Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Quote =StyLaZyn

OK, example
from The Spirit Carries On
"Where did we come from?
Why are we here?
Where do we go when we die?"

Now tell me you don't hear either "Nobody's Home" or even more so "One of My Turns".  The vocal style is so close.

Quoting myself...that is very cheeky of me. Nonetheless, I remember another song, off SFAM as well. Does the song "Home" have parts that sounds familiar to anyone? Perhaps a tune by the name of Eulogy by Tool?

The first time I heard "Home", and I really do dig the tune still, I keep hearing something familar. It so happened to be another favorite of mine. That bass line is cool as heck but come on. There it is, plain and simple.

Again, I don't discount the abilities of DT. They are awesome musicians. But all this time, has it been that they borrowed materials from others? I'd say the most original material had come in the early days when creativity was plentiful. They haven't really given us anything new in some time.

actually I was thinking more 46 and 2 than Eulogy, that song's probably the first surfacing of them REALLY wearing their influences on their sleeves (and one of the last 100% tolerable offenses in my book)...it's only that one main riff that makes me think of it though, and Adam Jones certainly didn't do any of those runs that Petrucci doesLOL although I haven't heard AEnima in a while so maybe my memory's foggy...Confused

Guess what? You are right. It is "46 and 2" and not Eulogy. There's a big  D'OH!!! from me.

LOL

No Adam Jones doesn't pull off the epic guitar runs. It is a highlight that Petrucci yields.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 14:57

Quote =StyLaZyn

OK, example
"Where did we come from?
Why are we here?

Now tell me you don't hear either "Nobody's Home" or even more so "One of My Turns".  The vocal style is so close.

Quoting myself...that is very cheeky of me. Nonetheless, I remember another song, off SFAM as well. Does the song "Home" have parts that sounds familiar to anyone? Perhaps a tune by the name of Eulogy by Tool?

The first time I heard "Home", and I really do dig the tune still, I keep hearing something familar. It so happened to be another favorite of mine. That bass line is cool as heck but come on. There it is, plain and simple.

Again, I don't discount the abilities of DT. They are awesome musicians. But all this time, has it been that they borrowed materials from others? I'd say the most original material had come in the early days when creativity was plentiful. They haven't really given us anything new in some time.

actually I was thinking more 46 and 2 than Eulogy, that song's probably the first surfacing of them REALLY wearing their influences on their sleeves (and one of the last 100% tolerable offenses in my book)...it's only that one main riff that makes me think of it though, and Adam Jones certainly didn't do any of those runs that Petrucci doesLOL although I haven't heard AEnima in a while so maybe my memory's foggy...Confused

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:20
Quote =StyLaZyn

OK, example
"Where did we come from?
Why are we here?

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 01:11
As much as that post confused me, I certainly agree with itLOL
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 00:52
Yea but DT is making millions and all the n00bs love them!

just kidding! just kidding!

But seriously, shown by the mixed opinions, I think its all about perception: What one hears, compared to what one has heard before. It's like the subjectiveness is doubled.

Edited by explodingjosh - March 06 2008 at 00:58
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 00:29
I still can't understand why other artists never get the same treatment...

just an example (and I LOVE the music and his voice and lyrics): Why does nobody create a thread called "Example of Fish's and MArillion's influences". Oh, that would be an even easier one: THREE. Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammil, and GENESIS.

Oh but Labrie sounds a little like Waters. Man, I'm sure Waters never heard any other music.

Try learning about music history, AND NOT JUST ROCK but from the begginings, or let's make it easier, from the baroque era. Mozart's first works sounded baroque, Beethoven's early works sounded like Haydn's or Mozart's, Brahma, while a master, sounded a little like Beethoven (he even quotes him in the First Symphony's fourth movement), Sibelius's first 3 symphonies sounds like Tchaikovsky's.... And on and on. And even those masters always retained elements of their influences, always. Bruckner revered Wagner, he even used Wagnerian tubas in some works; Stravinsky never denied his sound being a result of influences. In rock, EVERYBODY sounds a little bit like the Beatles, Porcupine Tree was PinkFloyd mark II at their origins... yet only DT is guilty of "being influenced" and only Waters was genius enough to sound 100% original.

explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 23:02
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

I think that "quoting" and "covering" are completely legal, creativitly wise. In Dream Theater's case, I don't think they even need to explicitly reference a band when they quote them. Like in the intro to Octavarium, its so blatant and obvious what they are quoting (if you know Shine On), a reference in the liner notes would be a "no sh1t" statement for most of their listeners.

I think the problem is when the players sound way too close for comfort to another band. Its disappointing when you're craving new ideas. But I think these moments depend on the listener. I personally was pissed when I heard how James was singing (like R. Waters) in SFaM. I tried to not let it ruin the album for me.

Thank you! Someone else who can hear the Waters influence in LaBrie's SfaM work!

Having said that, I think SfaM (along with Octavarium, Awake and Images and Words) is one of the best albums DT ever did. The influences don't really bother me, but I think it's absurd when people defend them on the grounds that "all music is ripping off someone". Well, obviousely, but no other band really shows their ifnluences so obviousely; only DT.

Yep...there is a blatant ripoff of Waters from the Wall. But that's what you get when you lack creativity. Unless of course he intended to do so, in which case he better have throw Waters a bone in the liner notes.

For the record, I much prefer Octavarium, rip offs and all, over Systematic Chaos. I put in SC the other day and couldn't take it anymore during track 3. You know, I keep trying, hoping, but it never pans out. I did end up buying it for collection purposes, but there is a reason SC was collecting dust.

Bring back KMoore!!!!!  Bring back the DT of old! Big%20smile

Do you guys seriously think that Waters invented that particular style? I'm sure that thousands of singer/songwriters did it before him.

I wish some people would get off their high horse here ...

Yea... I'm pretty sure the 'high horse' comment is for me, especially the 'I tried to not let it ruin the album for me'  part of my comment... I can see how that would sound 'high horsey'. But I promise, I was serious when I said it.... When I first heard that part of the album I really was saying, out loud, "'WTF is this?! that's freaking roger waters!!' I was sincerely angered. It seemed to me that LaBrie ripped off (not 'covered' or 'quoted', but ripped off ) Water's singing style that people, especially DT/prog fans, are very familiar with.

To me, it's not like James LaBrie thought "oh, well I'm going to sound personal and quiet in this part of the song, because it goes well with the lyrics", he thought "I'm going to sound like Roger Waters, because it goes well with the lyrics."

Edited by explodingjosh - March 05 2008 at 23:03
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 20:27
I don't think that vocally LaBrie really sounds like Waters at all

that said that chord is DEFINITELY a take from Brain Damage, the way it's set up
when listening to both albums I sometimes confuse the two LOL
that said it's only one part of the song, and The Spirit Carries On is basically Pink Floyd put into one song for them, nothing wrong with a little tribute (it got out of hand on subsequent albums though beginning with Octavarium and parts of the previous two) ....other than the solo though I kind of feel like that's one of the weakest tracks on the album

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 12:49
i can hear it now but ill be honest, i never heard it before. Labrie definitely has a distinct style, like it or not, and it doesnt lend itself well to covering hardly any vocal styles particularly waters. i dont think this was done purposefully i just think he was singing softly and low. thats about it. 
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:46

Do you guys seriously think that Waters invented that particular style? I'm sure that thousands of singer/songwriters did it before him.

Mike,
I don't question your point, but would very much like to know who Waters took his style from. I haven't heard every artist/singer out there, but I also have found Waters to be quite unique. I have always felt that Waters style was directly a result of his person and personality. His singing, to me, has always been a great illustration of the lyrics he wrote.

Agreed. But I don't think there are enough similarities between the two styles to call it a "rip-off". I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and I must have listened to The Wall more than 50 times, but I never ever thought of that album when I listened to Scenes from a Memory. I think that *maybe* they borrowed the concept - vocals and acoustic guitar strumming. But the vocal melody is not related to The Wall at all, and neither are the chord sequences.

OK, example
"Where did we come from?
Why are we here?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 09:40

Mike,
I don't question your point, but would very much like to know who Waters took his style from. I haven't heard every artist/singer out there, but I also have found Waters to be quite unique. I have always felt that Waters style was directly a result of his person and personality. His singing, to me, has always been a great illustration of the lyrics he wrote.

Agreed. But I don't think there are enough similarities between the two styles to call it a "rip-off". I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and I must have listened to The Wall more than 50 times, but I never ever thought of that album when I listened to Scenes from a Memory. I think that *maybe* they borrowed the concept - vocals and acoustic guitar strumming. But the vocal melody is not related to The Wall at all, and neither are the chord sequences.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 09:11

Mike,

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 08:25
 Quotes can be indicated in the sleeve, that could be helpful.
 For example  Secret Service by After Crying contains a quote from King Cimson's Easy money and it can be read in the CD sleeve.
But if all "influences" were  noted in some latter day  in Dream Theater songs not much would remain, I'm afraid.Wink
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 02:42

I think that "quoting" and "covering" are completely legal, creativitly wise. In Dream Theater's case, I don't think they even need to explicitly reference a band when they quote them. Like in the intro to Octavarium, its so blatant and obvious what they are quoting (if you know Shine On), a reference in the liner notes would be a "no sh1t" statement for most of their listeners.

