Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedActresses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who is your favorite actress out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [13.64%]
3 [13.64%]
4 [18.18%]
3 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [22.73%]
2 [9.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actresses
    Posted: April 23 2008 at 23:22
Well I like Monica Bellucci , the Zeta-Jones and the incendiary Claudia Cardinale but this list I guess Julie
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 22:13
The one I can't stand is Geraldine Chaplin, what about:
  1. Jody Foster: Most of their roles are outstanding, except Maverick of course.
  2. Irene Papas: Fantastic actress, normally ignored by Holywood fans, her role in Z with Yves Montand or Zorba the Greek are incredible.
  3. Giullietta Massina: Just watch her performance in La Strada or Julieta of the Spirits (Don't know oif the translation is right)
  4. Greta Garbo: The Divine, outstanding in Queen Christina and Anna Karenina
  5. Judi Dench: Fabulous actress from the Royal Shakespeare Company.
  6. Bette Davis: Dangerous, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (If it wasn't for Errol Flynn, the movie would had been even better)
  7. Ingrid Bergman:For Whom the Bell Tolls and Csablanca are enough.

Just to mention a few.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 23 2008 at 23:41

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:21
I will never forget the performance of a disturbed C. Rampling in the disturbing ''NIGHT PORTER''Thumbs%20Up
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 14:54
I go with Katherine Hepburn. Great body of work and she has worked with some of the greats....Cary Grant,Spencer Tracy,Humphrey Bogart and Henry Fonda.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 19:33
I see the topic, And bam ! Charlotte Rampling comes to mind. So I'm thinking I'm going in to see Natalie Kidman/Portman, Amy Adams, Renee Zellwiggout et al. Surprise surprise, actual actresses. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:32
Had you posted Audrey instead of Katherine I would have voted for her... Heart

Out of those, I really think Isabelle Huppert tops the chart.
Bigger on the inside.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 08:31
"Don't Look Now" is one of my all time favorites; the end still freaks me out, although I know it is coming; when I first saw the movie I was totally shocked.
my all time favorite movie, however, is "Rashomon" by Akira Kurosawa

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 08:18
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

It seems we're both fans of Sigourney, but I cannot believe you haven't mentioned her role in 'The Ice Storm':

I agree! Stunning and deeply moving. A must see.

I love Don't Look Now  so much vote for Julie Christie here. Jeanne Moreau and Mia Farrow are probably my own favorites.

Don't Look Now, Repulsion, Belle de Jour, Alien (and both the Fassfinder movies)...  not impressive, and Doctor Zhivago & Farenheit 451 incredibly lame?? Sure its not its not just tastes in films that are lame, Cuncuna?

I do hate the stupid follow up(s) to  Alien, though.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 07:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I think the first four on that lists are the betteractresses, but certainly not my faves

Victoria April, Zabou Breitman, Elsa Zylberstein, Agnes Jaoui, Emmanuelle Beart are in my top 5

you probably mean Victoria Abril. the others I don't know, except for Emmanuelle Beart

Abril, yes of courseLOL

The other three are typical French actresses also doing movies of their own.

Jaoui usually teamsup with her husband JP Bacri

BTW: Deneuve I never thought of as an excellent actress, she's iconic and has had many roles written for her. Huppert is a much stronger actress, but she's always reaching for extremes in her roles

Adjani I used to love during the 80's, but she started losing the plot in the Claudel film, than the other film with The St Bartholomy Massacres. I think she's only two two movies since the millenium. She's a complete capricious  diva that nobody wants to deal with anymore.

