Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThis is a great site !! Newbie here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is a great site !! Newbie here
    Posted: March 02 2008 at 07:15
welcome to the forumThumbs%20Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 02:00
our pleasure, nice to have you

Robot78 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 01:24
Hey everyone.
New member here, so let me tell my "prog"story  Smile
Growing up in the 70's my choices on the radio were pretty much Top 40 and Country and Western - boring.  My first intro to real music was through the Alan Parsons Project with Tales of Mystery and Imagination and I, Robot.  In fact the Project was my favorite group through the late 70s and 80s and I listened to the likes of Asia, Supertramp, and of course, some Pink Floyd and later Camel.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, where my listening consisted mainly of my CDs from 70s and 80s groups, classic rock, and the rare modern group like Collective Soul and Evanescence.  Then I came across a band on i-tunes that some of you have probably heard of - Porcupine Tree Big%20smile.  I purchased Deadwing and OMG what an awakening to a whole new world of modern music.  That lead to "discovering" groups like Riverside, Sylvan, Frost*, Dream Theater, etc.

As I've told my wife, even though I'm close to 50, I'm not ready to sit in my recliner and listen to the likes of Norah Jones.  Obviously popular music is basically unlistenable, but I'm also amazed at what is directed at the adult crowd.  Fortunately, resources like i-tunes, amazon.com and this site have opened up access to an amazing amount of great music.

I find my personal tastes lean to a more "modern" sound - for example, Deadwing is my favorite PT album; and with exception of Camel, I don't necessarily listen to older prog bands.  I find myself liking a lot of what is considered crossover with some of my favorite new bands including dredg, Pure Reason Revolution, and The Reasoning.

Anyway, this is a great site.  I love the reviews and album rankings and learn so much about to what to look for.
Thanks,
Robot78

Post Reply Post Reply