I think the problem is when the players sound way too close for comfort to another band. Its disappointing when you're craving new ideas. But I think these moments depend on the listener. I personally was pissed when I heard how James was singing (like R. Waters) in SFaM. I tried to not let it ruin the album for me.

Thank you! Someone else who can hear the Waters influence in LaBrie's SfaM work!

Having said that, I think SfaM (along with Octavarium, Awake and Images and Words) is one of the best albums DT ever did. The influences don't really bother me, but I think it's absurd when people defend them on the grounds that "all music is ripping off someone". Well, obviousely, but no other band really shows their ifnluences so obviousely; only DT.

Yep...there is a blatant ripoff of Waters from the Wall. But that's what you get when you lack creativity. Unless of course he intended to do so, in which case he better have throw Waters a bone in the liner notes.

For the record, I much prefer Octavarium, rip offs and all, over Systematic Chaos. I put in SC the other day and couldn't take it anymore during track 3. You know, I keep trying, hoping, but it never pans out. I did end up buying it for collection purposes, but there is a reason SC was collecting dust.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 01:30

I can't see the problem with the lack of Moore and a 'new' Dream Theater.
Jordan Rudess is a very gifted musican, more so than Moore IMO,
And time is moving forward, and Dream Theater have never been about 'bringing back their old sound', and consider the amount of bands that tried to do that, and it ended up so uninspiring that you would have preferred the band took a risk and went somewhere new anyway.
But saying that, IMO ToT was the last really great record they did (I'm not a big fan of Octavarium and I thought SC was good but not great).
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 16:30

MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

But they have been influenced by others.

But then again who hasn't been influenced by others?

No one. You can't get something from nothing. But that is not the point of this discussion.

My opinion is that it is essential to learn from the past and have many "influences", but I have been drawn away from Dream Theater because I believe they do not internalize their influences and mix them tell enough to create something brilliant.

Mr.Garten-
Yes, Dream Theater have always said they wear their influences on their sleeves. Yet this is still basis for my opinion that while influences are healthy, not fully developing them into one's music and integrating it carefully and subliminally makes it seem like one is "copying" another person.

I'll give an example- The song Repentance off of their latest album. Listening to the chord progression, I immediately noticed that it used similar half-step movements in a minor key and voice leading as is almost the signature sound of Opeth. Right after the first few lines of the lyrics about 2 minutes into the song there is a small unison interlude with the guitar and bass utilizing the same type of chromaticism seen, again, in Opeth. The section with the apologizing voices is very, very similar to the track Vocari Dei on Pain of Salvation's Be album, both being many taped progressing voices, both with messages of apology. Mike Portnoy, who wrote the song Repentance even left a message on the machine that POS had set up for the messages in their song, making it obvious there he came up with the idea of the voices in DT's song.

I could give tens of examples of this sort of thing, especially in their recent work. Their influences are Dream Theater's blessing and flaw. The strong (and somewhat obvious) influences are a blessing as they attract fans of their influences to the band and are able to create very, very diverse music. They are also a curse, as I have pointed out, as people may be disappointed in the seeming lack of individual "Dream Theater sound" in their music as well as originality. Take whichever side you want, it doesn't matter, but I've been on both.

Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 15:06
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

But they have been influenced by others.

But then again who hasn't been influenced by others?
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 15:04
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Yuhuuuuuuu Im seeing them tonight! Its gonna be so awesome (hopefully)

ah, and yes, the whole Octavarium album is pretty much a rip-off... the last album is way better

I'll see them in may! TongueAnd I paid like 2937239 dollars to actually meet them! LOL

I agree that he album were the influences were the clearest was octavarium....And, as Jim said, they wear them on the sleeve. LIKE EVERYBODY does.... nobody complaints about other bands, though...

Go listen to Marillion and tell me they weren't influenced by some band I shall not mention...(just an example).

Music is the art of artistic theft.

Oh you lucky b*****d! You got the meet and greet package!

I cheaped out and only got tickets for one night at Terminal 5 Cry...should be an AMAZING show though, it'll be my second time seeing them..and the second time of this tour LOL.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 15:02

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>