Deneuve was ideal for movies like "Repulsion" or "Belle de Jour", two of my favorite movies; I couldn't imagine any other actress in these movies

Say your picture of Sig Weaver in yourfirst post.... was it not taken from the movie Half-Crescent Moon or something (this was an 80's movies where she plays a call-girl)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 07:47

I think the first four on that lists are the betteractresses, but certainly not my faves

Victoria April, Zabou Breitman, Elsa Zylberstein, Agnes Jaoui, Emmanuelle Beart are in my top 5

you probably mean Victoria Abril. the others I don't know, except for Emmanuelle Beart

Abril, yes of courseLOL

BTW: Deneuve I never thought of as an excellent actress, she's iconic and has had many roles written for her. Huppert is a much stronger actress, but she's always reaching for extremes in her roles

Adjani I used to love during the 80's, but she started losing the plot in the Claudel film, than the other film with The St Bartholomy Massacres. I think she's only two two movies since the millenium. She's a complete capricious  diva that nobody wants to deal with anymore.

Deneuve was ideal for movies like "Repulsion" or "Belle de Jour", two of my favorite movies; I couldn't imagine any other actress in these movies

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 07:12

Abril, yes of courseLOL

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 23:56

philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 22:36
I like only sulfurous actresses from 60's / 70's B-grade underground cinema Wink

From this list I will vote for Geraldine Chaplin despite that my preference goes for Josephine (Chaplin).

Edited by philippe - March 27 2008 at 22:46
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 17:39

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 16:53

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 12:03
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

"Gorillas in the Mist" is one of the best movies with Weaver of all times; only beaten by her role in "Death and the Maiden".

It seems we're both fans of Sigourney, but I cannot believe you haven't mentioned her role in 'The Ice Storm':

In my opinion her finest 'proper' acting role (yes, even including "Gorillas in the Mist").

Coincidentally - one of my favorite pictures of her:

You & Friede moonlighting as style icons?

the answer is quite simple, Jim: I have never seen the movie
as about us being style icons: I will send you a private mail about that

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 04:16

"Gorillas in the Mist" is one of the best movies with Weaver of all times; only beaten by her role in "Death and the Maiden".

In my opinion her finest 'proper' acting role (yes, even including "Gorillas in the Mist").

Coincidentally - one of my favorite pictures of her:

You & Friede moonlighting as style icons?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 16:57
Most things are. Zardoz was a good laugh for me, and a bit of stomach sickness after seeing too much naked areas of  Sean Connery. Judy Davis was spectacular in Barton Fink and in Naked Lunch. Holly Hunter... I'm not sure if it is her, or the way the Coen Brothers use her as art material, but her perfomance on Raising Arizona should've been rewarded.  Alien is a movie I just don't like because it is too straight as narration, but I can see the work behind, and the fact that it features a woman as the heroe makes it valuable somehow. And let's not forget those talented actresses I plan to include in my meteor  menacing planet earth movie LOL ...

At leats your list reminded me of that "Whatever happened to baby Jane" movie. And "The day of the locust", though I'm not quite sure why. Death and the maiden is an adaptation from a book of Chilean writter, wich is weird given that 95% of chilean population can barely writte or talk. Uhm.. I do suspect I'll check some intriguing titles of your reply. Also, I'll call sean Connery to yell at him for making a movie psychedelic in underwear...
¡Beware of the Bee!

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 13:32
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

Regarding Farenheit 451, the book is everything the movie is not. Zardoz... though I can see some appeal in the oddity, it certainly won't go into my "memorable" list.

Edit: I don't mean any offense by this, but that list sounds more like a vintage bondage fetish party poster selection. ¿Where's Holly Hunter, for example? ¿Or Judy Davis?.

haven't seen enough movies with them, so they did not appear on my list. but feel free to add whomever you like. I could have added lots more though; as I said, I definitely missed Isabelle Adjani, for example.
as to "Zardoz": that movie is a hate-or-love movie; for me it is love. and I am a great Truffaut fan and like his adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451"

Edited by BaldJean - March 15 2008 at 13:55

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:16
Regarding Farenheit 451, the book is everything the movie is not. Zardoz... though I can see some appeal in the oddity, it certainly won't go into my "memorable" list.

Edit: I don't mean any offense by this, but that list sounds more like a vintage bondage fetish party poster selection. ¿Where's Holly Hunter, for example? ¿Or Judy Davis?.

Edited by cuncuna - March 15 2008 at 11:26
¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>