Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXitintoday - Nik Turner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xitintoday - Nik Turner
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:38
I notice with great pleasure that "Xitintoday", the first solo album of Nik Turner, which was added by me and which I believe to be the best release of 1978, currently is rated at 4.51 (after 9 ratings), which makes it a 5 star album. I highly recommend this album to anyone who is into space rock; it is an absolute gem of this genre ClapClapClap

Edited by BaldJean - February 27 2008 at 15:38

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:08
...ok, will check it out then
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:55
Laser's Edge here in the states has it for $15 a claims the CD (you say in your review it wasn't on CD back in 2005) has a 29 minute bonus track. Have you heard this?

Here is the write up from Ken Golden:

I believe this is the first official release for this overlooked solo album from Hawkwind saxophonist Nik Turner. Originally released in 1979 it features him backed by members of Gong including Steve Hillage, MIquette Giraudy, Tim Blake and Mike Howlett. It gets the full Mark Powell treatment - great remastering, detailed liner notes and photos. Oh yeah...and a previously unreleased 29 minute bonus track! Space is still the place...
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 05:27
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Laser's Edge here in the states has it for $15 a claims the CD (you say in your review it wasn't on CD back in 2005) has a 29 minute bonus track. Have you heard this?

I believe this is the first official release for this overlooked solo album from Hawkwind saxophonist Nik Turner. Originally released in 1979 it features him backed by members of Gong including Steve Hillage, MIquette Giraudy, Tim Blake and Mike Howlett. It gets the full Mark Powell treatment - great remastering, detailed liner notes and photos. Oh yeah...and a previously unreleased 29 minute bonus track! Space is still the place...

the album was released on CD for the first time in 2007. my review is from 2006. the 29 minutes bonus track is Nik Turner improvising on flute inside the great pyramid

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 06:09
I can't believe I've never heard this. I must track it down!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 06:16
Just ordered it, should be here next week. Big%20smile
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 08:59
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Golden is wrong about the first release; we have the vinyl and it says 1978 on it. the CD release contains the full booklet that came with the vinyl, with lots of photos, the lyrics, the line-up for the songs and other interesting stuff

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 05:09
Listened to it for the first time last night. Very meditative, hypnotic music with ceremonial chanting that gives an impression of ancient Egyptian ceremonies. Big%20smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 05:21
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

Listened to it for the first time last night. Very meditative, hypnotic music with ceremonial chanting that gives an impression of ancient Egyptian ceremonies. Big%20smile

does that mean you liked it?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:04
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I liked it!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:07

I liked it!

I hope you will write a good review of it; it is one of my favorite albums of all time (as you can tell by my own review of it)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:15

ooohhh.. sounds like something I'd dig...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:17

I liked it!

I hope you will write a good review of it; it is one of my favorite albums of all time (as you can tell by my own review of it)

I haven't written any reviews yet, maybe it's time I started!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 09:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

get it, Micky. from the way you described how you listen to prog, that it takes you away, this album definitely is for you. it will take you back into ancient Egypt and evoke the Gods for you. I mean it!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 10:38

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

get it, Micky. from the way you described how you listen to prog, that it takes you away, this album definitely is for you. it will take you back into ancient Egypt and evoke the Gods for you. I mean it!

as I said..my kind of music LOL. Thanks for the recommend Jean!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 13:45
Sounds intresting but i cant find it anywhere.. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply