat kind of guy though, probably always will be.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 01:51

Ouch You have to splurge once in a while.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 02:08

No more rants about the technical side of the guitar itself from me, I've been known to get bogged down in that sort of thing, but if your like me, everyday I go on the ESP, Ibanez, JCF (Jackson/Charvel forum), Seymour Duncan forum, Dimarzio forum,  plus reading reviews about gear, so basically if I'm not playing guitar or out being social, I'm at home on PA or reading about guitar stuffTongue.

Last night, I only got in 90 minutes unfortunately, due to my dad hogging the computer, which is where I generally practice, cos I can listen to music, play along with it, use the metronome program etc. Hopefully I can fit more in tonight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>